Running USB-C Cable into Bathroom - Sonos Move

Soldato
Yes, don't shoot me down just yet, I know electronics and water are not good bedfellows.

I have a Sonos Move in the bathroom, which is rated for IP56, so it's splash proof and can operate in very humid / extreme temperature ranges -25°C (-13°F) to 70°C (158°F).

The Sonos has a re-chargable built in battery. However, the battery isn't great and I need to charge the Sonos Move maybe once a day or every other day.

So, I was thinking, maybe I could run a USB-C into the bathroom from a power socket outside the bathroom.

The Sonos Move isn't close to any running water (6ft away from shower/sink), my main concern is actually humidity forming around the USB-C port/cable of the device.

In terms of power requirements of the Sonos, they suggest: "A 45 watt USB-C PD charger, outputting a minimum of 20V/2.25A or 15V/3A.
OR a 36 watt charger that outputs at least 12V/3A or 15V/2.4A."

Thoughts?

Soldato
I tried looking for dedicated bathroom in ceiling smart speakers, but couldn't find anything surprisingly.

There are ones that are bluetooth/wifi capable but dont have a microphone built in.

That would be the obvious choice rather than hacking something together.

Maybe a power bank would be an acceptable compromise? Would reduce the frequency of recharges. https://www.amazon.co.uk/RoyPow-Por...ank&qid=1610301187&sprefix=large+power&sr=8-3

Soldato
OP
Yeah I was thinking of a powerbank, but doesn't really solve the issue, just passing it along to something else to charge (but less frequently).

I think running a USB-C cable into the bathroom would be fine, my worry is what would happen if condensation forms around the cable port of the device?

Soldato
Yeah I was thinking of a powerbank, but doesn't really solve the issue, just passing it along to something else to charge (but less frequently).

I think running a USB-C cable into the bathroom would be fine, my worry is what would happen if condensation forms around the cable port of the device?

At worst maybe corrosion and shorting of the power?

Where are you proposing to plug the power adaptor in?

Soldato
We've got a Sonos One mounted upside down to the wall in one of our bathrooms, the power cable runs up through the ceiling to a standard socket (wired in 2.5mm sq T&E that's RCBO protected at the CU) that's just above the ceiling in the loft space.

Electrics, even at full mains voltage are allowed in a bathroom as long subject to some regulations. Have a read of this. In our case the Sonos is outside of zone 2 and the flex is clipped in the loft so if you were to remove the Sonos from the wall (good luck, the bracket is an absolute pig to remove) there isn't enough length on the flex to get it into zone 2.

Soldato
A USB charger in a bathroom is not going to hurt anyone and your risk of condensation being an issue is tiny assuming your bathroom is properly ventilated and no some always damp mould infested swamp, I'd do it and see how you get on.

The sonos 1 is designed for use in bathrooms it is just the UK's wiring regs make it challenging as we are not keen on electrical devices in bathrooms unlike many countries where standard plug sockets for your hair dryer, electric fire etc are considered normal.

Back
Top Bottom