• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When are we going to get stock?

Soldato
The age of GPUs sitting in stock has ended. Until mining moves away from GPUs all cards are sniped instantly to expand existing mining farms. You need to sign up for alerts with several stock trackers. I guarantee you won't see a single 3080 or 6800XT sat in stock for longer than 30 seconds on OCUK this year or next year.

Associate
An important note about mining.

Mining difficulty increases prorptionally to the hashrate of network. The more people are mining, the less and less profitable it becomes for each individual miner.

The current frezny will continue only as long as crypto prices go up ~10%+ a week. If it stops growing and goes sideways, mining will reach equilibrium quite fast.

Soldato
An important note about mining.

Mining difficulty increases prorptionally to the hashrate of network. The more people are mining, the less and less profitable it becomes for each individual miner.

The current frezny will continue only as long as crypto prices go up ~10%+ a week. If it stops growing and goes sideways, mining will reach equilibrium quite fast.

and when it dips to not be profitable the market will be flooded with 2nd hand 3xxx series cards!

Soldato
That have been flogged within an inch of their life!

not necessarily I've bought couple of mining cards in the past and they were fine, lasted 2 years and then sold on. They were also still under warranty. Thats the thing with mining cards they dont keep them for very long so as long as they are physically okay then you might be alright.

Soldato
Is there an equivalent stock thread for AMD cards? Or were these Nvidia stickies just done due to the palaver with back orders to keep people updated, which didn't happen with the AMD launch (i.e. it was buy and when gone that is it)?

Associate
Companies will go bust if this goes on too long . If you are a company that makes peripherals sales must be dead. This is far worse than the previous mining boom. And with the Chinese new year just round the corner to rub salt in the wound things are going to get worse before they get better.

Associate
I've waited years for a worthwhile upgrade. Got a gtx980ti late in the day cause i couldn't justify the price of gtx1080 in terms of price performance over the gtx980ti I could get new at a good price.

Then the gtx1080ti came out and I thought nah, I can wait for the rtx2080/ti. Then that shower of ***** cane out and the rtx2080 was basically the same as the gtx1080ti and no way I was paying £1500 for a rtx2080ti. So I wait and wait...

Now the rtx3080, finally a worthwhile upgrade at a price can stomach and now mining craze is back and I refuse to get ripped off out of principle.

I use to upgrade my gpu pretty much every year. Now I've changed once in like the last 6 years. Pretty sad it's become like this but I guess the gtx980ti continues to handle everything I throw at it so I guess I'll continue to wait.....I'm sure many are like me.

Caporegime
not necessarily I've bought couple of mining cards in the past and they were fine, lasted 2 years and then sold on. They were also still under warranty. Thats the thing with mining cards they dont keep them for very long so as long as they are physically okay then you might be alright.
I've also had an ex-mining card, from the MM here no less, and it failed within a couple months. Memory was shot.

Soldato
I think you need the cooking forum.

They sell unobtainable graphics cards in the cooking forum? that's just crazy.
50743172871_081c5c38ae_o_d.gif

Soldato

I have a pic of a damaged gigabyte gtx1070 chip where the centre fan failed, if you saw that you'd never touch an ex mining card again, I know I won't. Chances are , you'd be lucky most of the time though, but I baulk slightly when people say its fine to buy a mining card. Its not the work the chip does that does the damage, its the drastic overheating that occurs when a fan fails and it isn't repaired/replace soon enough, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom