Your top 5 worst engines.

Associate
Rover k series blown headgaskets
Ford v6 heavy and not great power both engines i don't like the other comments about the alfa boxer i disagree in twin carb form these were best in the alfasud ti or sprint we had a sprint and many cars just couldn't keep up in the traffic light grand prix

Soldato
Fiat 1600cc twin OHC circa early 1970's saloon revvy, sexy but oh so thirsty and needed a couple of oil wells. Sounded really sweet and accelerated well for the time and the capacity but it was hard to keep it on tune and the oil disappeared with regularity. It probably needed new rings and possibly a rebore towards the end but I always remember it as using oil during my ownership.

Soldato
The 1.9l Turbo Diesel engine in my granddads peugot 405.

when he died he left his car to me and it served me well but and was surprisingly punchy but....

1- my girlfriends father wouldn’t let me start it before 07:30 in the morning because the noise of it was absolutely appalling and it would quite literally wake the entire street

2- the gear leaver literally snapped in half once when I was changing from third to fourth in completely normal driving. Quality French craftsmanship there. Left me stuck on the A34 near newbury until I managed to crunch it into second gear and drive home - but my god that engine was reliable.

But the noise still haunts me to this day....

It was mint when I got rid of it.

Soldato
I don’t think there are crappy engines in the way there once was. Consumer expectations, consolidation of manufacturers, increased R&D spends and more competition mean that that the market won’t tolerate anything too sub-standard for long. There are still under powered cars, but even these aren’t as bad as they used to be.

Once upon a time you would regularly see models with 0-60 times over 15 seconds, especially normally aspirated diesels. Family saloons and hatchbacks would have combined fuel figures of sub 25mpg back when most companies had 6-cylinder units and slush boxes in bog standard mass market models. Reliability hasn’t been perfected, but the absolute worst offenders have long gone. We as consumers have a tendency to judge things by today’s standards but by and large, most things are better than in the past.

Associate
I don’t think there are crappy engines in the way there once was. Consumer expectations, consolidation of manufacturers, increased R&D spends and more competition mean that that the market won’t tolerate anything too sub-standard for long. There are still under powered cars, but even these aren’t as bad as they used to be.

Once upon a time you would regularly see models with 0-60 times over 15 seconds, especially normally aspirated diesels. Family saloons and hatchbacks would have combined fuel figures of sub 25mpg back when most companies had 6-cylinder units and slush boxes in bog standard mass market models. Reliability hasn’t been perfected, but the absolute worst offenders have long gone. We as consumers have a tendency to judge things by today’s standards but by and large, most things are better than in the past.

really, no crappy engines?

nissan 1.2 dig t timing chain and oil consumption issue. bmws 2.0d timing chain. audi/vw/skoda 1.2/1.4/2.0 tfsi/tsi oil burning/camshaft followers/timing chain issues, subaru ej25 and fa20 turbocharged oil consumption/ring land failure, jag/land rover products to name but a few

Cars are pumped out much quicker now all on a cost budget that is always being squeezed. cars having to be lighter and thinning of materials

Alex

Soldato
Rover k series blown headgaskets
Ford v6 heavy and not great power both engines i don't like the other comments about the alfa boxer i disagree in twin carb form these were best in the alfasud ti or sprint we had a sprint and many cars just couldn't keep up in the traffic light grand prix

Thank you for joining the forums and replying to a FIFTEEN year old thread :p

Soldato
The K series was just badly machined and put together by Rover. But the concept was good. It does have a very straight power curve. The Chinese bought Rover and still make them lol. Not sure I'd feel safe with a Chinese built K series though. That sounds like a cocktail of problems.

Ironically one of the best 4 cylinders ever made is also called the K series, but made by Honda :p

Last edited:
Associate
Peugeot/BMW THP Engine. BMW quickly abandoned it, Peugeot still using it, not sure if it's the same project now. Excessive oil consumption, timing chain stretching: 2 replaced in one year back in 2012 (2010 car), one replaced back in 2015 (2015 car)for anothet car, which supposedly should have the issue sorted then.
My brother got as much headache with his Ford Ecoboost.

Soldato
Not just the 1.4 for oil usage lol

Others are the previous gen Porsche engines with the bore scoring issues. Makes a great car in to a time bomb.

Back
Top Bottom