The Haunting of Bly Manor | Netflix

Man of Honour
I enjoyed this more than hill house on reflection.

Rewatched both over christmas break and this wins from a story point of view imo.

Hill house was definitely more Horror focused.

I enjoyed the characters in Bly much more too. Hannah and Owen were both really well acted imo
I agree that Hill House does not hold up quite so well on a rewatch - it is chock full of a lot of silly bombastic moments that fall flat (which I wish could have been edited out) although the ominous tone was ‘more ominous’. The best of Hill House is outstanding though... the ‘funeral episode’ is absolutely brilliant.

Both are good for different reasons :)

Definitely check out The Grudge TV show if you want another spooky series!

Soldato
I agree that Hill House does not hold up quite so well on a rewatch - it is chock full of a lot of silly bombastic moments that fall flat (which I wish could have been edited out) although the ominous tone was ‘more ominous’. The best of Hill House is outstanding though... the ‘funeral episode’ is absolutely brilliant.

Both are good for different reasons :)

Definitely check out The Grudge TV show if you want another spooky series!

Agree, I wish I didnt rewatch it as my first watch Impressions were a lot stronger

I'll check out the grudge

Man of Honour
Agree, I wish I didnt rewatch it as my first watch Impressions were a lot stronger

I'll check out the grudge
Let me know what you think! :)

In terms of sillier Hill House moments the most obvious was (as mentioned above):

The ‘runny egg eyes’ visual - that story and that visual were just so forced, bombastic and crap.

There were also some silly visual bits with the beetle coming out of Nell’s mouth and the CGI kitten coming back to live etc...

Would have been way more creepy to take those parts out and leave it more ‘straight’. Save the bombastic in your face horror to the really good moments like the ‘bent neck lady’.

:o

Man of Honour
@kinger8938 oh and the Grudge series is generally a creepy slow burn with a lot of ‘tragedy and unsettling moments’. I won’t say what I liked and didn’t like so you can form your own views but I’d say it was in the same ballpark as the other series we’re discussing and you’re likely to enjoy it as a whole if you’re after more of the same :)

Soldato
@kinger8938 oh and the Grudge series is generally a creepy slow burn with a lot of ‘tragedy and unsettling moments’. I won’t say what I liked and didn’t like so you can form your own views but I’d say it was in the same ballpark as the other series we’re discussing and you’re likely to enjoy it as a whole if you’re after more of the same :)

Thanks! Yeah there were a few cheap jump scares In Hill house too, like out of nowhere for no reason.

Will check it out asap and report back :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
I really enjoyed it myself. I wanted to murder the little girl myself though in the first few episodes when she keep saying "perfectly splendid" every other minute.

A good example of how to do a gay love story that wasn't at all out of place or jarring. Star Trek and a lot of other shows should take note.

I found the end quite emotional personally.

The only thing I would probably have removed was the whole "storytelling" premise being more than just that. Felt a bit pandering. I would have been happier if she was just telling a story and that was that. We didn't necessarily need the big reunion with characters who didn't really look anything like their younger selves.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Thanks! Yeah there were a few cheap jump scares In Hill house too, like out of nowhere for no reason.

Will check it out asap and report back :)

I think those worked quite well because there were so few of them and they were out of character with the rest of the show so they hit harder.

Back
Top Bottom