** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Caporegime
OP
@Acme Who are you insured with? Is it a classic car policy?

The broker I use are an old customer of mine called NeedToInsure.

https://www.needtoinsure.co.uk/

My car is on a Marketstudy Modified Classic scheme, and was previously on an ERS Modified Classic scheme, both through them.

Fully comp, 0 excess, Europe cover, agreed value, mods cover, parts cover.

They are very good at agreeing a good price with the insurer, but if you want all the bells and whistles, don't expect the price to compare with a confused.com special. :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
The broker I use are an old customer of mine called NeedToInsure.

https://www.needtoinsure.co.uk/

My car is on a Marketstudy Modified Classic scheme, and was previously on an ERS Modified Classic scheme, both through them.

Fully comp, 0 excess, Europe cover, agreed value, mods cover, parts cover.

They are very good at agreeing a good price with the insurer, but if you want all the bells and whistles, don't expect the price to compare with a confused.com special. :)
E36 will be staying stock, I'm tempted to throw a welded diff, coils and adapters. But, I'm going to be sensible for now... I just want the cheapest insurance possible, I constantly hear how cheap classic insurance is on stock cars. :p

Caporegime
OP
E36 will be staying stock, I'm tempted to throw a welded diff, coils and adapters. But, I'm going to be sensible for now... I just want the cheapest insurance possible, I constantly hear how cheap classic insurance is on stock cars. :p

Give them a ring and get a quote for standard and one for modified.

Name dropping me used to get people a small discount I believe but I don't work for the company any more... You could try saying and see if you get anywhere with that... :p

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'll leave it stock, you out of all the people on here should know how doing 1 mod to a car ends... :D I can't control myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Wheels, suspension, exhaust. Thats all a 36 needs.

Maybe a chip since the 323i leaves a lot on the table...
I love the OEM suspension, no matter how massive the pot hole you don't feel a thing!

I made a list of potential mods...
- 17inch wheels
- Lowering springs
- Chip
- 3.15 Ratio Diff, 3.38 with ZF5 is good for track/drifting but RPM's are a bit high on the motorway. I think right now the stock is 2.93.

I'm getting 35MPG's from it right now, that's probs 30% Town and 70% Motorway... I haven't had a chance to drive it much, only doing essential traveling to the shops for toilet paper, pasta and rice. But, since I put a bit of weight on, I started walking. :eek:

Caporegime
OP
MOT expires tomorrow, I've driven it 935 miles in the last year... :p

Battery is in the shed on the battery tender, I've ordered some new screenwash hose because the original stuff is crushed flat and brittle, and I need to fix a small hole on the exhaust downpipe, then it should be good for an MOT.

But I'm not going to rush it. I would quite like to swap the suspension back over before I bother putting it in for a test, not that I need to, it would just make me feel better.

Hell, might even buy a cover for it since it barely gets used at the moment!

Soldato
MOT expires tomorrow, I've driven it 935 miles in the last year... :p

Battery is in the shed on the battery tender, I've ordered some new screenwash hose because the original stuff is crushed flat and brittle, and I need to fix a small hole on the exhaust downpipe, then it should be good for an MOT.

But I'm not going to rush it. I would quite like to swap the suspension back over before I bother putting it in for a test, not that I need to, it would just make me feel better.

Hell, might even buy a cover for it since it barely gets used at the moment!
Keep the suspension standard, or bilstein it if you must. I uprated and dropped mine and it ruined the car for everything except fast road/track time.

Caporegime
OP
Keep the suspension standard, or bilstein it if you must. I uprated and dropped mine and it ruined the car for everything except fast road/track time.

I went down a path of making it a fast road / tracky weapon so it felt like more of a raw weekend car, expensive coilovers, pillow ball mounts, semi slicks, strut bars, modified subframe etc, but the track coilovers ruined it so im undoing it. Far too stiff for the road. I realise now that I just liked driving it as an old car.

I replaced the original knackered suspension with AP Sport shocks and springs which were fine, and i'm putting them back on it. Just need to find the motivation to do it. And I need my mate to give my ball joint breaker back!

