It's the season to enjoy some dark beers, right?

Soldato
Yeh they can be pretty expensive, the barrel aged ones can be near the £12-15 mark (for a 330cl can!). But they are a treat (and a lot of work and time goes into producing them).

I'm in Cheltenham, we have one of the best bottle shops in the country Favourite Beers

The owner is a big fan of strong dark beers so they have plenty of this sort of thing. I have also bought online a fair few times last year too. My go places were Rad Beer, Premier Hop, Little Leeds Beerhouse......and a few others.

Normally if you goggle the name of a beer, the shops that have it come up normally.

Soldato
Currently 1C here in Flatland, and a great time for this dark beers case to arrive from my brother as a belated Xmas present.

QriuWSH.jpg

It was damn cold when it came off the delivery van, it didn't need to be refrigerated! :D The porter is astonishingly good for 4.8%.

Might get a pack myself, what courier did they use?

Capodecina
Soldato
You guys need to try Lost and Grounded's Baltic Porter, "Running with Spectres":
http://lostandgrounded.co.uk/beers/

Coffee and grapefruit make a delicious combo

I was surprised to see it stocked in a supermarket in Milngavie the other day, I think they're growing their distribution.

I've had it before on tap - quite decent - it's an IPA though, not a porter.

EDIT: Oh, Running with Spectres. Haven't tried it, will try to seek it out, thanks for the recommendation.

Associate
AU06ZZBK-1.jpg

the munich dunkel is a fine style, often overlooked in the craft beer world

Man of Honour
Good call & Augustiner is arguably one of the best, I used to go to Munich for work a couple of times a year and both their Dunkel and Helles are amazing - spent many a happy evening at their beer garden and beer cellar.

Soldato
If I had to pick a single beer to drink, it would Augustiner Helles. It was my go to when I lived in Germany, stroll to town, pick up a couple of cold ones from the Büdchen and sit by the river in the sunshine, bliss!

The local beer where I lived (Düsseldorf) is Altbier, it's a dark, top-fermented beer, drunk in small 200ml glasses. Schumacher, Ueriger are the two nicest that get exported, from the really old breweries. Although I'm quite partial to Kürze which was was a fairly recent, hipster brewery in town.

Soldato
its funny how differently bravaria and rhineland serve beers - while you have to love a stupidly large stein theres something great about someone constantly bringing you a new, tiny glass of cold beer :)

Yeah, it's great, as soon as your glass empties, like magic the barman's there to replace it with a fresh one. Can be dangerous sitting in an Alt brewery....only small glasses but most of them are >5%, before you know you try to stand up and realise how much you've had :p

Kölsch comes in taller, thinner glasses.

Jeez the rivalry between Düsseldorf and Koln.....I asked for a Kölsch in Düsseldorf once and the guy looked at me like I'd just dropped my pants and taken a dump on the floor....you'd probably get lynched if you were caught with one at the football :D

Back
Top Bottom