WhatsApp mandatory data sharing with Facebook

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
The Signal desktop app is pretty bad too compared to Telegram desktop app. Telegram you can also run it on multiple devices like an iPad, 2 phones etc using the same phone number.

Caporegime
I'd suggest they've had it since the day they bought WhatsApp.

I guess they can't use it unless I accept though.
I fully expect they have it.

But if I understand correctly. Now they could basically pass my phone number to businesss for targeted ads?

Or is this still not allowed?

Caporegime
The question is what data do they want that’s so important to them?

What are they up too?
the want your IP so they can match as many devices as possible to your profile and sell it on to advertisers etc.

the information they hold on a person is probably insane, like way worse than someone would be able to gather from stealing your bin for a year.

No thanks do I opt in to any company spying on me.

you know sites use cookies to track where you go on the internet as well? even sites that don't belong to them......

You might as well just install a keylogger and webcam then mail facebook the links to save them the trouble.

privacy on the internet is the opposite to the real world, you have none.

Caporegime
@arknor It would be fantastic if it was but sadly not.
there's something about 1969.

I've known forums to end up with some clock bug where everyone join dates reset to 1969, there's videos on youtube that show as being uploaded in 1969 as well.

it's probably the first date the website server falls back to or something.

oh maybe it's something to do with the start of the internet.
The first workable prototype of the Internet came in the late 1960s with the creation of ARPANET, or the Advanced Research Projects Agency Network. ... On October 29, 1969, ARPAnet delivered its first message: a “node-to-node” communication from one computer to another

Caporegime
I thought this, but told family and they're making the jump and most friends too, so hopefully given some time I can give zuck the finger

Going to give it a push in next week or so. For such a tech savvy lot you'd think they'd want to. But everyone has friends of friends I guess

Soldato
Going to give it a push in next week or so. For such a tech savvy lot you'd think they'd want to. But everyone has friends of friends I guess
Yea, it's the whole "group" thing as well. I'm in like 30 groups and know people in way more. Luckily a lot of the groups are savvy so it's OK, but there are some that really aren't and getting them on whatsapp was a challenge!

Soldato
Threads like this just serve to make me realise how anti-social I’ve become in recent years. Obviously I’ve heard of WhatsApp but I’ve never used it. Not because of some moral ‘because privacy’ objection or because I’m some kind of hipster who will only champion the latest obscure alternative, but simply because it’s never come up. On xmas day I was asked for the first time whether I had the app on my phone. That it was my mum asking probably just makes it worse.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
there's something about 1969.

I've known forums to end up with some clock bug where everyone join dates reset to 1969, there's videos on youtube that show as being uploaded in 1969 as well.

it's probably the first date the website server falls back to or something.

oh maybe it's something to do with the start of the internet.

The Unix timestamp started 01/01/1970. It's a way of storing a date/time represented by the number of seconds since that date. You can see the current time's timestamp on https://www.unixtimestamp.com/

Often the default for unknown dates in databases is 01/01/1970.

Back
Top Bottom