The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Ori and the Will of the Wisps. 9.5/10

I loved the first game but held out on buying and playing this until it had been patched pretty comprehensively.

Amazing visuals, gorgeous game world, absolutely stunning soundtrack by Gareth Coker. A few rage moments in it but my coordination isn't what it once was. :D

Completing it hit me hard right in the feels - I guess that means they did a great job!

Hellblade maybe fell a bit short when judged as a typical game but what an experience it was...
Hellblade was a great experience but also bloody frustrating with not being able to climb stuff etc, I'd knock off two points for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hellblade was a great experience but also bloody frustrating with not being able to climb stuff etc, I'd knock off two points for that.

Yeah, it's hard to disagree that gameplay-wise it was limited and rather basic, I'd rate it around 6/10 on that basis alone (though I enjoyed how meaty the combat felt, as rudimentary as it was). What elevated it for me, and I guess for most other people, was probably the most harrowing depiction of mental ilness in games and some phenomenal audiowork that brought it all together.

I watched the making-of, it seems they've really done their homework on the topic and it really hammers the point home just how serious of a condition psychosis is.

Soldato
The Turing Test. 7/10. It's a decent looking game, follows a nice story but the puzzles was lacking. The puzzles are very straight forward most of the time even thought it has some decent ways to solve them. It doesn't compare to the likes of Portal and I probably wouldn't buy this at full price but if you grab it in the sales, it's worth giving it a chance.

Man of Honour
OP
Finished Senua’s Sacrifice. Wow, that hit me right in the feels. It was spectacular in terms of audio and writing. Not much of a game, but what it does it nails. 10/10 for me. Can’t wait for the next.

Onto Red dead 2 now.

Soldato
I completed Torchlight 3's storyline not long ago and did it as a blind playthrough. Last episode and conclusion here:

I encountered a fair few bugs, but only a few that broke the game for me. I have no intention right now of playing end game because I didnt like it enough. Its fluid and looks nice, but the game lacks something that T1 and T2 had in my opinion.

Soldato
Finished Senua’s Sacrifice. Wow, that hit me right in the feels. It was spectacular in terms of audio and writing. Not much of a game, but what it does it nails. 10/10 for me. Can’t wait for the next.

Things like the puzzles and combat are pretty simplistic, but they are consistent and satisfying. The story, style and presentation are amazing. The visuals are great, and the sound design is pretty incredible. It's an experience as much as it is a game.

I'm not saying every game should be like this, but SS is an example of the kind of high quality we should be getting out of these kinds of story and character driven games.

Associate
A Plague Tale - no bad at all and the kid never felt too much of a burden. 7.5/10

Just bought Hellblade for a bargain £6.70 so that should be next

Soldato
RDR2 10/10. This is the only game I have ever played through to completion and immediately started another playthrough. It was so good and just couldn't bear for it to be over. Second playthough was great being a bad guy - you met me alone on the road - you were dead! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I almost feel like there must be something wrong with me because I absolutely cannot find the same enjoyment literally everyone else seems to find in RDR2

It certainly seems slow to get going, but I’ll keep going because I assume it must be good - every person tells me how amazing it is, even some of the kids I was teaching today!

Soldato
I almost feel like there must be something wrong with me because I absolutely cannot find the same enjoyment literally everyone else seems to find in RDR2
I don't know, my brother said something similar about not being able to get in to it. I think sometimes if you're not in the mood when you start a game it's hard to shake that initial impression afterwards. It hooked me in right from the start, I really enjoyed the dialogue and exploring the world. I also found myself quickly becoming really endeared to the characters, particularly Arthur.

Caporegime
Quake 1.5

Overall a very good mod and probably the best Quake mod I've had the pleasure of trying.

+ all in all, it adds enough without deviating too far from my preferred design approach of 'less is more'
+ a number of customisable options/quite well thought out menu
+ particle effects and visuals in general
+ sound
+ extra levels
+ polish of arcane dimensions
+ the occasional level alteration adds a nice touch, something I didn't expect

- audio bug (usually occurs after death, so best to quit and reload/might be conflicting with DarkPlaces)
- the odd inclusion doesn't work for me, e.g. the squid, I don't think works all that well, 'tis okay, though
- I think if one stripped away a little more from the mod with the aforementioned 'less is more' methodology, it would be even better (personal choice)
e.g. quite a lot of FPS titles keeping adding more and more of something, like gore; I'd go in the opposite direction

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom