Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
Mate, it's all relative and yes, better kit doesn't make you faster. It just makes it more immersive and pleasurable to use.
I've been rocking a wheelstand pro and an Ikea Poang chair for years, and I never had any issues with pace :D

Associate
I've been rocking an Ikea Poang chair for years, and I never had any issues with pace :D
Wow, I had one of those in where I was living at the time and ended up ditching it for an Ikea Malcom (which is now an Ikea Millberget by the looks of it). For me it was more about comfort and the Poang didn't feel particually comfy with the desk I had at the time whilst I was studying Open University modules (this was around 2011).

Malcom ended up lasting until August this year where I think choking it with cushions and maybe put too much weight on the back with the first wheel and pedal set I got given. Reasons why I wanted to get the glides on my new chair ASAP.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys.
Can anyone recommend a decent wheel stand? Plan to use the stand with Fanatec CSL Elite base & V3 pedals for a few months.

My shortlist is:
GT Omega Apex or Track Racer FS3.

Did take a look at the Next Level DD stand but can't justify the price point for what will be a stopgap purchase until I get a proper rig sorted out.

Soldato
Hi guys.
Can anyone recommend a decent wheel stand? Plan to use the stand with Fanatec CSL Elite base & V3 pedals for a few months.

My shortlist is:

Did take a look at the Next Level DD stand but can't justify the price point for what will be a stopgap purchase until I get a proper rig sorted out.
Van
Build one of your own from 80/20, its the best way to go. Plenty of plans about, plus I have one that I customised for single ultra wide screen..I'll post it here..

Soldato
Van
Build one of your own from 80/20, its the best way to go. Plenty of plans about, plus I have one that I customised for single ultra wide screen..I'll post it here..

A custom build is what I plan for the full rig. but I need/want a stopgap stand I can use for now. Will eventually pass it on to my son once I sort out the full rig.

Last edited:
Soldato
i have the omega classic, along with the fanatec elite/V3 pedals and haven't had any issues with it.

also, just in case you didn't know, the Next Level DD is built for use with direct drive wheels so is a bit dearer, next level do have some other stands, but no idea how good they are or whether there suited to what you want.

Associate
Hi guys.

My shortlist is:

I follow a few of the sim racing groups on Facebook and personally would not buy a Track Racer after some of the bad customer service and delivery problems people have had.

Soldato
I follow a few of the sim racing groups on Facebook and personally would not buy a Track Racer after some of the bad customer service and delivery problems people have had.
They have had a lot of issues over spring and summer with the massive Sim racing boom over covid, they were frankly overwhelmed and had some huge growing pains trying to keep up.
I think it was fair to say they didnt handle it brilliantly to begin with, they bit off a hell of a lot more than they could chew, and would have faired better if they took the same approach to orders as Simlabs. The USA side of Distro/Warehouses was a bit of a shambles unfortunately, and they have change Distro on numerous occasions to try and rectify the problems.

As Summer wore on they slowly got their act together and are for the most part on top of it now. They are not perfect but they are trying.

As for customer service, I've been in touch with them a few times, dealing with both Matt Sten and Johan Ackerman, every time they went well above and beyond to help me out with any questions or issues.

I'd buy TR again any time.

Associate
They have had a lot of issues over spring and summer with the massive Sim racing boom over covid, they were frankly overwhelmed and had some huge growing pains trying to keep up.
I think it was fair to say they didnt handle it brilliantly to begin with, they bit off a hell of a lot more than they could chew, and would have faired better if they took the same approach to orders as Simlabs. The USA side of Distro/Warehouses was a bit of a shambles unfortunately, and they have change Distro on numerous occasions to try and rectify the problems.

As Summer wore on they slowly got their act together and are for the most part on top of it now. They are not perfect but they are trying.

As for customer service, I've been in touch with them a few times, dealing with both Matt Sten and Johan Ackerman, every time they went well above and beyond to help me out with any questions or issues.

I'd buy TR again any time.

I second this... I had a rough time with my TR8 order (I bought via a third party as apposed to TR themselves), but they kept in communication and delivered. Yes, I had a rig delivered without the seat, but this was purely due to shipping logistics and the seat arrived 3 days later.

Soldato
I placed my original TR80 order at the end of May, upgraded to a TR160 in July and it was all delivered in September. It was frustrating to be told that things were shipping at the start of August and then still have to wait another month but it was 100% worth the wait.

They had massive distribution issues in the US, vendors would let them down and UPS/FedEx would promise to send large lorries to pickup orders but would then just send a regular truck.

It would take longer to get responses to emails at first but by July/August I was getting email responses from the owner (I assume, that's what the email sig said) in just a few hours some times.

I've ordered a few things since then and it's all been fine.

Soldato
What would you guys recommend?

Primary use will be PC (mainly ACC & F1 2020+) and some PS5 (GT Sport, F1 etc)

Fanatec CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 V2 or ClubSport Steering Wheel F1 Esports rim?

Associate
Anyone from UK ordered any Fanatec stuff recently - put my order in for wheel and pedals on the 4th and its still in processing. Just wondering how long I might have to wait?

Associate
Thanks looks as though my order has been processed now so hopefully should receive it next week. I think that due to Brexit VAT is no longer included in the final price on fanatec website. I found it odd that my final bill was less than the main page costs. I think UPS now bill you for the VAT

Associate
Thanks looks as though my order has been processed now so hopefully should receive it next week. I think that due to Brexit VAT is no longer included in the final price on fanatec website. I found it odd that my final bill was less than the main page costs. I think UPS now bill you for the VAT

yes UPS will invoice u for the VAT and i think there maybe a fee for doing so...there is a fb post about someone getting fanatec stuff and been invoiced by ups, ill try and find it and post what he paid

Soldato
I already have the CSL Elite Playstation version base, wanting to get a GT/Formula rim & am undecided between the McL GT3 V2 and Formula eSports

I use to have a McL GT3 V1 with my CSL Elite and LOVED IT. Only thing I wasn't a fan of was the rocker paddles for gears; I'd have prefered them seperate. I now have the PS4 DD (basically a blue Formula Clubsport wheel but also the podium paddles) and enjoy using it too; lots of buttons and a nice feel.

Now, if I still had the CSL and was deciding over 200 euros for the McLaren or 370 for the clubsport, think I'd pick the McLaren. You'll be paying 170 euros for some more buttons and LOSING the dual clutch system from the McLaren, which is awesome.

So yeah, McLaren for me!

EDIT: Just seen you mentioned the esports wheel which they don't sell separately in eu shop anymore. No idea on price but looks like esports also lacks clutch paddles. Still go for the McLaren!

Back
Top Bottom