What would you do with this extra area of grass outside your house?

Associate
Hi all,

We have just moved into our first home last month and we have an extra area of grass next to our 2 car parking spaces that we have found out is ours. I have suggested to the wife we either make it extra parking for visitors (although parking isn't a problem for visitors on the estate) or a detached garage. However, I am open to any other suggestions if I have missed something.

EDIT: Brown is path which is not owned by us.

Area highlighted in Blue

Measurements

Thanks
Dan

Caporegime
What a weird layout and use of space.

You could pave it for additional parking but some buggers will end up nicking it. Path prevents you from taking it in to your garden.

I'd stick a nice big tree on it.

Associate
OP
What a weird layout and use of space.

You could pave it for additional parking but some buggers will end up nicking it. Path prevents you from taking it in to your garden.

I'd stick a nice big tree on it.

Yeah, its a very odd space, i understand from talking to the developer because most of the green space is not going to be taken on by the council, any spare they add to the houses they are nearest too. The developer is going to plant a tree on it later this year, however i am wanting to check before this happens if i should consider doing something else with it especially if it will add value.

Caporegime
Yeah, its a very odd space, i understand from talking to the developer because most of the green space is not going to be taken on by the council, any spare they add to the houses they are nearest too. The developer is going to plant a tree on it later this year, however i am wanting to check before this happens if i should consider doing something else with it especially if it will add value.

You might struggle to get permission to put a structure on it. Last house we lived in we owned a largish triangle of grass nearby and weren't allowed any kind of structure.

Associate
OP
You might struggle to get permission to put a structure on it. Last house we lived in we owned a largish triangle of grass nearby and weren't allowed any kind of structure.
I fear you may be right, if they said we couldn't build any structure i would probably look to convert for parking as believe it would add more value than grass. I'm not even sure how i go about getting permission yet so will need to look into it. I wouldnt want to spend much money at this stage as it would just be out of interest more than serious.

Associate
Parking for sure. New build estates are hideous for parking; it's a huge failure from the idiots in the planning departments across the country. I've not been to a new estate that had sufficient parking. i.e. 2 spaces for 4-5 bed houses is just not enough these days. House could easily have 4 cars - mum, dad, 2 grown up kids etc.

To prevent idiots parking just get some drop down bollards. The proper good ones aren't cheap, but they're very good and disappear totally into the ground. I've had these installed to prevent fly-tippers...worked a treat: https://www.bollardsdirect.co.uk/co...duty-round-stainless-steel-telescopic-bollard

Caporegime
As above.

Parking. I'd tell 201 and 203 they are your spaces and you have 4 instead of two and see how you get on. I'd maybe paint that fact onto the spaces too using your house number on all 4 spaces in big large numbers for everyone to see.

My dad's street has this for the houses without drives. There are spaces with numbers on them. I wouldn't dream of parking there and only use his drive or outside his home or the communal spaces.

If that doesn't work then I'd get bollards but paint would be my first option. You could do it yourself and not exactly a hard job just need durable masonry or outdoor paint or the like and a paintbrush.

Bollards are just a pain. Like you would end up just using your normal spaces and if someone is visiting you need to go outside before they arrive to put it down or do it whilst they wait. Just a pain in the back side.

A detached garage in that location makes zero sense. Costly, need to run cables under public path and it's out in the open and exposed. Would be easy target for thieves for anything of value inside. That and the fact it would never be allowed.

Parking is the only answer.

I'm surprised that the builder didn't turn it into parking and sell it as upgrade to you or your neighbors to have 4 or 3 instead of 2.

Soldato
Best option is a garage, could try for planning and see how it gets on. It would add value to your house.

Bear in mind that the tree will need trimming from time to time in 5-10 years, also the leaves coming off and possible shading it can bring.

Not against tree's myself but it's the long term things that can crop up.

Soldato
I don't think a garage would even be possible? It doesn't look wide enough that the front of the garage could face the road, and if you had it facing your parking spaces, then it starts to become impractical getting in/out whilst your cars are parked there.

I think leaving it as greenery (although would assume you then have the maintenance responsibility), or converting it to extra parking would be ideal. Although as others have said, you'll probably need to look at putting in retractable bollards or something to prevent other neighbours from using the space - as it's not a driveway, they'll just assume it's spare/visitor parking.

Soldato
Parking for sure. New build estates are hideous for parking; it's a huge failure from the idiots in the planning departments across the country. I've not been to a new estate that had sufficient parking. i.e. 2 spaces for 4-5 bed houses is just not enough these days. House could easily have 4 cars - mum, dad, 2 grown up kids etc.

Definitely someones failure in planning if they end up with 4 cars and 2 parking spaces. Not entirely sure I'd put the blame on the estate designer.

apg

apg

Associate
I would apply for planning permission for it to build a garage/workshop. Yes everyone else is probably right that the permission may not be granted; but if it is it would be excellent for you. So may be worth drawing up some plans and sending them off.

Soldato
Forgive me but is the land separated by a path that is NOT owned by you?

you will want to check to make sure you have a right of way across it?

Permabanned
Just a thought....

iu

Soldato
I can't get over how stupid the layout of new housing estates are. Some of them don't even have paths. Very few have cycle lanes. And the allocation of parking spaces or shared\communal driveways is just outright bizzare.

Back
Top Bottom