Winter 2020/2021

Man of Honour

Effects of an SSW event and/or other polar vortex displacement/split can be varied and hard to predict (although typically they seem to turn into the US seeing a brief but significant cold plunge). Interestingly it looks like a second one is queued up at the end of the month so we might double our chances.

A lot of promising signs for the end of the month though:

Man of Honour
hHlj2nx.png

Thursday could be good for some in Scotland and NE England though it is very patchy temperature wise under that.

Soldato
Was very cold overnight at the weekend well below freezing plus fog made for some amazing sights trees encrusted with hoar frost I think its called everything looked like it had been dipped in icing sugar

Man of Honour
Looks like the East of the country is going to just about on the edge of a front that stretches into the continent Wed-Fri - basically along the hot and cold edge here bringing snow for some along that line:

Seems to finally be some decent cold setting up to the east of us so if the right conditions setup (which will probably be rare now the cold is there) there is something for them to draw on.

Man of Honour
Some decent looking runs despite a lot of variation with the ensembles - but as before I refuse to get excited these days without seeing those uppers + jet well below us :(

Associate
Some decent looking runs despite a lot of variation with the ensembles - but as before I refuse to get excited these days without seeing those uppers + jet well below us :(

Fully understand mate we've been there too many times unfortunately, the Atlantic is never fully asleep and always wanting a return to a horrible zonal pattern with LP after LP lined up ready to smash into Britain.

Man of Honour
Fully understand mate we've been there too many times unfortunately, the Atlantic is never fully asleep and always wanting a return to a horrible zonal pattern with LP after LP lined up ready to smash into Britain.

Seems to be a lot more support as the models update through today for a colder patch after the 20th - I wonder if we'll see the kind of pulsed response in this country to the SSW stuff going on we've seen in the past with each pulse getting more wintery.

Man of Honour
Wouldn't take much for the front running along the east side of the country to shift into a broader snow event for the country - though wouldn't be that significant except over higher ground - looks like the snow boundary has shifted west a little from earlier forecasts. Just not the cold there though for much of the country.

Associate
Azores high wanting to ruin the fun, Atlantic lows wanting to make a return....Greenland high as much use as wet bog roll....terrible runs!

Complete model meltdown again and for me we are heading in one direction, and it's a wet one rather than a white one :mad:

Man of Honour
Azores high wanting to ruin the fun, Atlantic lows wanting to make a return....Greenland high as much use as wet bog roll....terrible runs!

Complete model meltdown again and for me we are heading in one direction, and it's a wet one rather than a white one :mad:

Only consolation looks like the depth of cold is building now to draw on if the conditions are right. I think the models are still struggling to resolve outcomes with the various polar disturbances that have and are going on and could very easily change.

Soldato
Been snowing here in Nottingham for about 2 hours. Rained overnight, sleet started at about 11:30ish. Has snowed enough to start to stick even though it's not that cold and very wet.

Back
Top Bottom