• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon 6900 XT

Associate
Hello fellow overclockers,

recently I bought the PowerColor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Limited Edition and now I am really struggling whether
I should get a 850w or 1000w power supply.
How much can the card really draw if overclocked?
PowerColor is recommending a 900w power supply.
Others have stated that 750w would be plenty enough.
Now I dont really know what psu I should get.

Can anybody help me out here?

Oh and I also got a Ryzen 7 5800X, an ASUS Crosshair VIII Formula, going to get a 360mm AIO and 32GB Trident Z Neo 3800Mhz Cl14 (4x8) Ram.

Personally I'd get the 1000w PSU as it's better to be on the safe side. My old Vega 64 crapped all over my Thermaltake 700w PSU which was within spec so bought a FSP Hydro 850w and it's more than enough for my 3090 now. It's always best to get the best PSU you can afford. It's worth it.

Associate
Personally I'd get the 1000w PSU as it's better to be on the safe side. My old Vega 64 crapped all over my Thermaltake 700w PSU which was within spec so bought a FSP Hydro 850w and it's more than enough for my 3090 now. It's always best to get the best PSU you can afford. It's worth it.
Alright, thank you.

I think then I'm getting a BeQuiet Straight Power 11 1000W 80+ Platinum that costs about 200€

Soldato
Been toying with the idea of a MO-RA, how are you running power to the pump/fans and what's controlling them?

i bought the noctua controller kit when i bought the fans. it’s a tiny little gadget that is powered by a molex, i used to run a rolls-royce aquatuner but it’s total overkill these days.

all the noctua hardware is incredible quality, it’s a shame the big fans are not available in grey like the others but you can’t see them in use anyway.

Associate
There is a Noctua Controller Kit?
I am going to mount 3 NF-F12 and 4 NF-A14 in a Phanteks Enthoo 719.
I was just going to use the Phanteks PWM Hub.

One thing that really bothers me about the new Noctua Chromax fans is that 1) the cable is really short and you need an extension cable
2) they only come with 4 anti-vibration pads of one color.

Otherwise they are pretty good

Last edited:
Associate
To the point :).

GPU: 1080TI
Monitor: LG 34GN850-B (34", 3440x1440 UW, 144Hz/160Hz, Freesync Pro/GSync Compatible)
CPU: 3900X
PSU: Corsair 850w Gold

Problem:
I'm in the market for a new GPU. I've haven't been able to find ample reviews that actually review Ultra-Wide resolutions, so I've been taking the 1440p scores and slicing off 5% to get a ballpark figure. I don't really have a budget, so the easy answer is to just buy a 3090 and be done with it, but the 6900XT seems to put up similar results, so that's that card I've been heavily focused on recently.

I noticed the 6900XT is a poor performer with regards to Ray-Tracing, but I'll admit to being "out of the loop" as I haven't even heard about Ray-Tracing before I read the reviews :p.

At my local store I have a "%15 off" voucher for a single product which I'm saving for the GPU purchase. I just can't make my mind up.

Do we think the 6900XT will be a decent contender for my given resolution (3440x1440)?
Maybe someone here has an UW and that card that could chime in?

Associate

Monitor: LG 34GN850-B (34", 3440x1440 UW, 144Hz/160Hz, Freesync Pro/GSync Compatible)

Problem:
I'm in the market for a new GPU. I've haven't been able to find ample reviews that actually review Ultra-Wide resolutions, so I've been taking the 1440p scores and slicing off 5% to get a ballpark figure. I don't really have a budget, so the easy answer is to just buy a 3090 and be done with it, but the 6900XT seems to put up similar results, so that's that card I've been heavily focused on recently.

I noticed the 6900XT is a poor performer with regards to Ray-Tracing, but I'll admit to being "out of the loop" as I haven't even heard about Ray-Tracing before I read the reviews :p.

At my local store I have a "%15 off" voucher for a single product which I'm saving for the GPU purchase. I just can't make my mind up.

Do we think the 6900XT will be a decent contender for my given resolution (3440x1440)?

You are in the same boat as me.

I was watching reviews and benchmarks for a long time and decided to go with the RX 6900 XT.

The 3090 would be a bit more powerful and even has more vram. But the 16GB vram of the 6900 XT should be fine.

In games you can expect about 80-150 FPS at 3440x1440 with the 6900 XT.

If you use smart access memory you can even get a few more FPS.

If money is no concern sure, you could get a 3090. Otherwise the 6900 XT is a great card and should have better OC potential.

If you don't care about Nvidia features like raytracing or dlss or shadowplay, etc I would personally go for a 6900 XT.

Caporegime

Problem:

I'm able to max out all my games image quality settings with a 6900 XT at 512x1440, generally keeping FPS between 60-250 in the following games.
  • Call of Duty Black Ops
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Godfall
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Far Cry 5
  • Dirt 5
  • Battlefield V
  • Death Stranding
  • Doom Eternal
If i take RDR out of that list, the minimum FPS is more like 85-100. :)

I disable RT as the performance cost is not worth the small increase to image quality in most of the games I've played so far -Cyberpunk and both the COD games. YMMV. I can run RT maxed out with no performance issues at all in Godfall and Dirt 5, but these are not RTX optimized RT games.

