What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Fair, well done for being honest! No one looks after this house, no one looked after it before I moved in (as 1 of 3 lodgers) and once I'm gone... It's up to fate! See earlier comments on state of the garden :D

I'm not very happy doing a quick and dirty job but honestly I'd be here forever if I started doing that level of maintenance. I'll leave it very slightly better than I found it, and at least the paint will be stopping any more moisture getting in. If I'd have known it was rotten before I ordered the door, seals, paint etc I might think differently.
Oh it's a rental? Yea fair enough then

Soldato
Done the most back aching soul destroying job today -Fitted new Eco fence panels recently and have the old wooden ones taking up room and it's a pain taking them to tip so cut them all up into slices with cirular saw so they fit in the garden dustbin waste burner.:( Never again.

Soldato
If anyone had said to me a year ago - why don't you have some walnut plastic fence panels I would have laughed in their faces.

I have now replaced all my wood panels with these and walnut doesn't look too bad. They are extremely expensive at £15 per foot in height.

Now I am so pleased I splashed out -no painting -no rotting panels and if one does get damaged you just change the damaged one not whole panel.
https://www.eurocell.co.uk/outdoor-living/fencing/eco-fencing

They just slot in concrete posts like wooden ones and they are cheaper than quoted on the link and that's from the same people.

Soldato
Put up four "drunk octopus" hangers

Then painted the infill to the side of the cupboard, oiled the rubber wood top and screwed that into place

IMG-20210110-161131.jpg

Need to sort out the joint with the skirting on the bottom left hand corner and possibly some trim up her the rubber wood top

Bit of sanding and another coat of and paint and should be done :D

Very good use of space I thought it looked a bit out of place with just the cupboard by itself but the chest of drawers has completed it nicely. Any particular reason you didn't take the cupboard to the top of the ceiling to stop dust collecting up there?

Soldato

The Billy Bookcase is just over 2m and the ceilings about 2.45m - I wanted to "lift" the bookcase up a bit and toyed with taking into the ceiling.

Given the door heights and ceiling height there was going to have to be a gap at one or both the top and bottom. It was a balance of practicability and aesthetics. I could have just boarded up to the ceiling but there is quite a bit of space there.

Therubber wood top finishes the top off and the space I can put something on display or may out another houseplant. Not quite decided yet.

Soldato
I cut down half a hedge, ripped out a load of brambles and took it all to the tip.

The lilac is already budding, so thought I'd leave that for later in the year- hence only half a hedge.

Soldato
I have a drippy kitchen mixer tap. Looks like the typical sort where usually I'd pop out the coloured dot, remove the holding screw then remove the handle/cap and then access the valve/whatever that part is that actually does the turning on/off of the water to the tap. However, the coloured plastic bit on the side (that covers the screw head) just will not come out. Anyone got any tips before I resort to destroying it entirely?

Soldato
I have a drippy kitchen mixer tap. Looks like the typical sort where usually I'd pop out the coloured dot, remove the holding screw then remove the handle/cap and then access the valve/whatever that part is that actually does the turning on/off of the water to the tap. However, the coloured plastic bit on the side (that covers the screw head) just will not come out. Anyone got any tips before I resort to destroying it entirely?

Blu-tack, if not, dab of superglue on the end of something similarly sized, or drill a tiny hole and insert a screw?

Maybe try pouring boiling water on it first to try and loosen any limescale holding it in.

Soldato
thanks will give that a try. It's almost like the previous owner glued it in place. (would be about right given the number of other oddities we've encountered - like electrical wiring spliced with masking tape, and capped off with sticking plasters)

Associate
Furlough let me complete 80% of DIY jobs.

New windows when lockdown is over and get the living room and hall/stairs plastered and decorated.
Then done, well never done.

Soldato
Removed a vegetable patch the previous house owners had put on the patio, and also removed about a ton of South cerney which they'd put on the garden borders on top of landscaping fabric.

Skip is over half full and I've only just started digging out for a patio at the end of the garden! Will have to order another skip I think.

Soldato
Removed old carpet and perishing rubber underlay, learnt how to use a circular saw (owned it for 2 years (received as a present) but this is the first time I've needed it!), cut down between tongue and groove floorboards, lifted boards, removed old redundant wiring, installed acoustic insulation to half the room

Soldato
Knocked up a stand / riser for my works surface pro. Has a separate keyboard and mouse along with second screen but use it for most my Team's calls, which there are many and this makes it a much more comfortable height / angle.

Not bad from scraps of MDF in the garage :D

IMG-20210116-130445-01.jpg

Speaking of which, decided to have a concerted effort in sorting it out today.

Was a bit of a mess ...

IMG-20210116-112556.jpg

IMG-20210116-112555.jpg

"Uncovered" the workbench

IMG-20210116-133852.jpg

And affixed some ply as the beginnings of my tool board

IMG-20210116-143638.jpg

Hope to carry on tomorrow :D

Soldato
Knocked up a stand / riser for my works surface pro. Has a separate keyboard and mouse along with second screen but use it for most my Team's calls, which there are many and this makes it a much more comfortable height / angle.

Not bad from scraps of MDF in the garage :D

IMG-20210116-130445-01.jpg

Speaking of which, decided to have a concerted effort in sorting it out today.

Was a bit of a mess ...

IMG-20210116-112556.jpg

IMG-20210116-112555.jpg

"Uncovered" the workbench

IMG-20210116-133852.jpg

And affixed some ply as the beginnings of my tool board

IMG-20210116-143638.jpg

Hope to carry on tomorrow :D
That garage would trigger me lol, I like the garage to be the tidiest room in the house:p.

Soldato
So, getting there with the garage - lots of lifting and shifting today along with a few tip runs.

I reckon another day or so and the rest of the general **** should be boxed up / on the shelves and have a home and tools up on the tool board ...

IMG-20210117-152106.jpg

IMG-20210117-152117.jpg

IMG-20210117-152119.jpg

Back
Top Bottom