Looking for fast estate - F11 535D?

Soldato
Hi All,

Looking to upgrade our current car which is a VW Passat TDI 170 Sport. I've been wanting to upgrade it for a while but buying a house and Covid saw to that! I’ve got the following shortlist:

• German as I prefer the build quality
  • Fast, ideally >300BHP
  • Economical (not expecting 60+ MPG but don’t want 25 MPG on a run)
  • Prefer larger cars; has to be an estate as we have a Labrador
  • Decent level of kit (Xenons, up to date Sat Nav, heated seats, reversing camera etc)
  • Engaging to drive
  • Up to £18,000

Now, our mileage is about 9,000 a year, max. This puts us firmly in the petrol category but I cannot find many high-performance cars that fit the specification. I’m looking at cars around 2014/2015 when diesel reigned supreme. I’ve seen literally a couple of F11 535i but they are more than the F11 535D so don’t seem a better buy? If money were no object, I’d have an RS6 parked on the drive. The RS4 is just out on my budget and I don’t think I am mentally ready for RS running costs just yet. The C63 appeals to me but again, just out of budget.

My parents bought an A6 BiTDi recently and I really loved the amount of shove it had at any revs, found the drive sterile but not horrendous. I much prefer the interior of the F11 though.

I’ve thought about a 530D which I know are more than capable but I really fancy the twin turbos. I know from a sensible point of view it makes little sense but the prices are quite close.

The issue I have is knowing which options are absolute must haves? I know I am going to have to forfeit some.

Are there any other cars I should be considering? It feels really wrong to be looking at a fast diesel when I do such little milage but I don’t see a lot of other options?
Miss my 535D Touring, traded in for new 530D which is good, but sounds too standard diesel. BMW please give us a 340hp 535D like they get in Europe!

Man of Honour
Miss my 535D Touring, traded in for new 530D which is good, but sounds too standard diesel.

Note to MG42: This isn't because it's a 530d, it's because it's a B57. The older N57, which is found in the F10, is used for both 535d and 530d and they both sound the same.

Soldato
Yes. And no. I think it's worth considering. They are really nice places to be. And with the 280PS and the all-wheel drive they're very quick and very easy to exploit on UK roads. It's much easier to really use the power on a 280PS all wheel drive car than a rear wheel drive car. But I hear some people like to park their cars backwards in hedges :)

I've gotta agree with this - I've often mentioned the Superb in "Spec me..." threads as I know it wouldn't have been something I would have considered unless I had actually driven one. Just because it's 4 cylinder doesn't mean it is any less of a car. The engine is zingy, responsive and feels powerful. The interior is solid and feels quality and the infortainment system on post 2017 models is very good.

The DSG gearbox is fantastic too. I have to begrudgingly admit that it was better than the DCY one in my E92 M3. It seems pretty much unflappable unlike the one in the M3 which would very occasionally get caught out by roundabouts.

The ZF8 is very good though, but isn't as quick or responsive as the DSG. Not a massive issue but worth mentioning.

Man of Honour
The ZF8 is very good though, but isn't as quick or responsive as the DSG.

Nothing the DSG offers better suits a higher power diesel which is why even Audi don't use it on the most powerful ones, the A6 BiTDI has a ZF8.

People interested in razor sharp shift times do not drive diesel cars.

Soldato
Note to MG42: This isn't because it's a 530d, it's because it's a B57. The older N57, which is found in the F10, is used for both 535d and 530d and they both sound the same.
I beg to differ on that. The N57 535D had twin exhausts + 50 odd extra hp over the 530D and more growl when you floored it.

Soldato
Soldato
Nothing the DSG offers better suits a higher power diesel which is why even Audi don't use it on the most powerful ones, the A6 BiTDI has a ZF8.

People interested in razor sharp shift times do not drive diesel cars.

The lack of use in diesels of DSG is more to do with torque limits. It is also easier to buy an off the shelf ZF8 which can be used with 4WD and RWD like BMW do.

Man of Honour
I remember dreading being fobbed off with an S60 when renting cars in the USA (It's European so ended up as a Luxury car alongside the proper ones) in 2013-2014 let alone thinking of spending £20k now on the same model :D

Man of Honour
The V90 is an excellent car, it's like another world compared to that rubbish S60. The current generation Volvos are very good, that S60 is an old gen car.

Soldato
I've had my 530d F11 LCI for coming up to 5 years, here's what I think is critical and a couple that
I wish I had:

- Memory Seats, don't think these are standard. Can't imagine not having this with the Mrs. weird driving position.
- Electric folding mirrors brill for parallel parking and not kerbing your wheels. Think they are heated too?
- Harmon Kardon (base system in the roomy F11 is naff)
- Enhanced bluetooth, to allow streaming from your phone, connect multiple phones. Again don't think it's standard, someone will correct me
- Surround View, rear camera at minimum. Wish I had this
- Adaptive cruise / lane departure / etc - because toys/tech
- HUD

When I was browsing, sometimes I found vehicles with everything mentioned, or nothing... none in between! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom