Microsoft Office - Training a parent...

Soldato
Evening All,

I'm looking for recommendations on materials or training providers for Microsoft Office.

My mother is approaching 60 and whilst not a complete technophobe (with an iPhone and a Laptop) she has, like most many from her generation I expect, been somewhat left behind.

Working for herself for the last 25+ years hasn't required her to really engage with computers and she's looking for part-time employment and a change of scenery.

Beyond some very basic bookkeeping in excel (simple data entry and basic formatting) she can browse the internet for simple online shopping, e-mail via web and organise her local files without too much issue. She's had exposure to Word so is probably 'familiar' with it at best but has not used Outlook.

Ideally I'm looking for some sort of basic certification that she could evidence to a potential new employer or temp agency to show that she has some basic proficiency and to also build her own self confidence.

If you could perhaps point me towards a decent Youtube series or a reasonably priced training provider I'd be grateful. If I had the time to train her myself, I would!

Thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
This is what the ECDL was supposed to be for, however I'm unsure if that's even a thing anymore or if it's very useful with employers in reality. In our military trade training we did it in an afternoon (finish it and you can go home early :o)

Soldato
Sounds like she is more competent than most folk I know who use Office! I've not heard of being "Office certified" or anything, though. There are tutorials for pretty much anything you'd ever want to do available on YouTube and similar, couldn't hurt for her to gain further competence by doing some of these? I've used many different free ones and found them all to be useful. I don't think paying for one will harbour much benefit over the wealth of free stuff out there.

This Udemy Excel course is currently free for another day: https://www.udemy.com/course/micros...dium=udemyads&couponCode=66A103A1B3BC44F5ACF6

Back
Top Bottom