• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x now vs 5900x pre-order

Associate
I kinda wanted a 5900x but given that I can't buy one anywhere, I got impatient and ordered a 5800x thinking that given that the machine is mostly used for Software Dev and Gaming / Sim Racing, I probably won't actually miss the performance from the 5900x.

I'm coming from a 3600 that is earmarked for another build.

I'm wondering whether anyone knows the deal with the 5900x and how long I could expect to wait for one, but also people's opinions on whether waiting for a 5900x will be worth it.

Associate
I did the same thing. 5800x ordered on Sunday night.
I am coming from a 2700x and I think it will be fine!

Not shipped yet sadly :(
Rest of my parts waiting to be assembled!

Associate
I kinda wanted a 5900x but given that I can't buy one anywhere, I got impatient and ordered a 5800x thinking that given that the machine is mostly used for Software Dev and Gaming / Sim Racing, I probably won't actually miss the performance from the 5900x.

I'm coming from a 3600 that is earmarked for another build.

I'm wondering whether anyone knows the deal with the 5900x and how long I could expect to wait for one, but also people's opinions on whether waiting for a 5900x will be worth it.

A lot of people got pretty hyped and jumped for the higher core count so there are a ton of orders out there. Apparently a large AMD shipment got delayed so that’s probably also why it’s taking longer to close preorders.

5800x will be more than enough for gaming and development.

Associate
OP
I actually ordered my 5800x from somewhere else, as they promised me that I'd have it tomorrow and OCUK didn't have the Corsair AIO in stock (I'm currently using the OEM cooler that came with my 3600).

The more I read and think about it, the more I think the 5800x is the better choice today.

Soldato
You wont notice any difference this year or next. However, the 5800x may need replacing in 4 years while the 5900x may last 6 years. All we can do is guess.

Though judging by how long you kept your previous CPU, you`ll probably replace it in a year or two anyway so it makes no difference.

Associate
You wont notice any difference this year or next. However, the 5800x may need replacing in 4 years while the 5900x may last 6 years. All we can do is guess.

Though judging by how long you kept your previous CPU, you`ll probably replace it in a year or two anyway so it makes no difference.
I think the vast majority like to tell themselves that in 6 years the 5900x will be better thats great but its no i7 970, that would have been a great buy

most say they will keep it for 6 years but then get a itch 1-2 years later or maybe 3 years max

go with the CPU you want for the next 2 years

Soldato
I think the vast majority like to tell themselves that in 6 years the 5900x will be better thats great but its no i7 970, that would have been a great buy

most say they will keep it for 6 years but then get a itch 1-2 years later or maybe 3 years max

Yeah you`re right. The 970 was released at a time when progress had grinded to a hault so an average CPU lastest far too long.

We dont know what`s going to happen in the future. Progres could continue at it`s current rate of 15% to 20% per year or it could slow back down again to 4% per year. If progress does slow to that extent, then the 5800x would be heralded as the next 970 and that`s not a good thing at all. It`s bad when a peice of hardware stays relevant for that long due to a lack of further inovation.

Soldato

That's the best thing to do also IMO, pointless buying a 12 or 16 core if you game and do some multitasking, unless you actually do somehow need those extra cores.

We're back to decent upgrades at least every 2 generations by the seems of it, doesn't mean that current stuff will be rubbish then, just that you'd likely get up to maybe a 40% jump if you upgraded.

Associate
I got impatient...

Yup fair dues, at least you admit it.

Is a 5900x 'worth it' is of course subjective imho it comes down to cost and wait so if you paid msrp and can actually get one in the next few weeks then I'd say yes it is, but if you are facing months of delay and inflating pricing then no it isn't (which also applies to costs of a 5800x, don't overpay for one)

Will significant 5900x stock arrive and ship in the next week? I don't know I hope it does but this information tends to get obscured behind AMD partners, distributors, retailers and logistics companies.... and no one seems accountable so I wouldn't believe anything until people are being told items are being dispatched tbh its all BS and hearsay.

Associate
5800X £40 off retail price for sale somewhere right now and in stock if anyones looking. I'd jump at this but then I'd have to find a home for my unused 5600X

Associate
Yeah. everyones use case is different.
I do use windows and game.
But I also use linux quite a bit with VMs and sometimes use gentoo which means much code compiling.
So I could probably justify the 5900x.
But my 5800x still has not shipped so it's quite hard to return it ;)

Associate
Same as others, I was looking at the 5900x since the start, however the 6 good cores and 6 weak cores put me off, but then the 5800x has been priced too high. Well, until now, I just paid £372 for a 5800x which I've no issue with as I've not changed mobo once on AM4 platform :)

Back
Top Bottom