What phone should I get?

Associate
So my Samsung S8 is starting to decline and I think I need to replace it, however, I'm reluctant to pay the stupid prices for iPhone 12/Samsung S20.

The only thing that is important is the camera. I have a little boy so constantly taking pics/videos and the my S8 is horrific.

I don't have social media in any form, which is why I'm reluctant to pay the stupid money.

What do you recommend?

Soldato
Are you after a ‘compact’ phone which these days means 6”-ish or do you not care how big the device is? Is your £30 a month for the total cost of a contract over 24 months or something else?

Associate
OP
I don't think I'd like to go much bigger than the S8 to be honest. The wife has an iPhone 11 and it feels like a breeze block in my hand!

Soldato
Or a second hand iPhone 11 Pro if you want to spend a bit more. It’ll be worth money when you resell and it’ll be fast four or five years from now. The Pros aren’t bricks like the standard 11.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Pixel 5

I went from a S7.

It makes wonder why manufacturers even bother dabbling with Android. Its glorious in its raw state have to say.

Great cheap phone as well.

Soldato
There is also the S20 FE 5G which is only way to get official Snapdragon Samsung in UK, seen some tasty "almost new" deals on the 'bay.

Soldato
Another shout for the S20 FE 5G. I picked one up last week on upgrade for just under £27 a month, handset cost nothing upfront and the current offer includes a free Samsung active watch. It's got a good camera, has a flat 120hz screen which is very nice. Mine was an upgrade with a 20% discount applied but with the S21 imminent you should be able to get one for just over £30 a month.

Soldato
Biggest difference is that 5G version (don't get 4G one) of FE is using Snapdragon SoC instead of the worse Exynos which translates into better battery life and slightly better performance.

Other than that it has a flat display instead of the curved one that a lot of people dislike and screen resolution is at 1080p instead of 1440p. It's slightly cut down quality wise in the camera department although still has the "trifecta" of ultra wide, wide and telephoto lenses.

Soldato
Literally came to start an almost identical thread.

My S8+ has started to struggle. Charged is hit or miss and today noticed one cracked the screen at work at some point :D

I've been wondering about the Pixels too.

With the 4A, what's the difference with the 5G model? Just that, 5G support or is there more to it?

Also would a pixel 4 feel like an upgrade over an S8 considering it's a fair few years old now I'd assume so?

Is the pixel smaller than the S8+ physically?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
With the 4A, what's the difference with the 5G model? Just that, 5G support or is there more to it?

5g model is larger (6.2" vs 5.8"), has additional ultra wide lens and a slightly faster SoC. Both will be smaller than your S8+ although 5g version will have same screen size.

Associate
If he is going to stump up for an S20 FE 5G he might as well buy a Oneplus 8 Pro which is on discount right now as for the same price (699) direct from Oneplus. Or even pick up a Mi 10 5G for 375-450 off ebay sealed. Mi 10 might actually be the bargain of the year at that price.

There is also a Oneplus Nord which is a lot of phone for the money

All of those have better pictures than the pixel 4a from the reviews so far.

Back
Top Bottom