Virgin 200mb installation advice

Soldato
Hi guys,

I currently have Virgin 100mb and it's been great, I use a gigabit powerplug to get full speed upstairs in my room with the router being downstairs.

What would the most cost efficient way of getting the 200mb upstairs? As I understand, my current gigabit plugs will throttle the speed?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi guys,

I currently have Virgin 100mb and it's been great, I use a gigabit powerplug to get full speed upstairs in my room with the router being downstairs.

What would the most cost efficient way of getting the 200mb upstairs? As I understand, my current gigabit plugs will throttle the speed?

Thanks

Most cost efficient? Run a cable.

I’ve never had much luck with power lines - they’ve been too susceptible to noise and distance.

I’ve used high quality mesh systems, but they cost a fair amount. My current Zyxel Multy setup was about £400, but on a 350Mb connection, I get 48MB download speed on Steam. On a Gigabit power line I was only getting about 8MB.

And this is with the primary access point in a room with brick walls. I believe that the APs are syncing at 550Mb.

Soldato
CAT5e would be fine - depending on the speed your Gb plugs are running at it may not throttle it (do they have Gb ports? If you look into the manager what is the connection speed?). I've got TP-Link and 1Gb plugs which run fine - though they can be annoying at times as mine occasionally crash - same with the old Devolo ones.

M.

Soldato
OP
CAT5e would be fine - depending on the speed your Gb plugs are running at it may not throttle it (do they have Gb ports? If you look into the manager what is the connection speed?). I've got TP-Link and 1Gb plugs which run fine - though they can be annoying at times as mine occasionally crash - same with the old Devolo ones.

M.
Thanks buddy, may just bite the bullet and cable the house then. Hopefully my existing cat 5e that I have 20metres of will give me full 200mb !

Soldato
5e will usually do 10Gb over the sort of runs found in domestic property, unless it's CCA or you terminated it with your teeth.

Soldato
5e will usually do 10Gb over the sort of runs found in domestic property, unless it's CCA or you terminated it with your teeth.

i know cat5e does gigabit even cca stuff manages that on short runs, never knew it would be possible to use it for 10Gb. have you got installs where cat5e is doing 10g speeds?

Back
Top Bottom