Just upgraded gpu, should I bother upgrading cpu?

Associate
Evening all, I managed to snag a bargain Palit 2070 Super X today for £260 to replace my 970. I am looking here for some advice on whether I should bother upgrading my CPU or not, I'll post my current rig down below.

i7 4790k non overclocked
z97d-p3
16gb 2400mhz ddr3 ram
I also have a 512gb ssd etc.
Also, if it's relevant, I have a 1080p 144hz monitor.

I was just curious on whether it's worth selling my current cpu, mobo and ram as a bundle and purchasing a ryzen 5 3600 with a b450 mobo and some ddr4 ram, or whether the upgrade would be negligible and I should keep the current build for another year or so. Maybe it's worth noting I'd only have to spend £100 or so, to upgrade to this.

Another option would be to upgrade to a ryzen 5 5600x & a b550, however upgrading to that after selling my current build, would set me back around £200, and I'm not sure if the upgrades are worth that sort of money.

I don't really play too many games nowadays, only warzone infrequently, and a bit of DayZ.

Thank you in advance for the responses!

Last edited:
Associate
Evening all, I managed to snag a bargain Palit 2070 Super X today for £260 to replace my 970. I am looking here for some advice on whether I should bother upgrading my CPU or not, I'll post my current rig down below.

i7 4790k non overclocked
z97d-p3
16gb 2400mhz ddr3 ram
I also have a 512gb ssd etc.
Also, if it's relevant, I have a 1080p 144hz monitor.

I was just curious on whether it's worth selling my current cpu, mobo and ram as a bundle and purchasing a ryzen 5 3600 with a b450 mobo and some ddr4 ram, or whether the upgrade would be negligible and I should keep the current build for another year or so.

Another option would be to upgrade to a ryzen 5 5600x & a b550, however upgrading to that after selling my current build, would set me back around £200, and I'm not sure if the upgrades are worth that sort of money.

I don't really play too many games nowadays, only warzone infrequently, and a bit of DayZ.

Thank you in advance for the responses!
If you play RDR2 or 2077, you’ll get stuttering with a 4 core 8 thread CPU.

That being said, if your current rig is playing games fine, why throw it away?

Associate
OP
If you play RDR2 or 2077, you’ll get stuttering with a 4 core 8 thread CPU.

That being said, if your current rig is playing games fine, why throw it away?

Cheers for the reply,

I was getting some lag spikes whilst playing DayZ, but I'm not sure if that's due to the current 970 that I'm using. I haven't had the chance to try the 2070 yet as I am waiting for a displayport cable to be delivered.

Associate
Cheers for the reply,

I was getting some lag spikes whilst playing DayZ, but I'm not sure if that's due to the current 970 that I'm using. I haven't had the chance to try the 2070 yet as I am waiting for a displayport cable to be delivered.

cant tell you if it’s either your GPU or CPU - the graphics card could be running out of VRAM.

if I was you, I would upgrade to a new rig.

The 2070 is a good start. When you get to install it, see if you still get the spikes in lag.

Ideally, you want to be on 6 cores 12 threads for modern AAA titles.

Associate
I think the i7 4790k is still a very capable CPU for gaming at 1080p. By all means plan an upgrade but there's no immediate rush unless a particular game you're playing is causing you issues.

Associate
I think the i7 4790k is still a very capable CPU for gaming at 1080p. By all means plan an upgrade but there's no immediate rush unless a particular game you're playing is causing you issues.
No, it’s not.

It’s a very good CPU if you play LOL, Fortnight or any game well optimised enough to play on a potato but It’ll struggle in modern big AAA titles that need the additional 2 cores and 4 threads of an AMD 3600 or 5600.

REALLY. There are a ton of reviews out there on how 4 core 8 thread processors are starting to be left behind in playability.

Associate
OP
No, it’s not.

It’s a very good CPU if you play LOL, Fortnight or any game well optimised enough to play on a potato but It’ll struggle in modern big AAA titles that need the additional 2 cores and 4 threads of an AMD 3600 or 5600.

REALLY. There are a ton of reviews out there on how 4 core 8 thread processors are starting to be left behind in playability.

Thank you both for the replies, I will see how the rig runs with the 2070 super, I've got a displayport cable coming tomorrow so I'll be able to try it out.

One thing that may be useful to note, is that I was checking my cpu temperatures today whilst playing DayZ, and the processor was running at 95-100c.. I'm currently using a stock cooler however I do have a 212x laying around somewhere that's unused. If using the aftermarket cooler doesn't help, then I'll just upgrade to a 3600 set up I think.

Soldato
The 10400F is also a good shout and performs slightly better than a ryzen 5 3600 while being quite a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
Associate
I would consider the upgrade, I went from a 6700K to 10700K and noticed a big difference in performance, everything was just much smoother and a big increase in fps in certain games.

Back
Top Bottom