LG 27GL850-B Settings

Associate
OP
Hi all

So I have been a console gamer all my life I have a playstation 4 (base) and I plan on getting the ps5 but I have also been thinking of getting a gaming pc for 1440p gaming I have never had a gaming monitor before so I have been keeping my eye on this one the thing is because I still game on console a lot of the content I play would be 1080p and I'm wondering would this gaming monitor be good for both 1080p gaming (console) and 1440p gaming (pc) I have no interest in 4K just 1080p/1440p, thanks
Monitors don't work well at a non-native resolution so 1080p will look horrid on a 1440p monitor.

Associate
OP
There is a new crop of 240hz 1080p montiors getting launched by a few companies really soon. IMHO 22"/24" is best for 1080p from a dpi perspective, but 27" will look more special for gaming just not very nice for office work. Make sure to get an IPS screen as TN is dull as hell. I think Dell have an Alienware 27 coming soon that is IPS, 240hz and 27". The AW2720HF

Associate
As far as I know the playstation 4 doesn't do 1440p the ps5 is right around the corner and I have no doubt that it will do 1440p but because it will be backwards compatible with ps4 games I will still be playing a lot of my old games at 1080p so maybe I would be just better off getting a 1080p gaming monitor I just hope I pick a really good one lol

Associate
OP
As far as I know the playstation 4 doesn't do 1440p the ps5 is right around the corner and I have no doubt that it will do 1440p but because it will be backwards compatible with ps4 games I will still be playing a lot of my old games at 1080p so maybe I would be just better off getting a 1080p gaming monitor I just hope I pick a really good one lol

It doesn’t work like that. If the PS5 can output 1440p then your old 1080p games will get upscale to 1440p so they will look nice

if you still want 1080p IMHO that Alienware looks amazing on paper and the reviews in the manufacturer website look amazing. I would buy one if I was in the market for 1080p on a 27” mainly for console use

Associate
Hi

Thought I would post my settings for these amazing monitors, which work pretty well across all 3 of my monitors......

Thanks for creating this thread. Mine should be arriving later this week so will try it out.
I saw you have a 2070S for a 3 monitor setup which means a 2060S should be good enough to drive a single at full resolution right?

Associate
OP
Thanks for creating this thread. Mine should be arriving later this week so will try it out.
I saw you have a 2070S for a 3 monitor setup which means a 2060S should be good enough to drive a single at full resolution right?
No. of monitors doesn't affect load actually as it's just outputs. Depends what you want game you want to run whether you'll get the full 144hz at 1440p.

Associate
Is this a good all rounder, I've been going round in circles trying to decide which monitor to go for and to be honest I'm still unsure if 24 or 27 is the best option, I am a true all rounder in terms of use in that I play some games badly they don't tend to be first person shooters (I loved Battlefield 2 but I'm just to slow to keep up in BF1) but thins like World of tanks/ Warships, Elite, FSX, occasionally GTA with some good old word-processing and a bit of you tube viewing, I guess the larger screen size might help with less than perfect eye sight.
Current monitor is a LG 21 60Hz vga panel, rig is 6950x with Titan (Pascal) Sli so should have the power to drive 1440 @ 144hz I hope!

Associate
Thanks Reitsy for making this.

Ive had my monitor for nearly a month now, tested a variety of settings. Your suggestions seem to be the best across a variety of use cases.

It really is a fantastic monitor.

Soldato
I calibrated mine with an i1 Display, here are my settings and I can share my icc if anyone wants it, though it's probably not much more help than others you can find online.

Brightness 22
Contrast 70
R 50
G 50
B 46

Associate
I wanted to add my setting try these

Gamer 1
Brightness 15
Contrast 70
backlight stabilizer 50

R 52
G 48
B 50

also tweek in nvidia control panel

Did anyone find the monitor really bright on preset?

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE THANKS :)

Last edited:
Associate
I calibrated mine with an i1 Display, here are my settings and I can share my icc if anyone wants it, though it's probably not much more help than others you can find online.

Please do ,

I would love to see your icc and settings with all the colour temp mode and everything .

Using monitor for 2 days now but not a lot of help online , its soo bright compare to my old one i used before ( in october 10 years haha ) VK278Q ,

Also if somebody could share his nvidia settings for that moitor to and display settings ,

i'm using Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB 8Pack DDR4 3200, RTX 2080 Super on x570-i

Thank you very much .

Soldato
OCUK delivered this screen to me this morning :) Out of the box it already looks amazing! I will definitely try the settings in this thread once everything's properly settled.

Associate
Hi

Thought I would post my settings for these amazing monitors, which work pretty well across all 3 of my monitors. They are all connected to my 2070 Super using 3m DisplayPort 1.4 cables. Every monitor is slightly different so these settings may not work for you but they gave me the best blend of look and feel in games, web browsing and clarity when working in Excel spreadsheets.

I use them in a medium lit room during the day for mainly work and in the evenings in a dimly lit room with one fllor lamp in the corner.

If I miss out any settings below that are on the menus it's because I didn't feel they either warranted reporting on or that I left them on default settings.

Game Mode Profile:
  • Gamer 1
Game Adjust:
  • Adaptive-Sync : On
  • Black Stabilizer : 40 (reduced from default of 50 as it helped make blacks more black instead of grey)
  • Response Time : Fast
Picture Adjust:
  • Brightness : 30-40 (reduced from default of 100)
  • Contrast : 70 (default)
  • Sharpness : 50 (default)
  • Gamma : Mode 2 (default)
  • Color Temp : Custom (default)
  • R/G/B : 54/48/50 (these made the picture feel a little warmer than the default of 50/50/50 but I still tinker with them every now and again and these are more your personal taste on how warm/cold you like your whites and colours)
  • DFC : Off (default)
General:
  • Smart Energy Saving : Off (change from On)
  • Power LED : On (this lights up the joystick under the front bezel)
  • Automatic Standby : 8h
  • Displayport 1.4 : Enable

In Windows I use the Generic driver for the screens as I didn't trust the one on LGs website as they had two drivers with no descripotion and both were pretty old. I also played around in the Colour Management section looking at different .ICC and .ICM profiles but for the life of me I couldn't tell any difference between them so left as default.

In the nVidia Control Panel I left everything as default apart from for GSync setting where I selected it to be enabled both for full-screen and windowed as I play most games windowed or I find that the game will minimise to the taskbar when I click on one of the other monitors during game play.

Finally I have one of the 3 screens also connected via HDMI into my laptop. On that screen I use the sRGB Game Mode Profile for HDMI with no changes to any other settings as that is what my laptop uses and I wanted the colours to match on both. When I flick to DP it uses the same setting as above. This is an amazing feature of the monitor which I don't recall having on other panels but I am sure other companies probably do ... the ability to have different brightness, color and other settings depending on the input selected.

Intrigued to see other people's setup and why but as I said each panel is different, each use of the monitor by the user is different and more importantly we all have different perception of colour, light etc. But hope this may help if you really don't like what it looks like out of the box :)

@REITSY SO i got this monitor about a month ago, but it had bad uniformity. One side of the screen was a warm white, and the other was a cool white...
Anyway, i noticed there was a setting that would let me change a lot of colours Hue / intensity. Which was great to tone down the reds. There was a list of colours, including cyan, and yellow. Anyway, i sent it back and got a replacement, which is much better, but the setting isn't there?????? I will contact LG and see what they say, but does anyone else have any idea about this?

Back
Top Bottom