• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which 3080?

Associate
Hi guys,

Recently built myself a new machine.

5800x, 32gb 3600 RAM, 750W PSU. Etc Etc.

Currently running my old 980ti (Ngl sad to get rid of, shes been good to me!)

Just wondering what peoples recommendations are for 3080s, I assume the top range (ROG Strix etc) will be slightly out of reach due to the PSU requirements as I only have 750W. Size is another concern for me, don't have a huge amount of space, but will measure out, case is an nzxt h510 with a 240mm rad in front.

Price doesn't bother me, although who doesn't like to save money if they can!

Cheers all!

Soldato
Hi guys,

Recently built myself a new machine.

5800x, 32gb 3600 RAM, 750W PSU. Etc Etc.

Currently running my old 980ti (Ngl sad to get rid of, shes been good to me!)

Just wondering what peoples recommendations are for 3080s, I assume the top range (ROG Strix etc) will be slightly out of reach due to the PSU requirements as I only have 750W. Size is another concern for me, don't have a huge amount of space, but will measure out, case is an nzxt h510 with a 240mm rad in front.

Price doesn't bother me, although who doesn't like to save money if they can!

Cheers all!
Hi, same case and cooler set up as you, so word of warning, 10mm gap between my msi 3080 Ventus and cooler.. a Trio would not fit along with several other 3080's. I think Ventus is 315mm, but plenty of models around this length. Good luck getting one!

Associate
OP
Hi, same case and cooler set up as you, so word of warning, 10mm gap between my msi 3080 Ventus and cooler.. a Trio would not fit along with several other 3080's. I think Ventus is 315mm, but plenty of models around this length. Good luck getting one!
Thats brilliant, thanks all!

Had taken a look at the TUF but not seen the Ventus. Appreciate this all!

Soldato
Join PartAlert on Discord, there are usually over 10 drops a day of 3070/3080s often reasonably priced and stock will last 10-20 mins.
As long as Discord is on in the background so you see or hear the alert it's very easy to pickup a 3080... People only say it's hard to get one because they can't be bothered to join a Discord group

Associate
Join PartAlert on Discord, there are usually over 10 drops a day of 3070/3080s often reasonably priced and stock will last 10-20 mins.
As long as Discord is on in the background so you see or hear the alert it's very easy to pickup a 3080... People only say it's hard to get one because they can't be bothered to join a Discord group

Dude, I've been on the discord flat out for ages. There's not been a 3080 drop in the UK for 2 and a half days now and the one's that do drop have been £960 etc. Stock does not last 10-20mins, it lasts seconds. I actually got lucky and was on the Amazon page for a Palit 3080 before the Discord group even pinged and hit 1 click buy now on Amazon instantly and was still too slow. There's no way it's as easy as you're making it out to be.

Soldato
I'll add - Looking for when stock becomes more readily available, in no rush.

The 4080 will probably be in the offing by then. You may think I'm joking but I'm serious: AMD have caught up with Nvidia so I'm expecting a new Nvidia GPU - Hopper or Lovelace - late this year.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Dude, I've been on the discord flat out for ages. There's not been a 3080 drop in the UK for 2 and a half days now and the one's that do drop have been £960 etc. Stock does not last 10-20mins, it lasts seconds. I actually got lucky and was on the Amazon page for a Palit 3080 before the Discord group even pinged and hit 1 click buy now on Amazon instantly and was still too slow. There's no way it's as easy as you're making it out to be.

This is also my experience

Soldato
Tuff was brilliant at £650 but now at £800++ not so much.
All cards have gone up in price so either buy one at current pricing or wait.. I'm still in the queue for mine at £650.

The 4080 will probably be in the offing by then. You may think I'm joking but I'm serious: AMD have caught up with Nvidia so I'm expecting a new Nvidia GPU - Hopper or Lovelace - late this year.
Would they do that if they can't even supply enough cards of current stuff? Suppose it depends how much quicker they can manufacture cards on a new process.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Would they do that if they can't even supply enough cards of current stuff? Suppose it depends how much quicker they can manufacture cards on a new process.

Depends how much they feel threatened by AMD... not enough IMHO, AMD have matched them but not not beaten Nvidia. I think we'll be waiting a normal cycle length for the 4000 series to arrive unless AMD pull out something unexpected.

Soldato

There were 3 3080 drops on Friday, the MSI was £760
Lots of 3070s have been dropping in the last few days for £520-£600 and staying in stock for almost half an hour

Yes they're above RRP, but it's either that or wait in a queue after already paying which is just laughable. Personally I'd rather pay a bit more and actually be able to use what I've paid for

Back
Top Bottom