New to this. Please help.

Associate
Good evening. I’ve recently upgraded my virgin broadband from 350 to 500mbps.

Im looking for a new router as I’ve never been impressed with the hub 3. Problem is I don’t get a great signal upstairs in my spare room, maybe 2 or 3 bars of wifi and speeds of maybe 20-30mpbs. Sometimes it’s drops completely and my iPhone reverts to 4G. It’s seems to be ok everywhere else but it the speeds on wifi to constantly go up and down. One speeds test on my iPhone can give me 490mbps the next 30 secs after give me 120mbps??? What I’m looking for is a more powerful router that will give me a more solid wifi connection and make the most of my 500mbps line. I was looking at the Asus RT-AX86u but wasnt sure if it was an improvement over the disappointing Asus RT-AC86U which wasn’t really an improvement over the HUB 3. Any help would be appreciated.

Soldato
Simply put, with Virgin, you need to keep the router. You can turn it to modem mode which disables the WiFi and you can then put your own router on the end which is connected to the Virgin router. I’m using Deco M5s and they work really well for whole house coverage (I have 3 devices scattered about the place).

M.

Associate
OP
Simply put, with Virgin, you need to keep the router. You can turn it to modem mode which disables the WiFi and you can then put your own router on the end which is connected to the Virgin router. I’m using Deco M5s and they work really well for whole house coverage (I have 3 devices scattered about the place).

M.

Thank you for the reply. It’s appreciated.

Yep, I’m all good to put my router into modem mode and connect a new router but Ideally I wanted to find a good powerful router instead of going with a full of mesh set up. If I needed to I would add on a second router to boost the wifi if it comes to it.

Soldato
If the issue is wifi, the obvious solution is to run a cable and install an AP upstairs, anything less than running a cable and putting an AP or mesh node on the end of it will be a compromise.

Soldato
Thank you for the reply. It’s appreciated.

Yep, I’m all good to put my router into modem mode and connect a new router but Ideally I wanted to find a good powerful router instead of going with a full of mesh set up. If I needed to I would add on a second router to boost the wifi if it comes to it.

i’d seriously consider getting a mesh if you want WiFi. The Decos are about £130 for 3 and relay of each other. Any of them can act as a router. As Avalon has said couple this with long CAT or even home plugs and you have a more robust network. Each Deco also comes with two ports so you can use them as a network connection as well.

M.

Back
Top Bottom