Which Camera for our little one?

Soldato
We bought our chap the MyFirst Camera 2 by Oaxis for christmas from Very.

When wrapping it, I was really impressed by the packages and contents considering the cost.

Come christmas day, it worked for about an hour and completely died. Froze up, couldnt turn off. Let the battery drain, recharged it and tried again and it just locked up on the start screen

Returned to Very, I'm sure we just got a bad one.

So I'm wondering if I go for the same again and hope for the best or come in search for an alternative?

This article from Wired shows this one, and also an Action cam by vtech which looks pretty fair too?

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-kids-cameras

Must admit I had never heard of Oaxis before this.

Not expecting to be blown away, just want something fair for a 5 year old.

Thanks for any tips

Matt

Soldato
I'd have a look at The Fujifilm XP130 or XP140, they are tough, water proof and shock proof. You can find them used for less than £100. I picked up a XP130 new for £109 a couple of years ago.

They are proper cameras but have intuitive menus and features to assist users who are new to cameras.

I've since given mine away to a kid who wanted to use it for stop animation.

Soldato
OP
Vtech studio.

We've had various stuff from them and it's been consistently decent and good enough to be bashed about, press abutt9n and photo taken etc etc.

The studio stuff has a green screen for messing about as well.

Thanks for the replies, quick update.

Returned the old one and gave it a second chance by buying the same product again as we were I.preesed by what was in the box and it seemed like a good item for his age..

New one came today, exact same fault.. cheap tat.

I think I'll go with something from vtech next as they are a reliable brand that we know too.

Thanks for the fujifilm recommendation to the first reply, but for me that's a bit out of budget considering his age etc. Clearly a much better product I'm sure

Caporegime
Kidizoom Duo has been solid for our daughter. Can take pics onto internal memory or SD card and can be easily uploaded to PC via USB cable.

The other one she likes is the Instax Mini but film is costly.

Soldato
We also have the kidizoom and its fine for their age, built like a tank and very simple to use. Just grab a big memory card as they will just use it to take pics of literally everything.

Associate
I bought my daughter (when she was 5) a Praktica Luxmedia WP240. I think I paid about £50 for it and it's fairly robust (no moving parts/lens) and only takes pictures/videos. I was put off by the ones with games etc on them as I thought all she would do was play them and not take pictures! It doesn't rival my Sony A7 for picture quality, but she can easily use it and it works well enough. Also it comes in different colours as she requested a "blue camera" just to make it a little harder for me......

Dave

Soldato
OP
I bought my daughter (when she was 5) a Praktica Luxmedia WP240. I think I paid about £50 for it and it's fairly robust (no moving parts/lens) and only takes pictures/videos. I was put off by the ones with games etc on them as I thought all she would do was play them and not take pictures! It doesn't rival my Sony A7 for picture quality, but she can easily use it and it works well enough. Also it comes in different colours as she requested a "blue camera" just to make it a little harder for me......

Dave

These actually look great, at 5 years old did she do well with it? My son is now 5. I've had a look and on the face of things theres a few buttons, I just worry about him constantly changing settings and getting lost in menus :D

They have the blue on rainforest for £59. Might be a winner.

Associate
Doesn't have that much in the way of menus, a few auto/presets and flash on and off. It doesn't shoot RAW (OMG!) The battery life is pretty decent and my daughter has had no issues with using it. It takes micro SD, which everyone has a load of surplus ones. I found a 16gb one, ideally I wanted smaller as it wouldn't get filled with millions shots of the cat or selfies. Shooting jpeg only it near impossible to fill!

As I said. Not having games etc was a bonus to me. Plus it's fairly robust and has been going for over a year now with no issues or damage.

Dave

Soldato
OP
Doesn't have that much in the way of menus, a few auto/presets and flash on and off. It doesn't shoot RAW (OMG!) The battery life is pretty decent and my daughter has had no issues with using it. It takes micro SD, which everyone has a load of surplus ones. I found a 16gb one, ideally I wanted smaller as it wouldn't get filled with millions shots of the cat or selfies. Shooting jpeg only it near impossible to fill!

As I said. Not having games etc was a bonus to me. Plus it's fairly robust and has been going for over a year now with no issues or damage.

Dave
Yeah I agree, if it had other distractions, it would take away from being what it's supposed to be. And wouldn't want to start limiting his time on a camera because he's just playing games on it etc ;)

Back
Top Bottom