Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
Pretty sure Strava over reads by quite a bit.

Having a look at estimated power from our club rides (from those that don't have a PM), some tend to have similar averages to me, despite sitting on the back doing F all.

Mu estimated FTP in the power page is bang on, but all the data has come from a PWM - so it should be!

Just get a power meter!! :cool::D

dod

dod

Soldato
just over a year on, more than happy with progress
Thought I'd join in. done very little this last 18 months or so but personal life is now back on track and planning a lot more activity this year. Dropped 5kG since January, planing to drop another 5 and got a proper gym routine sorted out again.

*Username - dod
Age - 56

*Height - 5'10"
*Weight - 80KG > 75.5
*FTP (60min) - 195 > 240
CP (20min) - 208 > 241
5min - 243 > 285
1min - 326 > 441
5sec - 888 > 844
1sec - 930 > 862
Gear - elite direto. / garmin vectors
Info - all figures taken from strava/garmins

Associate
Lockdown has been kind to me. I’ve dropped ~9kg to 75kg and the FTP is around the 300W mark now. 14 min climbs can be done at around 320W.
Don’t know how much of that I’ll take into winter. The next goal is 70kg for the Majorca 312 in April. If it goes ahead.

Soldato
That's why I was interested in Strava just telling me my FTP, rather than doing a test :)

Stravas own figures aren't going to be at all accurate due to variances in road quality, wind speed and direction, traffic, position on the bike and so on. If all of those factors are exactly the same bar position on the bike, there will still be a big difference in the figures. It doesn't know how aero your position is and that alone makes it fairly pointless.

Soldato
Stravas own figures aren't going to be at all accurate due to variances in road quality, wind speed and direction, traffic, position on the bike and so on. If all of those factors are exactly the same bar position on the bike, there will still be a big difference in the figures. It doesn't know how aero your position is and that alone makes it fairly pointless.

Surely not? If I have wind in my face, I'm doing 20mph it will know because I am putting in more power than when I am doing 20mph with the wind behind me. The power meter is literally measuring the power through the crank, no? It doesn't need to know wind, gradient, speed etc. The same as my Stryd. I can see when I run uphill as my power increases.

Oh, I just realise you think it's Strava's own estimates. It's not.

Soldato
Surely not? If I have wind in my face, I'm doing 20mph it will know because I am putting in more power than when I am doing 20mph with the wind behind me. The power meter is literally measuring the power through the crank, no? It doesn't need to know wind, gradient, speed etc. The same as my Stryd. I can see when I run uphill as my power increases.

Oh, I just realise you think it's Strava's own estimates. It's not.

Ah, if pm ignore. Still pretty tricky to do a controlled test on road. Some people are lucky in that respect with quiet roads, straight, constant gradient etc. I can't think of anywhere near me I could get even 20 minutes in constant without having to slowdown at some point :D

Soldato
I've not got numbers to compare for the shorter durations, but at the National 50 I held 266w for 1:47 which is 4w shy of what I was doing for a 25 last year, so this year has gone well! Going to get some aero testing over winter and hopefully build on that for next year.

Soldato
OP
I've not got numbers to compare for the shorter durations, but at the National 50 I held 266w for 1:47 which is 4w shy of what I was doing for a 25 last year, so this year has gone well! Going to get some aero testing over winter and hopefully build on that for next year.

Who/where are you going to do aero testing?

Soldato

Top power for the distance. I'm going to get one of the local bioracer visual stuff got 2 down here that are highly recommended and used both for other services so know they're top blokes. Definitely think you'd benefit as I did a 1.47.30 off 250w from memory and I dropped my chain twice.

Soldato
Who/where are you going to do aero testing?

I’m on the waitlist for Wattshop, the velodrome is still shut though so might be a bit of a wait, especially if things go south again. As long as it’s before April!

Top power for the distance. I'm going to get one of the local bioracer visual stuff got 2 down here that are highly recommended and used both for other services so know they're top blokes. Definitely think you'd benefit as I did a 1.47.30 off 250w from memory and I dropped my chain twice.

Definitely think there are gains to be made, but it also wasn't the fastest course in the world (despite the winner doing 1:36!). Would like to ride a fast 50 at some point next year.

Soldato
Bit of an update after my ride tonight on some peak powers that i wasn't expecting/aiiming for.

Username - SoliD
Age - 36
Height - 5ft 9in
Weight - 67.5KG 69KG
FTP (60min) - 278W FTP W/KG - 4.09
CP (20min) - 294W CP W/KG -4.23
5min - 364W
1min - 478W
5sec - 896W

1sec -
Gear - Quarq Dzero
Info -
Combo of CX Race and 10 Mile TT.

Soldato
About time I brought these up to date, actually pretty useful for tracking.

Username - One More Solo
Age - 32
Height - 5ft 11in (still)
Weight - 65KG (+3kg)
FTP (60min) - 273w (still) W/KG - 4.2
CP20 - 307w W/KG - 4.72
CP5 - 350w W/KG - 5.38

CP figures from a 5 and 20 minute test this weekend. I've not done a 60 minute effort for a while but I think it would be more like 295w on the road these days. I switched coaches back in September 2019 and since then have gained +35w on my CP5 and CP20, which I'm delighted with as I thought as I was starting from a fairly trained base - clearly not!

Soldato
What are they making you differently then for that increase ?

I'll need to do testing with accurate power again. I lowered my FTP to 300w on Strava as zwift had inflated it. Hard to be fully motivated with the prospect of no racing.

Back
Top Bottom