Associate
I'm able to max out all my games image quality settings with a 6900 XT at 512x1440, generally keeping FPS between 60-250 in the following games.
  • Call of Duty Black Ops
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Godfall
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Far Cry 5
  • Dirt 5
  • Battlefield V
  • Death Stranding
  • Doom Eternal

I disable RT as the performance cost is not worth the small increase to image quality in most of the games I've played so far -Cyberpunk and both the COD games. YMMV. I can run RT maxed out with no performance issues at all in Godfall and Dirt 5, but these are not RTX optimized RT games.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. That's also a suite of games i play so that seems like the 6900x will be a good fit.

I can even throw in a 5950x and come out at the same price as single 3090 RTX with the 15% off coupon I have :p.

Caporegime
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. That's also a suite of games i play so that seems like the 6900x will be a good fit.

I can even throw in a 5950x and come out at the same price as single 3090 RTX with the 15% off coupon I have :p.
You're welcome.

I have the same setup. Uploaded a couple of videos from the two COD games mentioned above at 1440P FYI.

Associate
You're welcome.

I have the same setup. Uploaded a couple of videos from the two COD games mentioned above at 1440P FYI.

Nice and stable frame rates. Is your 6900XT the reference model from AMD?

At the moment I'm looking at these which are due in at the start of February:
  • XFX Merc
  • Sapphire Nitro +
They are both the same price and also the cheapest models available here. Alternatively, they have the ASUS TUF OC, but it's a chunk more expensive (around 150 euro). They have other models on back-order, but no ETA.

Caporegime
Nice and stable frame rates. Is your 6900XT the reference model from AMD?

At the moment I'm looking at these which are due in at the start of February:
  • XFX Merc
  • Sapphire Nitro +
They are both the same price and also the cheapest models available here. Alternatively, they have the ASUS TUF OC, but it's a chunk more expensive (around 150 euro). They have other models on back-order, but no ETA.
Yes it is. So with AIB you can expect lower temperatures more OC headroom for sure.

Out of those, i would go with the XFX. They nailed it this year looking at reviews of the 6800 and 6900 versions.

Soldato

I'm gaming at 3440x1440 with my 6900 XT. A few other games I can add for you, these are with the card overclocked a bit. I concur with LtMatt regarding Ray Tracing and leave it off where it's an option:

CyberPunk - Max settings (RT off) you can expect around 65 FPS out and about, 70+ indoors and the occasional dip in to the late 50s when driving around.
Shadow of The Tomb Raider - 105 FPS in the benchmark
Borderlands 3 - 101 FPS in the benchmark (DX12)
Metro Exodus - 111 FPS (DX12, PhysX turned off)
RDR2 - You could play with the settings and benchmark tool all day for RDR2 there are so many, but with the Ultra default setting and the advanced settings left locked, I get 76 FPS in the benchmark. By default, it actually suggests running the game at 3840 x 1620 using VSR. Delightfully, you can also run the game with default ultra settings at UW 4K and get 53 FPS. A fair trade off given how special it looks at this res!

Last edited:
Associate
  • Call of Duty Black Ops
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Godfall
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Far Cry 5
  • Dirt 5
  • Battlefield V
  • Death Stranding
  • Doom Eternal

wow awesome!

Associate
Bit of an odd one, but hear me out:

On release days I had budget (at RRP) and wanted a 6800XT, willing to compromise with a 3080FE. Lol. As if.

Fast-forward to end of December and I score a 6900XT at almost RRP. A week later, a 3070FE at RRP. Goldilocks syndrome much?

One laughs at my 1440p 164hz screen on the games I play, the other kinda does also, but needs some compromises here and there in some games. This is running on a humble 3600, CL16 3200mhz, okay wd black nvme, 750 gold PSU. Stuff I play: Project Cars 2, Grid 2019, Dirt 4, Dirt 5, Sniper Elite 3-4, Doom Eternal, CoD (not Warzone, the rest).

So: what would you do? Go hungry for a month and stick to the 6900XT playing everything maxed out locked at 164fps and GPU utilisation at 40%? Or be ultra-smug about your second best quid per frame card which still runs most your stuff maxed out?

Full disclosure: mate of mine already set he'll rip whatever I don't keep off my hands, so don't just say "keep that one, I'll take the other one!", Hahaha!

Thanks!

Ps: still hope to get a 6800XT reference from OC when Gibbo gives the go ahead!!!

Quick update: decided for the 3070. Performance etc. aside, it was a scalping table I put together that made my decision. All cards, all RRPs, 5%-25% scalp.

My 6900XT came with a 24% markup. 3070 FE at RRP. Shop has since raised their 6900XT scalp to 33%.

Team green, I guess. :/

(until @Gibbo decides to stop using 6800XTs as paper weights, that is)

Back
Top Bottom