Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
DOCSIS regardless of version wont be able to compete with fiber direct to the house. fiber optic cables are capable of 10gig up and down so in the long run virgin will be at a disadvantage.

Soldato
DOCSIS regardless of version wont be able to compete with fiber direct to the house. fiber optic cables are capable of 10gig up and down so in the long run virgin will be at a disadvantage.

Between RFoG and 3.1 bringing the capability of both faster than gigabit and symmetrical speeds, I wouldn’t worry too much. Also Virgin has fibre to the pit in many areas along with duct to the property edge, change is a lot less expensive for them if/when it’s eventually worth doing.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Between RFoG and 3.1 bringing the capability of both faster than gigabit and symmetrical speeds, I wouldn’t worry too much. Also Virgin has fibre to the pit in many areas along with duct to the property edge, change is a lot less expensive for them if/when it’s eventually worth doing.

that virgin cable from what i can see is just a single or possibly dual copper wire job, what frequency are they running to get 10gbit from it? even cat6a gonna struggle over 10gbit if length is high.

Soldato
Soldato
Then why is upload so limited on virgin? Even docsis 3 should be 5 times higher than what virgin offer now but from what the engineer told me at time of install is that the network virgin have setup will never get upload matching download.

Permabanned
Originally the network was never deigned for internet, it was for TV which is one direction, it cost them far more to give you UL than DL on cable but that is changing with the above mentioned upgrades.

The UL on 1Gb/s (your above Q) is officially 50Mb/s but due to the 10% Contention you can see up to 55Mb/s.

There was talk of VM retuning to a 10/1 ratio and some Tiers are right now so 1000/100 would be nice.

Man of Honour
When I finally move house I’ll be taking the higher speed as it’s the only option for the increased upload. And 500 meg isn’t too much more than 350. I’d be fine with 200 or so download to crunch through those game updates.

Soldato
I'm not sure you'll get that. Maybe £34 and some credit.

That's fine, it works out the same in the long run, £34 with £75 credit brings it down to £30 for 18 months, if they want me tied in for 18 months they need to make sure it'll be the best/cheapest I can get for that time frame or I'll happily settle for a lower speed at 1/2 the cost elsewhere. :)

Associate
Well they've already called back begging, but I said unless they can do 350Mbps for less than £30 per month I'll go with someone else.

Hi, I just phoned up to leave due to price increases etc. About 8pm . Got through to a Uk callcentre, lovely lady. Pushed her a bit, went to £30 per month, then went to £27.50/month when I told her that I could get Sky FTTP now in my area. This was for an 18month contract, and protected against any price increases. This is for M350, with no phone line or TV etc etc

Soldato
Hi, I just phoned up to leave due to price increases etc. About 8pm . Got through to a Uk callcentre, lovely lady. Pushed her a bit, went to £30 per month, then went to £27.50/month when I told her that I could get Sky FTTP now in my area. This was for an 18month contract, and protected against any price increases. This is for M350, with no phone line or TV etc etc

That is good to know thanks, will keep that in mind when I talk to them again. How long had you been with them?

Soldato
Then why is upload so limited on virgin? Even docsis 3 should be 5 times higher than what virgin offer now but from what the engineer told me at time of install is that the network virgin have setup will never get upload matching download.

It's limited on anything approaching a national ISP such as OR or VM, it's only alt-net providers who offer symmetrical services and they cover a tiny proportion of the UK at present. Just because a standard is capable of a certain speed doesn’t mean that every single implementation will be configured for it, same way OR choose to sell 900Mbit FTTP when it's easy enough to do 1Gbit or 10Gbit. The majority of people buy broadband based on the 'big number' or its advertised download speed. That's the way the industry has always been since ADSL was a thing, mostly it's down to cost and attempting to differentiate your markets.

The 'engineer' is not actually an engineer, he's an installer who has next to no insight into what does or doesn't happen at a network or commercial level. Would I expect symmetrical uploads? No, it's unlikely, but I would expect them to improve once the 3.1 upgrade happens across the network, remember the focus of the whole industry is in providing gigabit ultra fast broadband to the masses, nobody said that was supposed to be symmetrical.

Soldato
with these docsis changes its not the actual cable they come out and replace so how far can the current installed cables go?
docsis3-1.jpg

after all its just copper coax cable been around for decades.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shamelessly ripped from Wiki

Coaxial cable was used in the first (1858) and following transatlantic cable installations, but its theory wasn't described until 1880 by English physicist, engineer, and mathematician Oliver Heaviside, who patented the design in that year (British patent No. 1,407)

You can't keep a good cable down it seems ;)

Back
Top Bottom