New build: Grass

Associate
Op, if I were you, have it removed and lay decent quality astro. The upkeep of a lawn is a pain in the arse. Looks amazing once it's laid, you'll soon get bored of looking after it though

Associate
Also in a new build and also have mostly rubble under a thin layer of soil. The ginuea pigs get let loose in the back garden in the summer at times so astro is not an option so since we moved in three years ago I;ve been fighting a losing battle with grass seed, fertilizer, top soil etc.

The fight continues, even if it just means the damn ginuea pigs have some grass to munch. And yes, my daughter loves the gineau pigs more than me.

Soldato
We're in the same boat as your. They just gave us a few tiles and left the rest as a mud heap!

We moved in October but have only just got round to having someone come over and sort the garden out. Luckily we have been given some decent top soil form the home builders but we'll be bringing in another 2 tonnes (small garden) and getting it levelled and turfed.

Caporegime
OP
We're in the same boat as your. They just gave us a few tiles and left the rest as a mud heap!

We moved in October but have only just got round to having someone come over and sort the garden out. Luckily we have been given some decent top soil form the home builders but we'll be bringing in another 2 tonnes (small garden) and getting it levelled and turfed.

Apparently, it's to do with the amount of clay under, at least that's what I'm gathering in my place due to surface water.

Man of Honour
Op, if I were you, have it removed and lay decent quality astro. The upkeep of a lawn is a pain in the arse. Looks amazing once it's laid, you'll soon get bored of looking after it though
I’ll be doing this soon. House was built on an old farm so the quality of the soil underneath is generally good in the area, but with a constant stream of diggers driving over what is now out back garden it has turned into compacted clay. The only way to fix it properly is to dig it out and replace it. Having had to relay lawns a couple of times due to drainage and leatherjackets in the past, I’m beyond caring about it any more. A decent fake grass is hard to beat for creating a useable space with good drainage and low maintenance.

Soldato
If its old farmland its gong to be decent or at least reasonable soil you should only need to dig it/rotovate it to break up the compaction lay drainage if its prone to waterlogging and that should be that, no need to replace it. That goes for anything thats not pure builders rubble underneath.

All this is something that needs to be done before turf is laid.

A decent fake grass is hard to beat for creating a useable space with good drainage and low maintenance.

And no wildlife.

Associate
We had a similar problem to you with our new build in Feb last year. The ground underneath their free "premium" turf was a mixture of clay and rubble with a sprinkling of topsoil on the top of it and was like a swamp to walk on. We had them replace it once and they made all sorts of excuses like it needing time to bed in but the first time it rained it was a swamp again and many of our neighbours had similar issues.

In the end we got a landscaping company in to sort it all out. Levelled the ground, removed 85 tonnes of soil, clay and rubble, installed drainage, raised beds and 300mm topsoil + turf. We've been told we should get 20 years out of the drainage before it needs replacing, thankfully we won't be here as there is a couple 100 meters of the stuff and its a few feet deep in places.

It was a huge undertaking but no other real way to sort it and the difference is massive!

/Salsa

Caporegime
OP
We had a similar problem to you with our new build in Feb last year. The ground underneath their free "premium" turf was a mixture of clay and rubble with a sprinkling of topsoil on the top of it and was like a swamp to walk on. We had them replace it once and they made all sorts of excuses like it needing time to bed in but the first time it rained it was a swamp again and many of our neighbours had similar issues.

In the end we got a landscaping company in to sort it all out. Levelled the ground, removed 85 tonnes of soil, clay and rubble, installed drainage, raised beds and 300mm topsoil + turf. We've been told we should get 20 years out of the drainage before it needs replacing, thankfully we won't be here as there is a couple 100 meters of the stuff and its a few feet deep in places.

It was a huge undertaking but no other real way to sort it and the difference is massive!

/Salsa

It saddens me this is the only way to actually make it work.

Currently I just get the standard it will take a few months to bed in response

Associate
You could make a reasonable go of it yourself depending on how big your garden is and how bad the soil is underneath. Ours is pretty big and had quite a slope which required digging out which is why I didn't do it myself.

Once the weather dries up, hire a hollow tine aerator to poke holes through the turf and into the clay below and then brush sand or top dressing into the holes to help improve the surface below the turf layer. A french drain isn't too difficult to DIY too and would help move water away from the grass if you have somewhere suitable to drain it to. Some of my neighbours had decent results just installing some drainage so the excess water has somewhere to go. You could also install some raised beds and backfield them with whatever you dig out for the drainage channels to save having to dispose of the soil and also means your plants won't drown in winter!

The builders don't really care as long as there is no risk of damage to the structure from standing water, they will never be able to properly fix it by plopping more turf and a bit of topsoil down.

/Salsa

Caporegime
OP
You could make a reasonable go of it yourself depending on how big your garden is and how bad the soil is underneath. Ours is pretty big and had quite a slope which required digging out which is why I didn't do it myself.

Once the weather dries up, hire a hollow tine aerator to poke holes through the turf and into the clay below and then brush sand or top dressing into the holes to help improve the surface below the turf layer. A french drain isn't too difficult to DIY too and would help move water away from the grass if you have somewhere suitable to drain it to. Some of my neighbours had decent results just installing some drainage so the excess water has somewhere to go. You could also install some raised beds and backfield them with whatever you dig out for the drainage channels to save having to dispose of the soil and also means your plants won't drown in winter!

The builders don't really care as long as there is no risk of damage to the structure from standing water, they will never be able to properly fix it by plopping more turf and a bit of topsoil down.

/Salsa

Cheers, I'll do some reading.

Main issue is it does pool outside the back door (as it slopes towards the back door. There's a small drain near the back gate on the side of the house so guess I have scope to go that way...my other though was to install a soakaway, but that would look horrible

Caporegime
OP
So we're back round to nearly February again. Grass started to look decent, then I've done a load of work in the garden so traffic has been high.

The above, coupled with missing the last winter cut meant the grass has got long, dying in places and needs some attention...

Is it worth doing anything now? Or waiting till say late march/april to reseed and feed?

Back
Top Bottom