Somewhen I might fit more appropriate softer road going coilovers like BC's, but for now, I just want it to be nice to drive again.

Plus ive been offered more than I paid for the coilovers so thats nice...

As for the MOT stuff, its just too cold outside for me to feel like doing anything.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Well the car is still off the road, I could easily have got it MOT passable but I haven't bothered due to lockdown etc, so I've left it sitting.

Unfortunately I went to get something out of it the other week and discovered a nice pool of water in the rear footwell. The car is parked facing uphill. It turns out that water had been leaking in through the firewall area and soaking into the sound deadening/padding on the back of the carpet until it was completely saturated, and then water started to pool.

So I had to remove the seats, centre console, carpet, and under dash trim on the drivers side...

oligN0L.jpg

I put a dehumidifier in there to get any residual water, which worked really well actually.

kwUZLTP.jpg

The carpet is a total bitch to remove, especially when it is saturated in water because it is INCREDIBLY heavy. This is the second time I've removed the carpet, and the first time when it weighed 5x as much due to the water in it. I hung it up in the sun to dry out, and it is now in the loft.

RAGUMro.jpg

I didn't do a particularly good job of sealing the weld repairs from the inside because I didn't expect the inside to fill up with water and I especially didn't expect wet foam to sit on top of the repairs for potentially weeks or months on end un-noticed...

So some surface rust has formed which I need to deal with. I'll strip it back, vactan it, etch prime it, re seal it, etch prime it again, then put some body colour on top to seal it up a bit better.

wDPnxgC.jpg
BMzKcDk.jpg

4eNS4Vu.jpg

This rusty spot here right up under the back of the dash behind the instrument cluster is where the water was coming in, the rusty slit over near the side of the body.

lu7h83g.png

I gave it a poke and it became obvious what had happened...

This is where, when the shells were manufactured, an oval was scored in the steel next to the battery tray, this is where the AC lines go on AC equipped cars. On non-AC cars like mine, it was seam sealed and painted on either side. On AC cars it was punched out. It seems the seam sealer failed, and it rusted out.

XVp60Bz.jpg

View from the outside.

QqXI3lL.jpg

The bit that I poked out, minus the rust flakes that made up the missing portion.

GhwOZ6E.jpg

This is my temporary solution to stop the water getting in, it has survived the last couple of rainstorms unscathed. I need to get it welded up. Before I do that I need to scrub it up and rust treat it.

8Qeuv6t.jpg

PCtsDsZ.jpg

Unfortunately while this did fix the bulk of the issue, the water now pools in the corner of the battery tray and seeps through where some seam sealer has failed, but there is no rot there, just failed seam sealer and surface rust at this stage, so that will also get some scrubbing up and treating, sealing, and painting.

dSWTheh.jpg

So the plan is sort this, replace the failed heater blower motor, re-fit the interior, replace the windscreen washer lines, patch up an exhaust leak, and get an MOT on it.

Oh and the passenger seat leather split right next to a seam... I'm going to patch it from behind, which is all I can do to repair it without having a new leather panel stitched in... Very annoying, the interior was the best bit of the car in terms of condition!

7n5ZnFc.jpg

kAnO26d.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hi hi, i'm still alive, just doing other things with my life, thought a small handful might like an update. And its nice to keep things in one place...

Its been a couple of years since it was on the road, I decided I'm fed up with not driving it.

Picking up where we left off, I treated and re-painted this old crust which had wet carpet on top of it for months.

oiqDUCZh.jpg

zpA4XnEh.jpg

I1u8LPsh.jpg

Began undoing the work of my now "ex" mechanic who had unbeknown to me, butchered my car and made it dangerous to drive while trying to do a simple job...

I already knew he ruined my wings for me, and after some back-and-forth he refunded me for all of the work done, which allowed me to buy replacement wings.

