Dog owners - carpet

Soldato
Hi,

My double doors to the garden open onto the carpeted living room. The only other access to the outside would be my hardwood hallway to front door opening onto a road.

Does anyone here have the same and have a dog? I could buy a rug or throw down a towel for the double doors but it means trying to train them not to run straight in so I can wipe the feet. Alternatively, I put them on a lead every time they want to go to the toilet outside and take them out the front.

Any suggestions for what you do? Really don't want to wreck the carpets.

Thanks!

Soldato
I have three dogs. This stuff just goes with the territory, just like owning loads of outdoor kit for all weather walkies and stuffing the pockets with little plastic bags.

We do vacuum an awful lot, but there are some pretty decent machines out there nowadays. We have one of the corded Shark models. Other than that, you just give up on having swanky carpets (which are up there with leather corner sofas and Gucci belts, TBH) and just get some large, cheap disposable rugs from IKEA or something once every year or two. You could try putting a playpen/fence thing around the rug and making them stay put for a few minutes to dry off.

Associate
I guess if you really want to keep the carpets clean you could put up a gated pen around the doorway so that they can't go any further once they come back inside? But as others have said, it kind of comes with the territory, dogs are messy! :D

Associate
I would train your dog to wait at the door before being allowed back into the house and then wipe his/her paws before they come in. It will minimise dirt on the carpet and make life a lot easier (speaking as someone who used to live in a house with cream carpets and two dogs - thankfully we now have dog friendly flooring!).

Associate
Oh and I’d suggest investing in a carpet cleaner - ours was a godsend for keeping the carpets clean and tidy with the two dogs.

Associate
We renovated our sitting room and treated ourselves to a hand built Italian sofa and expensive carpet. The wife decided we needed a dog and the sofa is now covered with throws and carpet ruined :)

Still love the dog though.

Associate
We have a German Spitz and we have
always got long fur everywhere(sheds heavily twice a year) carpets just hold onto the fur. We have tiles in the kitchen and hall, wood flooring in the living room so it is easier to clean up after him but she wants a carpet in the back room and will end up moaning about the fur all over it.

Caporegime
Really? Such as?

I ask as my parents and I have hard floors. To be honest I'll be doing the same in the new house as its much cleaner. Fortunately my dog doesn't shed but he does bring in a lot of dust /dirt!

Ever slipped on a slippery surface and strained a groin? Or had a foot slip out on ice?

Throw a toy for your dog on the hard wood flooring it'll likely stay in one spot whilst it's legs skid in situ.

It's the first thing a vet physio will get you to amend should your dog need it's cruciate repairing.

Each to their own obviously and I can see why people get them for ease of cleaning, but they really aren't good for them unless you have rugs everywhere (particularly at the bottom of stairs etc.)

Soldato
Artificial grass in garden it’s brilliant. Only wet paws to deal with not mucky. And invest in a vax wet vac. They are great.

Agree with this. Replacing with hard floors doesnt solve the issue - just makes it easier to clean. Artificial grass where the dogs go is a life changer. No more constant mud for the majority of the year.

Walks - just hose them down (if needed) and dry them off with a towel when you get back.

Soldato
Ever slipped on a slippery surface and strained a groin? Or had a foot slip out on ice?

Throw a toy for your dog on the hard wood flooring it'll likely stay in one spot whilst it's legs skid in situ.

It's the first thing a vet physio will get you to amend should your dog need it's cruciate repairing.

Each to their own obviously and I can see why people get them for ease of cleaning, but they really aren't good for them unless you have rugs everywhere (particularly at the bottom of stairs etc.)

I have to concur, our border collie (sadly not with us anymore) used to slide around on basic laminate flooring. Probably best to invest £250 or however much for a decent carpet cleaning machine and use it once a year say

Caporegime
I'd probably get one of those transparent plastic/rubber mat thingies and place it by the doors.

yea about 4x in 6 months the first time I lived with parquet flooring..
oh GF used hairspray or something in the bathroom.... floor next to bathroom becomes ice rink

Soldato

Thanks!

Pretty much as others have said, just part and parcel of owning a dog.

We've got tiles/wood, so easier to keep clean.

It makes logical sense what you're saying, but i've not seen our dog slip at all on tiles/wood, he's got very rubbery paws (certainly uses them to his advantage when playing tug of war). So i don't know whether different breeds or different sized dogs have different grip on their paws. I could definitely see there being a bit of a problem if they don't have much grip.

Caporegime
It makes logical sense what you're saying, but i've not seen our dog slip at all on tiles/wood, he's got very rubbery paws (certainly uses them to his advantage when playing tug of war). So i don't know whether different breeds or different sized dogs have different grip on their paws. I could definitely see there being a bit of a problem if they don't have much grip.

Just bear it in mind, please :)

Soldato
Hi,

My double doors to the garden open onto the carpeted living room. The only other access to the outside would be my hardwood hallway to front door opening onto a road.

Does anyone here have the same and have a dog? I could buy a rug or throw down a towel for the double doors but it means trying to train them not to run straight in so I can wipe the feet. Alternatively, I put them on a lead every time they want to go to the toilet outside and take them out the front.

Thanks!

What breed of dog do you have? As above poster's have mentioned their dog was fine on tile/laminate etc it may be certain breeds are fine with the flooring as they have bigger pads or smaller claws etc.

Back
Top Bottom