Cobra Kai

Soldato
Well it finished on a high at least.

I think it won't be too long before S4 is upon us. It's not like it's expensive to make, and the episodes are short. Netflix will want to cash in whilst the show is still hot.

It interesting that show was massive in terms of streaming even when it was Youtube (nearly 100m per season), but they decided not to buy a 4th season.

I would rather the main actors were younger. It should have been made 10 years ago. It's a bit daft that Reese who must be at least close to 70 now is still a threat.

Soldato
It's a bit daft that Reese who must be at least close to 70 now is still a threat.

The actor behind him (Martin Kove) is in his mid 70's I think, he's looking good for his age mind!

Really enjoyed this season, I'd have liked the Japan trip to be a bit more fleshed out though, it'd have been cool if he took his daughter or some of the kids.

Looking forward to next season!

Man of Honour
The actor behind him (Martin Kove) is in his mid 70's I think, he's looking good for his age mind!

Really enjoyed this season, I'd have liked the Japan trip to be a bit more fleshed out though, it'd have been cool if he took his daughter or some of the kids.

Looking forward to next season!

He looks amazing for his age.

Soldato
I really like the idea of using the original actors. It would have been so easy just to let someone younger and "perfect" step in, but whole idea of every character being flawed with regrets about things they've done makes it. Them being older and ragged round the edges is engaging.

Apparently road trip into the woods is something the original cast have done together for years.

Soldato
I know for sure that if this had not had the original actors in it I would never have made it past season 1
Aye, can't disagree with that, it's quirky and engaging because of the original cast. Had it been just a rewrite off the back of the films doubt I'd have lasted the first couple of episodes. It's not something I would have watched anyway, it was recommended by a mate. It has made me laugh and cringe. So far I've enjoyed it. it's a bit of lighthearted entertainment in an otherwise gloomy and cynical world at the moment.

Soldato
Watching cobra Kai is like watching dragon ball again. Each series the protagonist and the antagonist have some way to power up to the next level and rinse and repeat.

I find the whole thing repetitive and boring.

The whole series is based on old stuff nothing original in it. Same bitter grown man trying to bully his way around and meets his grudge and can’t let it go and pass down the hate from sensie to student as the film.

I don’t get why people enjoy watch the same story line being told over and over again just with different faces.

Soldato
Watching cobra Kai is like watching dragon ball again. Each series the protagonist and the antagonist have some way to power up to the next level and rinse and repeat.

I find the whole thing repetitive and boring.

The whole series is based on old stuff nothing original in it. Same bitter grown man trying to bully his way around and meets his grudge and can’t let it go and pass down the hate from sensei to student as the film.

I don’t get why people enjoy watch the same story line being told over and over again just with different faces.

That's fine, there are no rules as to what you're allowed to enjoy. The whole rinse and repeat plotline approach has been the stalwart of many TV soaps for decades, yet folk still watch and enjoy them in their millions. It's escapism, and relaxing to watch. You could miss half a dozen episodes or more and still know what the plot is, (such as it is) you could probably miss a series or two, LOL. I guess there's comfort in familiarity. I sort of find it refreshing that it's revisiting and old story/plot and not pretending it's selling you something new. It's old and familiar, just had a little rub to update it a tad for the masses.

Personally I've enjoyed it so far, but like all things it can't please everyone. Yup it's repetitive and predictable, but it's 40mins of light hearted entertainment that you can laugh and cringe at, knowing there will more of the same next time. I suspect it's also an age thing. I can remember the original "Karate Kid" being a hit back in the day. (Doubt there's many people who haven't heard the wax-on, wax-off, tagline.) I suspect there's a little bit of nostalgia associated with it that resonates with some people. I'm sure many will just see it as some naff series based on an old film they've barely heard of so it all seems a bit pointless.

I don't want to come across as some flag waving fanboy for the show. I've enjoyed is so far and had a chuckle or two, that's it. More so, because the whole world is nowt but doom and gloom at the moment. It's refreshing to get away from it for a few minutes here and there.

Soldato
The whole rinse and repeat plotline approach has been the stalwart of many TV soaps for decades, yet folk still watch and enjoy them in their millions.

i can't stand soap drama either :D never gets any where. tho sit-com is ok, as it is funny at least and fresh humour introduced from time to time.

not much good TV around at the moment tbh.

Mandalorian is actually really good TV (kinda), it is more like a game being serialised as oppose to properly good TV. but nevertheless it is good as it makes you want to kow what happens next (not knowing what will happen next).

Soldato
not much good TV around at the moment tbh.

You're not wrong there, motoring programs in particular have all but vanished. You're pretty much knackered now on any terrestrial channels if you don't like singing, dancing, cooking or gameshows. It's shocking.

You're not wrong there, motoring programs in particular have all but vanished. You're pretty much knackered now on any terrestrial channels if you don't like singing, dancing, cooking or gameshows. It's shocking.

It depends on what you like. I could run off 10 top class TV shows aired or still airing in 2020, but yes, most of it would be from streaming channels.

Soldato
Why can't Daniel understand or speak some Japanese?

I did a module or two at uni over a decade ago, and it seems I can speak more than he can.

This is someone who spent much of his formative years with Myagi, devotes himself to Karate, loves Japanese culture, and has been to Japan/Okinawa multiple times.

Soldato
motoring programs in particular have all but vanished.

Clarkson and co at least brought out a new episode. I don’t know when it was but I watched it between Christmas and new year, found it absolutely hilarious.

I have enjoyed their latest offering a lot more as there are way less manufactured jouvenille behaviour than old times. Probably because they are all really grandpa age now and pretend to be bad teens are not going to go down well.

Soldato
So many great surprises in this season, it's just amazing they got so many of the film cast members back into the show. This must be a TV first really, as outragous as the show is it just makes it feel so much more real!

You'll never watch the original films in the same light again. Usually this is a bad thing but this is one time that I realy think the world expansion has improved the original material. The tone is very different to the films but it just somehow works.

Back
Top Bottom