US: Star Trek: Discovery

Soldato
Got a bit messy in the middle and i can't believe the cause of the burn was teenage angst! Also, "Let's fly"? Cringe :)

The show does look stunning though.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
What on earth was that?. Did Patty Jenkins and Rian Johnson come up with these ideas. Ludicrous and clumsy.

So is dilithium sentient and respond to feelings does it on sub dimensional level???

Comical!

Last edited:
Soldato
What an abomination of a show.

If the writers/producers had any balls, at the end of that last episode it would have gone like this.

Burnham would have been off the ship hoping buck can use the interface, and telling Tilly the only why out of this is to detonate the core and hope the interface works. It goes right to the last second as it did in the episode and you see the entire thing blow. It then plays out as is it did at the end of the episode (everything worked out, Burnham narrating etc). Only right at the end it cuts to Burnham in a metal hospital having a break down imagining everything is fine but all the crew/ship was destroyed as the interface failed.

Soldato
1) So Discovery can hold it's own against a fleet of 900 year advanced ships (even though it has been upgraded)
2) Just how big is Discovery supposed to be? That turbo-lift interior section was just nonsense.

There was more that was wrong, including the touchy feely way that everything is solved, but hey, I guess that's just new Trek, you can't always throw a bomb into the enemy's face.

Will still likely watch season 4 :D

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Just how big is Discovery supposed to be? That turbo-lift interior section was just nonsense.

There was more that was wrong, including the touchy feely way that everything is solved, but hey, I guess that's just new Trek, you can't always throw a bomb into the enemy's face.

Will still likely watch season 4 :D

Really good point I didn't notice at the time. It went on for 20 mins traversing through a giant maze with what appears cavern in the interior. Did they just go back and forth in the lift lol?? Even the core scene at the end implied mountains of decks below. Yet outside you can clearly see by comparison the hanger bay at the rear is virtually the entire width of the rear main section with very little depth between decks.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
After that I want to hear no more snark from Trek fandom regarding the dumb turbolift shaft scene in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, where Spock uses his Iron Man jetboots to fly himself, Kirk and McCoy up a few decks - they pass deck 35, 52, 63, 64, 63, 64, 65, 52, 77 and end up at deck 78. On a 23 deck ship.

I always figured that would stand forever as the most stupid Trek moment for starship interiors. STD managed to surpass that low, low level.

Caporegime
Just managed to make my way through the last eisode and oh my god... that was a grind. The whole Kelpian babymanchild story was just diabolically awful and the show seems to have just ditched all of the goodwill it built up to this point. I mean really, of all of the cool directions they could have gone with The Burn, this was just lamer than a three-legged dog with Alzheimers.

There were so many dumb action sequences and pointless exchanges of dialogue that I can barely remember what happened, I was zoning out the whole time.

Generally, the amount of fluff, guff and self-indulgent back patting was also nauseating, even by Star Trek standards. "Let's fly"... bleurgh.

After an ok start, it ended up by far the worst season of the three.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
After an ok start, it ended up by far the worst season of the three.

I dunno. I can't decide which was worse:

Season 1 - Starfleet and the Federation abandon all their morals and construct a Big Bomb™. Then Michael Burnham, The One True Light And Saviour, sets them back on the correct path and they hand control of the Big Bomb™ to one of the enemy.
Season 2 - "see, we respect canon! No-one is going to mention the Disco or her crew for the next 900+ years!" :rolleyes:
Season 3 - Kelpian child becomes one with the dilithium on the planet he crashed on. When his mother dies he gets sad and his cry blows up almost all of the remaining dilithium in the galaxy except some, because reasons. Also Romulans forget that they used to use quantum singularities for power rather than a MARA using dilithium as the regulator for the reaction, because reasons.

Soldato
So it would seem that Kurtzman has had his contract renewed. All hope that the death of this expulsion of anal fluid seems to be fading. Even though the show was rated the lowest on CBS when put on general release, they will be making more of this and Picard for the next 5 years.
Annnnd Lower Decks annnnnnd Prodigy annnnnnnnnd Section 31.

It's gonna be another miserable 5 years for Trek :rolleyes:

Soldato
Hasn’t it been miserable since 1994 for ‘real’ Trek fans? It’s already been 26 years, what’s another 5?

I guess you could say 1999 if you count DS9 fans as true believers as well.

Back
Top Bottom