Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Associate
It's a cat back exhaust, the cat remains, the @Chris1712 post suggesting there were new rules for removing silencers, I don't know that there are, just saying if that is the case you can cover it.

Soldato
Associate
If you are loud you just get a note saying its loud, not a fail, certainly not at sub 90dB

from my MOT

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Exhaust noisy (8.1.1 (a))
I have a childish exhaust on my 5 :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont think you will fail an MOT on noise unless its ridiculous, or the tester is super anal. If its the latter just take it somewhere else :p

Technically I think making a car louder at all is a fail and always has been, but no one cares.

Soldato
Very nice what pricing does package start at, £1500ish ?

Pricing should be ironed out today for the package.

Sounds great, if the straight through system is track safe that’ll do me. I know technically you can get done for that now but I’m assuming it’s not really an issue is it? MOT wise? Maybe you should do a model with a fake silencer box on just to improve it’s chances.

The straight through system is still cat back at this stage, so MOT emissions wise would be fine. However I would think the straight through cat back might be close to track sound limits.

The 3 systems I have personally heard are:
Straight through - sounded pretty awesome but I imagine it would be a bit boomy on long runs - this was the system fitted in the initial video.
Silencer in the centre section only - My personal favourite. Still a bit boomy on cold start but actually sounds modified - this was the system in the 0-60 / 30-70 video
Backbox silencer only - Much quieter, but still a good noise. Which quite suits a lightly modified car - this is fitted in the latest dyno video

I'm yet to hear the system with a silencer in the backbox and centre section. Part of me thinks it'd be too quiet, but it would still flow better than the stock exhaust, so still a worthy upgrade :)

Soldato
Pricing should be ironed out today for the package.

The straight through system is still cat back at this stage, so MOT emissions wise would be fine. However I would think the straight through cat back might be close to track sound limits.

The 3 systems I have personally heard are:
Straight through - sounded pretty awesome but I imagine it would be a bit boomy on long runs - this was the system fitted in the initial video.
Silencer in the centre section only - My personal favourite. Still a bit boomy on cold start but actually sounds modified - this was the system in the 0-60 / 30-70 video
Backbox silencer only - Much quieter, but still a good noise. Which quite suits a lightly modified car - this is fitted in the latest dyno video

I'm yet to hear the system with a silencer in the backbox and centre section. Part of me thinks it'd be too quiet, but it would still flow better than the stock exhaust, so still a worthy upgrade :)

Thanks for the info. I had assumed the 0-60 was straight through so that's good, I think you might be right the centre silencer will be best of both worlds.

Soldato
I dont think you will fail an MOT on noise unless its ridiculous, or the tester is super anal. If its the latter just take it somewhere else :p

Technically I think making a car louder at all is a fail and always has been, but no one cares.

It depends how you make the car louder. It is illegal to modify an existing system to make it louder (ie removing or gutting a silencer) but you can fit a louder system providing it is approved for road use.

Soldato
Prices I've had shared with me from RS Fabrications:

£1200 straight through exhaust and tuning box

£160 to add a centre silencer

£280 to add the rear silencer

£100 exhaust and tuning box installation and disabling the speaker engine sounds

£30 delivery

All prices plus vat

Soldato
not a GR , but i saw my first Yaris of this shape today, in white. It did look VERY nice !
I do quite like the look of the normal Yaris, much better looking that previous generations, inside and out.

Going to have a look a GR on the way back from helping parents in next few days. Had a test drive booked but it was cancelled due to covid. Will avoid times when some staff there (covid) so will probably need me torch :(. They mentioned it will be parked somewhere to have look around to see if helps with decision making.

Soldato
The current Aygo looks ok too, but they dont drive anywhere near as nicely as the Yaris. I think they are made by Peugeot which might be why :\

Soldato

This version of the cat back is just the high flow back box, as fitted to the latest dyno video.

So it has a straight through 3" centre section from the cat back to high flow back box to 4" tips. Nice sound whilst being very subtle IMO.

Soldato
Narrow, greasy, tree-lined road with big drop-offs and no guardrail (except some rather substantial looking stone culverts).
No doubt that's fun, but I pretty much had an anxiety attack just watching that, let alone driving it :D

Soldato
Got my build notification this morning. :)

Anyone know how long it takes from this point to delivery please?

I think 6-8 weeks to the country then a week or so at the dealer for PDI etc.

I ordered 16/11 and the form says eta 12/3, but not entered build yet. I guess it will be this week though.

Back
Top Bottom