Shared Parental Leave

Caporegime
Has anyone taken this? Interested to know your thoughts and experiences.

I can understand why take up is so low, given the sheer complexity of getting it sorted, but I'm hanging up the keyboard for 5 months shortly (on full pay due to company benefits) and I can't wait.

Soldato
I did it, I took three months (after wife took six). Brilliant decision, I'd recommend any Dad to do it if their partner's up for it.

Associate
I did as well, to a limited extent. I had two months off in total, comprised of two weeks paternity, two weeks holiday and then four weeks of my partner's maternity leave. Working for a small company, they had no history of shared parental leave or HR person to provide advice, so I did most of the research and groundwork. However, it was fairly straightforward as I gave my company 7 months notice of my intention and they were supportive.

I would thoroughly recommend it to any new father with the flexibility to do so. It gives you so much opportunity to create that early bond with your child. A rare opportunity without the background pressures of worklife. For your own sake too, being able to take a few weeks off and treat it as a mini-career break gives you the chance to reset. The only minor negative was the return to work; purely because I am self-sufficient in the office and colleagues covered my absence around their own roles. Returning to 8 weeks worth of someone half doing your job - well it took a week or so before I was back in the groove.

Enjoy your leave @platypus. Make the most of it!

Soldato
Replies should clarify if there is a difference in maternity and paternity pay. We have a very generous maternity pay structure but just statutory for paternity.

Soldato
Replies should clarify if there is a difference in maternity and paternity pay. We have a very generous maternity pay structure but just statutory for paternity.
My employer at the time offered the same deal for maternity and paternity. All employers should IMO.

Associate
I took 13 weeks full pay which matched the mat leave policy of the company. My wife had her companies policy. As it is shared she had less time off (6 months) and I had the rest. Worked well for us. I also split mine into 3 periods of 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 7 weeks. This gave me 2 weeks at initial adoption (adoption rights and same as natural birth) then 4 weeks over Christmas and 7 for early summer. I loved every minute of getting to spend time with him and it meant my wife could go back to work and I took over solo care for the 7 week bit.

company policy was hard to navigate but I worked it all out and helped my HR through it. Very supportive company with timings etc.

Soldato
My employer at the time offered the same deal for maternity and paternity. All employers should IMO.

They should legally be required to. I remember when it came out and I was encouraging a colleague to take it up, until they found out how much worse off they would be otherwise and on top of that I found it is standard there to use AL instead of paternity leave due to the loss of income. I fully support the claims made here by Mr Ali: https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/...ernity-pay-below-maternity-not-discriminatory

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I'm very very lucky as my previous company it was just statutory as well, rather unfair level of discrimination but its normal across most companies.

Caporegime
OP
They should legally be required to. I remember when it came out and I was encouraging a colleague to take it up, until they found out how much worse off they would be otherwise and on top of that I found it is standard there to use AL instead of paternity leave due to the loss of income. I fully support the claims made here by Mr Ali: https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/...ernity-pay-below-maternity-not-discriminatory
Indeed - take up is something shocking like 3%. Its confusing to apply for and then when some do, they're just put off by the sheer poor offering.

Caporegime
OP
I did as well, to a limited extent. I had two months off in total, comprised of two weeks paternity, two weeks holiday and then four weeks of my partner's maternity leave. Working for a small company, they had no history of shared parental leave or HR person to provide advice, so I did most of the research and groundwork. However, it was fairly straightforward as I gave my company 7 months notice of my intention and they were supportive.

I would thoroughly recommend it to any new father with the flexibility to do so. It gives you so much opportunity to create that early bond with your child. A rare opportunity without the background pressures of worklife. For your own sake too, being able to take a few weeks off and treat it as a mini-career break gives you the chance to reset. The only minor negative was the return to work; purely because I am self-sufficient in the office and colleagues covered my absence around their own roles. Returning to 8 weeks worth of someone half doing your job - well it took a week or so before I was back in the groove.

Enjoy your leave @platypus. Make the most of it!
I think I shall, thanks!

Caporegime
OP
Thought I'd update this briefly as I'm just over halfway through.... it has been... magnificent. I cannot, cannot, CANNOT stress how amazing this time has been with #2. We've got an amazing bond that just didn't develop with #1 until he was about four! Even with all the baby groups closed and at times it feeling a little lonely, we've mostly just walked/jogged about town for several months! He's helped me do some (relatively easy) DIY jobs and I've helped him grow into an amazing little ball of fat.

If you are able in anyway shape or form able to avail yourself of something like this - do it!

Soldato
Looking to do this when wife finally falls pregnant. She will only receive statutory maternity pay, my company will pay me full pay... :D I look after adult kids at work, should be a doddle right? (famous last words)

Back
Top Bottom