What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
I pulled literally everything out of it in he hopes of finding he source of the rattle. I didn't. It appears to be coming from inside the dash which means I'll just have to listen to it forever.

Man of Honour
I pulled literally everything out of it in he hopes of finding he source of the rattle. I didn't. It appears to be coming from inside the dash which means I'll just have to listen to it forever.

Came back from MOT/major service on 7th with a rattle somewhere around the dash :( fortunately after I pulled the panels off, slapped things around a bit and put it back together it has gone.

They aren't a bad place, in many ways very good, but so far I've found since they had it:

- Auto transmission isn't creeping forward properly without acceleration - even a slight incline it stops - while in reverse it is only too eager to move :( I'm hoping that is due to the brake fluid replacement means they've over-filled the brakes a bit or something and not symptoms of a more costly issue :(

- Rear fog light not latching on (goes on briefly so not the fuse) - hoping that is just a relay rather than the IPDM :( but I can't find the relay. Was definitely working before I took it in and had to have been working to pass MOT unless they didn't test it properly. (Had already worked out it wasn't working but I got overtaken by a policeman in dense fog last night who I assume from the way he was acting was signalling to me it would have been better to have it on :s from the way he slowed a bit and sat straddling both lanes in front of me and blipped his on and off a couple of times before pulling off again)

- They did a deep clean/sanitisation including the air-conditioning which seems to have made a fan rattly but I think I solved that with a bit of prodding it and turning it up and down.

I really need to get setup to be able to properly work on my vehicles myself - a lot of it isn't beyond my abilities but I lack for practical experience and don't like to pull things apart on vehicles I rely on when I don't know for sure I can put them back together again. As the old saying goes if you want something done properly.......

They also found a very slight oil leak with the intercooler while it was in - I was kind of aware of it already so that is going to need doing as well.

Associate
Fit my rear view parking camera that’s been sat there for months.

No more black screen on radio when in reverse.

Need to take my car on a motorway journey not really drove it to keep battery in good shape. Not drove it much over last month or so

In other news no NIP for red light/speeding yet it’s approaching 14 days but I know which Christmas and new year post may be delayed.
Starting to think/hope I just imagined the camera flashing and it was the car behind me headlights or it flashed them instead.

See if anything turns up next week
Forgot to add I also whilst doing this locked myself out my car whilst doing it :rolleyes::D
Car auto locks after 5 minutes - I thought this was only when ignition or engine is on but evidently not.

Was sat in the boot tucking wiring and connecting bits, closed boot to go start car to test it’s all working.
Only to realise I didn’t have my keys in my pocket and it was on the boot floor.

Thankfully wasn’t far from home and jogged home for the spare key.

Embarrassing but could be worse could have been far from home.

Need to book my car in for a service next, meant to get it done last year but never did kept putting it off and forgetting.

Man of Honour
Car auto locks after 5 minutes - I thought this was only when ignition or engine is on but evidently not.

Mine supposedly doesn't... but I've had several instances of it auto locking after exactly 5 minutes but doesn't happen regularly... I've become paranoid about keeping the key on me.

Soldato
Mine supposedly doesn't... but I've had several instances of it auto locking after exactly 5 minutes but doesn't happen regularly... I've become paranoid about keeping the key on me.
I THINK mine does it if I don't use the doors. i.e. if I unlock it and dawdle around outside the car it locks again. That might be one minute though...

It's never locked with me in it, except when the 5mph lock function is enabled

Man of Honour
I THINK mine does it if I don't use the doors. i.e. if I unlock it and dawdle around outside the car it locks again. That might be one minute though...

It's never locked with me in it, except when the 5mph lock function is enabled

Ah good point - the most common times it has done it is when I'm working on something outside and unlocked it but not opened the doors.

Caporegime
Most modern cars will auto lock after a period of inactivity, however my TT only seems to monitor “activity” on the drivers door! I can unlock and open the passenger door and I’ve witnessed the car lock whilst I’m still in it, door open and all.

Caporegime
I’d never want a dealership (or tbh most/all garages) to try hunting down an in-dash rattle. It’s pretty much a certainty to end up worse, and likely with poor fitment issues to boot.
I guess so. Probably a rabbit hole to avoid.

Do what us old car owners do, whack things until the noise changes, then keep whacking that bit until it stops. :p

Associate
Finally got around to fitting the Blackvue rear camera...
which also made me clean the inside windows;
which also made me vacuum the interior;
which also made me clear the boot out.

Luckily it gets dark earlier. I'd probably have the engine in pieces if it didn't :D

Soldato
Forgot to add I also whilst doing this locked myself out my car whilst doing it :rolleyes::D

Was sat in the boot tucking wiring and connecting bits, closed boot to go start car to test it’s all working.
Only to realise I didn’t have my keys in my pocket and it was on the boot floor.

Thankfully wasn’t far from home and jogged home for the spare key.

Embarrassing but could be worse could have been far from home.

Need to book my car in for a service next, meant to get it done last year but never did kept putting it off and forgetting.

I did that once with my old Skoda Octavia. I was at my folks' house in North Wales!? I had to drive my Dads car all the way back to Derby to pick up the spare then travel there and back again....doh!!

Man of Honour
Aren't these sort of vehicles literally made to be filthy dirty?

While fortunately it seems to be a minority and so far mine hasn't shown any problems with inspections - the D40 is notorious for the ladder chassis rusting out and snapping in two!

Salt residue certainly isn't going to help there.

Back
Top Bottom