WhatsApp mandatory data sharing with Facebook

Soldato
I thought it was end to end encrytped ? if they can data mine it to push adverts then I am sure every security agency in the world is going to want that backdoor.

It's encrypted between devices, not on the device itself. So if you can read it, so can Facebook/WhatsApp etc. Much like Google read your emails and suggest auto-replies.

Soldato

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Installed all the alternatives, both to have a play and because you never know which will be deemed problematic and be removed from the internet next. So far despite Elon shouting out Signal, Telegram seems a bit more fleshed out.
Yea I prefer Telegram as well. The cherry stickers are actually amusing.

Man of Honour
I've been using signal for a while and I don't use facebook (well I have an account under a fake name, but don't post anything) - it's going to hamper me talking to people, but I still have text messages and phone calls and email if people want to get in touch.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I've been using signal for a while and I don't use facebook (well I have an account under a fake name, but don't post anything) - it's going to hamper me talking to people, but I still have text messages and phone calls and email if people want to get in touch.

Will send nudes

Associate
I was never on FB to begin with, though did use FB Messenger with my phone number for awhile. It was a battery hog so deleted it swiftly. WhatsApp's difficult to let go as everyone in my circle uses it. Also whichever app becomes the next "WhatsApp" would probably suffer the same fate.

I use pihole all the time even on phone via VPN with blocked ads/tracker but I suppose there's only so much you can do when everyone's after your telemetry/metadata.

How did the computing industry end up like this where you had to put so much thought just to protect your privacy I'll never know.

Soldato
After this recent news, I too am considering moving away from Whatsapp. I was never comfortable when Whatsapp got into bed with Facebook, but purely to remain in contact with some people I kept Whatsapp installed.

Telegram VS Signal, With WhatsApp Comparison Table - Megan V. Walker

After seeing the table from the above link, it looks like Telegram might be a viable alternative. I'd welcome any opinions though, as people seem to steering towards Signal.

Back
Top Bottom