glove heat pads

Soldato
It's pretty cold on my bicycle i have decent gloves but after a while my fingers get cold so if could place a microwaveable and reusable pad on the top of my palms should help.

Can't find any, any recommendations?

Soldato
It's pretty cold on my bicycle i have decent gloves but after a while my fingers get cold so if could place a microwaveable and reusable pad on the top of my palms should help.
You're better off with gloves that have heating on the backs of your hands, ideally including the fingers too, as that's the surface being cooled by the air.
It might look a bit silly with all your tight Lycra™ kit but there are various motorcycle gloves that do ^this... mainly being powered off the bike but some can also take an external battery.

Another option is handguards or muffs, which keep the wind off.
Depends how fast you ride and what the resulting wind chill factor is. I've ridden in -35ºC with heated grips, and they just burn your palms while the backs stay frozzed.

Don
Bought merino liners to go under the outer they're ok for about an hour

Get better gloves? I'm a complete wimp and only on the coldest of cold days did I turn to needing hand warmers, but that was after instructing outside in -30 for hours.

I use leather Hestra's coupled with icebreaker merino liners, together both are about £150/160
1nL1f3Sm.png.jpg

I'd imagine they quite cheap compared to some motorcycle gloves though?

Soldato
£170 will get you a pair of Gerbing heated bike gloves. They're pretty much the best rated, generally.
Standard ones are quite a bit cheaper. My fully waterproof winter gloves were only about £30 from Hein Gericke. £150 would get you a very decent pair!

Don
£170 will get you a pair of Gerbing heated bike gloves. They're pretty much the best rated, generally.
Standard ones are quite a bit cheaper. My fully waterproof winter gloves were only about £30 from Hein Gericke. £150 would get you a very decent pair!

ah ok, that might be where the weak link is then I thought you were on a motorbike :p I'll move this to the bike forum and see if they can offer some pearls of wisdom for you :)

Soldato
ah ok, that might be where the weak link is then I thought you were on a motorbike :p I'll move this to the bike forum and see if they can offer some pearls of wisdom for you :)
*I* am, hence offering some possible solutions from that world... but the OP is of the Lycra™ clad and pedal powered brigade.

Soldato
Get better gloves? I'm a complete wimp and only on the coldest of cold days did I turn to needing hand warmers, but that was after instructing outside in -30 for hours.

I use leather Hestra's coupled with icebreaker merino liners, together both are about £150/160
1nL1f3Sm.png.jpg

I think one of the issues with cycling (and motorbiking) vs skiing is that your arms are in a fixed position so there is very little muscular assistance with venous return from your hands, so your circulation suffers.

Soldato
I think one of the issues with cycling (and motorbiking) vs skiing is that your arms are in a fixed position so there is very little muscular assistance with venous return from your hands, so your circulation suffers.

That and the extension from your body means they are massively more exposed to the wind for heat to escape compared to tucking them in for big Chunks of skiing.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Had success with neoprene gloves, hands are cold for about 15mins but when the sweat warms up it's proper toasty.

The problem occurs when you have to take them off and put them back on again :) It's as if your hands are now hulk size and it takes 20mins to get warmed up again.

Soldato
I've used (marmott expedition) mittens re-tasked from skiing/walking, on my commuter bike which has gear shift on down tubes, where they are dextrous enough,
haven't tried them with combined brake/shift levers;
you get some additional wear on the thumbs and the insulation gets a bit degraded due to constant pressure on the palms.

I've got polypro inner liners if it were really cold, hadn't realised you can get equally thin merino/wool ones ... but isn't there a silk option too ?

Back
Top Bottom