OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
So the inducing procedure isn't working at all so doctor is considering a c section, reading the complications and one is baby may have breathing issues. Seems like my nightmares are coming true.
Anyone any experience of there partners having c sections?

Caporegime
So the inducing procedure isn't working at all so doctor is considering a c section, reading the complications and one is baby may have breathing issues. Seems like my nightmares are coming true.

We had an elective C-section with our second. It was a breeze and my wife recovered quicker than with our first.

Breathing problems aren't common post C-section.

Soldato
Mate don't read the internet.

Soldato
I was stressed out as soon as we found out she was pregnant. So not much has changed. I'm sure it will be fine.
I'm sure it will too. Just going back a few pages, this is your second? We stopped at one. No regrets, but at times like this it would be nice if he had a sibling to hang out with.

Soldato
I'm sure it will too. Just going back a few pages, this is your second? We stopped at one. No regrets, but at times like this it would be nice if he had a sibling to hang out with.
You made the right decision. I have 2 (7 year old/3 year old) and them playing nice together is a rarity.

I wish we had stopped at 1 like I tried to insist but she wanted 2 and you know what the ladies are like when they are hell bent on having kids :D

Soldato
We both only wanted one. But all George's doctors said a sibling would help him massively. Plus we both feel like George would benefit from someone when they get older someone to look out for him.
Definitely no more though. Even if that means me getting"fixed".

Associate
Hmm I feel you pain. My son is 8 and aggressive both verbally and physically towards both of us but more so to his mother. I have tried both the hard "manly" approach and both the soft talking approach but nothing seems to work. It causes extreme strain on mine and my wifes relationship to the point where things dont look good.

He also had terrible problems getting and staying to sleep from when he was born - to be fair this isnt so bad know but he does wake up often at night and refuses to go back to bed which causes all kind of problems. My wife insists that he goes back to bed but it ends up in a huge fight between them both and no one sleeps. I then get blamed for not doing anything or doign too much so I kind if gave up a long time ago. The solution is in these cases just to let him sleep with us but my wifes stubborn!

Anyway we beleive our son has some development issues which cause this behaviour. We are trying to address this with the school and the GP but its a slow process but it may be worth you speaking to your SENCO lead at school. I am actaully reaching the point where I want to see if you can pay for intervention and it has a destructive effect on us.

Other than that we have found consistency of routine is key for sleep at least - it doesnt always help with behaviour mind. So we have a set routine at night which we try not to deviate from. No screen from 7 etc etc.

Regarding managing his behaviour when he is aggressive: in my head and what would have happened to me when I was a kid would have been a good thrashing and probably being locked in my room for the day - but apparently we cant do that anymore (Which I think is half the problem). So as hard as it his when he is aggressive you need to try and stay as passive as possible, protect yourself and your family for sure from the blows but try not to show aggression yourself. If you can move him to a safe space - doesnt work for us as he cant stand being on his own but it may work for you. All this is easier said than done and if you fail (and you will) and get cross or give him a clip around the head dont worry, dont beat yourself up and try again next time!

But try the SENCO a lot of what they try and do is talk about emotions with your child - at worse you have nothing to lose and it does and can open the door to further assistance.

Good luck!

Tbh I don't see anything wrong with using physical discipline especially in that situation. It's like a chicken figuring out that they can eat their eggs. If the child knows there are no real repercussions then it's gonna keep pushing the envelope.

I would have a strict regime of no screen (certainly no personal phone at any time), bad behavior to be met with early bed at 7pm or before. Physical discipline when doing things that are socially bad.

Soldato
So also sleep related... our little one is just over 4 months old and we seem to be relatively lucky so far (touch wood) that she sleeps not too badly. But we are trying to work out how to handle transitioning from her sleeping in our bedroom to sleeping in the nursery. I know they say not to move them for their main overnight sleeping until 6 months due to SIDS risk etc. so we will obviously be waiting a bit longer there. However wondering if we should maybe start trying to put her down for her daytime naps in the nursery now, or should we wait until 6 months and then start doing everything in the nursery at the same time?

Anybody got any thoughts/experience? (Though as with many things I suspect all kids are different so we just have to see what works for her and try different things)

Caporegime
So also sleep related... our little one is just over 4 months old and we seem to be relatively lucky so far (touch wood) that she sleeps not too badly. But we are trying to work out how to handle transitioning from her sleeping in our bedroom to sleeping in the nursery. I know they say not to move them for their main overnight sleeping until 6 months due to SIDS risk etc. so we will obviously be waiting a bit longer there. However wondering if we should maybe start trying to put her down for her daytime naps in the nursery now, or should we wait until 6 months and then start doing everything in the nursery at the same time?

Anybody got any thoughts/experience? (Though as with many things I suspect all kids are different so we just have to see what works for her and try different things)

Yeah daytime naps in the nursery are a good way to build sleep association with that environment.

Soldato
Consultant has been, ages far enough along to have her waters broken. So we're waiting on a list for a room to be available, looking at at least 24 hours.
I hate all the waiting.

Soldato
Yeah daytime naps in the nursery are a good way to build sleep association with that environment.

Cheers, will give it a go

Consultant has been, ages far enough along to have her waters broken. So we're waiting on a list for a room to be available, looking at at least 24 hours.
I hate all the waiting.

Hang in there, I know the feeling... My wife watched at least 8 or 9 other women turn up further along in labour than her and "leapfrog" her to the labour ward (and that was just women coming into the same antenatal ward room as her)... It really sucks

Soldato
Has anyone any experience with reusable nappies?

Disposable nappies seem very wasteful and reusable nappies bring benefits of cost saving and more natural materials.

I'm liking the look of https://www.amazon.co.uk/Littles-Bloomz-Reusable-Pocket-Fastener/dp/B00E6BC9DU/

I understand I'll need some liners too? Any recommendations on those?

In the same vein, has anyone used reusable wipes?

Any advice appreciated :)

Caporegime
Just use a bath and water from a shower to wash when at home. No need for any wipes.

potty training early too. Best way to reduce nappy use

Soldato
Just use a bath and water from a shower to wash when at home. No need for any wipes.

potty training early too. Best way to reduce nappy use

Good idea on both counts.

We will still need wipes out and about though. I've seen reusable wipe kits which are what essentially amounts to a stack of dampened cotton cloths and a couple of tupperware tubs - so will probably look at something like that.

Hadn't thought of using sink/shower at home :o

I'm not going full on eco warrior or anything, just trying to take a common sense approach and the only downside with reusable nappies is the initial outlay from what I can see. Just wondering if anyone has used any for comments on fit, absorbency, leakage etc

Back
Top Bottom