Wings before:

SPbboAEh.jpg

After:

9qwTrkBh.jpg

The coilovers were horrible for road use, so I set about removing them.

pzgnnPVh.jpg

Only to find that he had butchered my rear shock mounts on the body. As you can imagine I was rather peeved by this.

E0Ky0YDh.jpg

JlKHiMOh.jpg

bSlEA8Rh.jpg

These plates are now welded to the underside to reinforce them, they are quite thick steel plate.

huufOmgh.jpg

And on the top, the metal parts of old top mounts, inverted, with machined sunken holes for the fixings.

Z4V7dxNh.jpg

Original front struts back in... New brake parts including backplates too.

xEgIT9Ih.jpg

3pHUYYXh.jpg

Did the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, aux belts, radiator, hoses, as well as new distributor cap and rotor arm.

Tf7Qt5Mh.jpg

efeELpah.jpg

HRAipzNh.jpg

Thought I better service it...

zY1ajeCh.jpg

Fuel filler neck had been held in like this for years.

PM7UD10h.jpg

Improved that with this.

eSwq2gLh.jpg

Three sources of water entering the drivers footwell fixed, the scuttle repair is temporary, I have a repair section for it. The others... Wellllllll... Tiger seal is good stuff, I'll over-paint it somewhen and see how I feel... :p

IhwBQoCh.jpg

jy27WhUh.jpg

lx2vcs4h.jpg

yyQ5snjh.jpg

ltzwZivh.jpg

After a few storms confirming that had done the trick, interior back in... Hate this job.

tOg8AiHh.jpg

DIrrjjth.jpg

IsBxjonh.jpg

S4nrXirh.jpg

isVbSoch.jpg

Same with the boot and rear interior...

VMvoAvBh.jpg

XEteVzqh.jpg

73GztdXh.jpg

Replaced the fuel feed and return lines with some branded R9, the R7 I had previous fitted was apparently some of that fake stuff with R7 stamped on it... Who knew fake hose as a thing? Jesus...

v4MLkG8h.jpg

51Ea4m0h.jpg

The old. A section of which I posted to the supplier for them to investigate.

dovQLn8h.jpg

u8EUL0Uh.jpg

Aerotwins be gone...

xgX0Wp8h.jpg

OjEmJSoh.jpg

New heater motor...

yJJFY2Hh.jpg

Replaced all bulbs including the plate light bulb which has been dead for years (rusted screws + laziness)

TtcqwuCh.jpg

Meaning my check panel is now clear (all the check circuits work, by the way!)

meAD4Khh.jpg

Tackled this bad paintwork which had failed previously:

YKwJzLIh.jpg

mJNa1ABh.jpg

High build, lots of sanding, more high build, etc...

zdgItFoh.jpg

Guide coat, more sanding, another dusting of primer (not pictured)

omDHNK3h.jpg

Base coat, as a single stage.

jhz2w9Ch.jpg

Finito, not perfect but a vast improvement.

wbSKs8Hh.jpg

w4z9wZmh.jpg

Leaving it looking like this for now.

A72ekb4h.jpg

Did a few more little things, some scrubbing and rust treating, replaced a bit of fuel line, re-attached some bits, fixed the idle control valve, proper coolant flush and bleed, handbrake adjustment, re-wired the rear wiper/wash which now works again, adjusted front wiper linkage, re-treated and painted the inside of the rear boot pockets, flushing the washer hoses, cleaning out the washer bottle, oiling the locks, new exhaust gaskets to fix a leak, lots more I've forgotten, etc...

MOT is on the 10th. Depending on whether they feel like advising the old tyres (not replacing as I will be changing the wheels), windscreen crack (not fitting the new one until it gets sprayed), or some of the corrosion on subframe/suspension components, it maybe *maybe* could pass no advisories? We'll see...

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Thanks folks.

Planning to do anything with the paint?

I'm going to buff it. Front wings are getting replaced as mentioned, so they will have a rattle can finish like the rear quarter. It will at least all be a similar shade of red then.

The hope is still that someday it will be resprayed etc, but it's not something I'm worrying about for right now. Just need it working again. :)

Back
Top Bottom