1TB SATA SSD for games?

Associate
Hi All

Considering a second SSD for game storage. I'm using the one M.2 slot already, so it'll be 2.5" Sata.

Any stand out drives? or are they all much of a muchness?

Cheers

Associate
In terms of game loading currently, mostly the same bar a few seconds. Hardware Unboxed did a nice video with comparisons, not in depth but was merely for load times. Things may change in the future,but come that time i'd like to this sata ssd will have dropped in price again.
MX500 seems the best for price/performance ratio on a quick look. But there's little in it versus others.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
In terms of game loading currently, mostly the same bar a few seconds. Hardware Unboxed did a nice video with comparisons, not in depth but was merely for load times. Things may change in the future,but come that time i'd like to this sata ssd will have dropped in price again.

Yeah i saw those videos when i build the pc. I went with a sata m.2 for this reason, they were a lot cheaper than mvne at the time.

MX500 seems the best for price/performance ratio on a quick look. But there's little in it versus others.

Permabanned
LTT did a similar comparison (a blind test) and they all felt the SATA PC faster for some reason or other.

For Windows use and game load time there will be next to no noticeable difference from SATA to M2 for now.

I have a 1TB SSD Game drive but today I would buy 2TB because:

1) Games are getting far bigger esp. with patches and DLC (COD etc)

2) 2TB SSD's have came down in price since my purchase.

I do have 2x 4TB Storage SSD's so know the cost.

Last edited:
Associate
I did have my library on an 2Tb mx500 sata, when I bought a new NVME drive 2TB and transferred my steam library across I noticed a difference in game load times. I have no idea why LTT didn't see an improvement but I have noticed a considerable difference to load times on big games.

Soldato
Similar. I recently had to move from 1TB to 2TB as it just wasn't enough especially with the rate large patches and updates are applying. I did take the chance to be ruthless though and had a bit of a cull. I also moved from SATA SSD to a simpler (non-DRAM) M.2 (WD Blue SN550) into the secondary slot, and I find it much quicker for my games (load times) compared to the SATA drive (and it was the same price as a 2TB SATA SSD. No brainer!). But in answer to your question, I'd say yes SATA is pretty much at the max now for read/write throughput. Only thing that differentiates is most likely IOPS, Warranty, that sort of thing.

Associate
OP
Thanks Guys, it seems my posts above where i quoted those that helped, didnt work, so apologies for any confusion.

Thanks for all the help. when i bought the m.2 drive a few years back, the PCIE ones were quite a bit more than the sata m.2. the reviews showing the actual speed differences in boot times didnt seem enough to warrant the extra outlay, so i went Sata. Its fast enough for me for sure. Although the price differences are much smaller now, if i replaced the existing m.2 for a fast 1tb or 2tb, i'd have no use for the existing drive, as i have only one slot. Plus its a right faff to get to as its on the bottom of an ITX board if i remember correctly. i've installed a 250GB 2.5" SSD which ive installed Warzone and CS:GO on, and its fast enough for me. i'll get a bigger SSD of the recommendations above when i see an offer on and clone it across.

Cheers guys.

now i need to research headsets (ive never done "online gaming" before)

Soldato
I have a Samsung 1TB 860 Evo purely for games, it was about £95 on a black Friday deal.

I try and stick with Samsung wherever possible so that I can use Samsung magician to look after them all, rather than having to install and maintain different bits of software.

Associate
OP
I have a Samsung 1TB 860 Evo purely for games, it was about £95 on a black Friday deal.

I try and stick with Samsung wherever possible so that I can use Samsung magician to look after them all, rather than having to install and maintain different bits of software.

I like your thinking, though i already have a crucial mx500 in m.2 sata form.

Back
Top Bottom