**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Folks, can I ask... I can see there are two graphics settings now, for VR and for standard.
So if I am running the game in VR, I can still see the desktop projecting what I am seeing in VR.
Is this taking away from performance? Should I set the non-VR graphics settings down?

Those with Quest 2, are you using the 1.7x render resolution? Its very slow in VR i have to say (which I am sure is the same for many).

No, the view on the desktop in VR is just a mirror of your headset view and has negligable performance impact... not like games where they inexplicably render a third viewpoint for the desktop. Regardless your non-VR settings will have no effect on it as it is displaying the VR view.

Soldato
Hmm I see, thanks Zeeflyboy.

And concerning this "openXR" instead of SteamVR, does it make a difference which one you use?
(Im using a Q2, so it auotmatically loads the SteamVR stuff for some reason which I dont get since this is an MS game?)

Soldato
Eventually it shouldn’t really matter which flavour of OpenXR you use (which is the whole point, it is supposed to be universal) but it’s still early days... speaking for the G2 I get better performance by making sure the wmr OpenXR runtime is set as default rather than steam. Whichever version is set as the system default is what will be used when you Ctrl-tab into VR.

I don’t know if that is purely because it means I can close steamVR and thus not have the overhead of steam + wmr running, or whether there is more at play... the common theme appears to be that by and large people get better performance by using their specific headset’s own platform’s version of OpenXR though (for now).

What sucks is that unless using steamVR fpsVR doesn’t work, which is a really useful tool for dialing in performance in such a demanding game. The WMR perf overlay is awful by comparison... I believe the oculus tray tool can be used in your case but I’m not certain.

Soldato
It uses OpenXR regardless, what you want to do is tell your PC which platform's OpenXR runtime is your preferred one... currently it is probably steam's.

I don't use Oculus but this should help How to install OpenXR – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

Both Steam and WMR have a one click option in their respective apps to set as the preferred runtime but for Oculus currently it looks like you just need to do that little registry edit (and make sure you are on the public beta).

Soldato
Replica Garmin GMC 710 from Aviatek in Spain, I have a full G1000 setup on order-should be here in a couple of weeks.

https://aviatek.com/collections/all/products/av-gmc710

Very nice, looks like you could use it in VR if you got it positioned right!

Thinking of pre-ordering the Honeycomb yoke and quadrant. You get pretty much everything between the two of em. Lord knows how long it'll be before they're shipped mind...

Soldato
It uses OpenXR regardless, what you want to do is tell your PC which platform's OpenXR runtime is your preferred one... currently it is probably steam's.

I don't use Oculus but this should help How to install OpenXR – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

Both Steam and WMR have a one click option in their respective apps to set as the preferred runtime but for Oculus currently it looks like you just need to do that little registry edit (and make sure you are on the public beta).

Thank you, much appreciated Zee.

Man of Honour
So much better than the Xbox controller!

Only changed a couple from the default mapping. Added the external view camera to one of the buttons and changed one of the view settings. All else seem ok so far. Although I did wonder why my engine kept cutting out - realised I had the mixture dial/axis turned right down :(

Haha I've done that a few times; I'm tending to fly the A320 currently so mixture doesn't do anything on it really.

Caporegime
I can't get my head around the blue prop lever, in terms of which position it should be in at various stages of flight.

Do people basically leave it full forward the whole time and adjust power via the torque lever only? It is this incorrect?

Permabanned
I can't get my head around the blue prop lever, in terms of which position it should be in at various stages of flight.

Do people basically leave it full forward the whole time and adjust power via the torque lever only? It is this incorrect?

Prop pitch/rpm levers should be adjusted depending on which phase of flight you are one.

Always full forward for take-off and landing, depending on the aircraft prop rpm is reduced slightly for climb. Then once you reach cruise the props are usually slowed a bit further for a more comfortable cabin and to reduce gearbox stress.

The specific rpm targets for different phases of flight will depend on the individual aircraft, just search for the pilots operating handbook (POH) for the aircraft type you would like to know the normal operating tecnhiques for.

Soldato
Well, since a new GPU and/or VR is likely to be months away, I've bitten the bullet and ordered a 49" 32:9 ultrawide.

Also got a few other bits and pieces for more DIY cockpit stuff arrive today, will get a pic later....

Associate
For those having bother with getting VR running smoothly, I too have had the same issues and it sure is frustrating however when it works, its fantastic.

Granted the more complex airliners and those with cockpit displays take their toll however I've found a nice little setup that gives good fps, good image quality and a smooth experience.

I'm using the Oculus Quest 2, in my Oculus App I have the refresh rate to 90hz, the render scaling to maximum 1.7 and that's it. Using the Oculus Tray Tool I have the Supersampling at 1.3 and the ASW Mode set at 30hz, I change this to unlimited for the small GA simpler aircraft. The biggest factor for performance is the FOV (I understand some will hate this) I have tried and the slightly limited view doesn't detract from the gameplay IMHO, play around with the values and see what works best however I have mine set at 0.65 for L&R. Its evidently more noticeable during the day however night flights are dreamy.

My in game settings are a mixture of medium and high with the sim render scaling at 90%. Give the settings a go and see what happens, the VR element will only improve as time goes on however I'm pleased with it at present. Just had a flight in the 747 from Brize Norton in heavy overcast skies, emerging through the cloud cover to a setting sun in VR is quite something!

Associate
Dam I made a big mistake ! formatted my SSD last night & went to install Flight sim again and Boom the update will just non stop get to about 500mb and then start again over and over , looked online and looks like its a known issue ! So downloaded this netlimitor and reduced speeds and its downloading ok but its megga slow its taken me about 12 hours to download 13gb ! Does anyone know away to fix the problem apart from what I have already done its driving me insane , When I installed the game back in DEC I had no issues and downloaded the game in a matter of hours.

Or is there somewhere I can Torrent all the files that anyone knows of ?

Soldato
Dam I made a big mistake ! formatted my SSD last night & went to install Flight sim again and Boom the update will just non stop get to about 500mb and then start again over and over , looked online and looks like its a known issue ! So downloaded this netlimitor and reduced speeds and its downloading ok but its megga slow its taken me about 12 hours to download 13gb ! Does anyone know away to fix the problem apart from what I have already done its driving me insane , When I installed the game back in DEC I had no issues and downloaded the game in a matter of hours.

Or is there somewhere I can Torrent all the files that anyone knows of ?
Mine did that I just stopped the download, uninstalled via settings app and then started download again.

Soldato
Well, I got my bits and pieces today for my DIY G1000. The pre-made ones are nice but can't spend that much $$$ when I could have a little project for lockdown!

Tonight I successfully :

Got the 10" LCD display connected, and displaying the PFD. (v easy)
Got the Arduino talking to Mobiflight and FSUIPC
Wired up a button that turns the landing lights on and off
Wired up an LED that indicates when the landing lights are on
Wired up a rotary encoder and tested it linked to the AP VS +/-

Which is pretty much it, I was expecting it to take a lot more faffing about.

Now all I need to do is wire it all together and build a mount for it :p

Cost:
100 quid for the 10" 1024x768 LCD
13 quid for the arduino mega clone board
Few quid for a load of buttons
Breadboards and wires for testing it

Still need some plywood, and some dual rotary encoders...plus soldering iron and stuff.

Should be <150 quid for each panel, so 300 for the pair and a bit more for the com and ap panels.

https://i.imgur.com/MSxMhQQ.mp4

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom