• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Finally Done It....RTX3090 Coming My Way

Associate
I ordered the Inno3d iChill X4 3090 yesterday but then I found some reviews complaining about high temperatures and noise levels. Given that I was about to spend a pretty insane amount for a GFX card I decided perhaps better to wait until something which compares more favourably is available, perhaps the MSI trio or the Asus ROG STRIX. It may also be the fact that a bunch of people got laid off at my company yesterday and so splashing a couple of grand on a toy just felt like bad taste at that particular moment. But anyway, decisions decisions.

Associate
I was going to wait for the 3080ti but given how easy its been to buy the current new releases when I got pinged on one of the stock tracking discords of a 3090 for £1174 and it was legit I snapped it up. Ppl will always bang on about you could have waited for the next great release but I have the card in my PC right now and I've seen 3080's and 6800XTs fly out of stores faster than I could log into their sites for more money than that...

I really don't expect to see an accessible 3080ti for less money than I paid for my 3090 any time soon.

Soldato
My ROG Strix OC 3090 still has fairly high temperatures.

Depends what you mean by high?

My strix 3090 is on a quiet fan curve, with 105% power limit and +100mhz core and +200mhz memory - max temp recorded 72c, room temp 26c

That said it's going on a custom loop soon and then it will be 40c with 128% power limit and zero fan sound

Last edited:
Associate
The KFA seems to be reported as running very quiet and relatively cool. Although obviously 'cool' is a very subjective term when it comes to RTX 3090s. I may order that instead.

Associate
OK, so I decided to pull the trigger on the KFA. I had a bit of a hiccup as I still had a pending order from yesterday for the Inno3d card, the cancellation for which had not been processed. Because of this the system wouldn't let me place an order for the KFA due to restrictions of 1 card per customer. So after loooong wait on hold to customer service I got the order modified to the KFA. Full marks to OC sales support for sorting it all out within 5 minutes once I got them on the phone.
So, I have now spent a small fortune on a GFX card I don't really need but I'm still looking forwards to playing with it.

Soldato
I hope you enjoy your RTX 3090! I've thought about it. I don't feel like the RTX 3080 Ti release is going to be any smoother.

The other that sticks in my head is that I bought my GTX 1080 Ti FE on release. Ordered it the day it was available. That was 10 March 2017. It's lasted me almost four years. It's only now starting to struggle with games like Control and Cyberpunk 2077, where I want to still keep the graphics high. I would also like to be able to use the RT features and DLSS. I game at 1440p which is why my 1080 Ti struggles more.

I didn't buy a 16 series card, or 20 series card. 30 series would be nice and I think it's a worthy upgrade. The memory thing worries me a bit on the RTX 3080. It's probably fine, but the 3090 just has a tonne more that won't ever be a problem (for a long time!). If I get 3 or 4 years out of an RTX 3090, maybe it's justified?

Associate
So I assume the 3090FE cards sold very quickly again?
I'm certainly getting more interested in these.
It wasn't as quick as I thought although we don't know how many they had in stock - probably took a couple of hours I guess.
I'm assuming a lot of people are going to wait and see what today's announcement contains.

A couple of us that bought the 3090FE had an email from ***somewhere*** in error that referenced a queue number - I was 115 and the stock lasted at least another hour after I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
You could have just clicked on the buy button and had 3090 FE, no refreshing required, for 1399. If you think 1799 is good value, though, enjoy!

I paid £1,549 so about 10% over MSRP. Not a great fan of the FE but that's just my opinion. Usually with an AIB card, as I said, you get better cooling, acoustics and temps. Just my 2p's worth. I also bought my card about a month ago so don't think there many FE cards around then anyway.

Associate
OK, so I decided to pull the trigger on the KFA. I had a bit of a hiccup as I still had a pending order from yesterday for the Inno3d card, the cancellation for which had not been processed. Because of this the system wouldn't let me place an order for the KFA due to restrictions of 1 card per customer. So after loooong wait on hold to customer service I got the order modified to the KFA. Full marks to OC sales support for sorting it all out within 5 minutes once I got them on the phone.
So, I have now spent a small fortune on a GFX card I don't really need but I'm still looking forwards to playing with it.

I've had mine for nearly a month and it's excellent. Idle around high 20c's and during gaming high 60c's but it's whisper quiet. Max fan speed I've seen is 58% and obviously is 0 at idle. Big upgrade from my 5700XT so now Ultra settings in every game at 1440p with a 144hz freesync monitor it's a delight. Agree stupid price but no regrets and no compromises.

Associate
I've had mine for nearly a month and it's excellent. Idle around high 20c's and during gaming high 60c's but it's whisper quiet. Max fan speed I've seen is 58% and obviously is 0 at idle. Big upgrade from my 5700XT so now Ultra settings in every game at 1440p with a 144hz freesync monitor it's a delight. Agree stupid price but no regrets and no compromises.

Got my KFA this morning and after some teething problems where I thought I was having power issues but it was in fact just a dislodged SATA cable, it all installed without any real fuss. I have to say I'm glad I cancelled the Inno3d and went with the KFA2, this thing runs much quieter and cooler than I anticipated. Frame rates are fantastic and I love the ray tracing. I've been playing Ghostrunner and it is just drop dead beautiful. Doom Eternal hitting 320 fps in some places, so I think I'm pretty future proof now and for the money I've just paid it flipping well should last me years!

Associate
Got my KFA this morning and after some teething problems where I thought I was having power issues but it was in fact just a dislodged SATA cable, it all installed without any real fuss. I have to say I'm glad I cancelled the Inno3d and went with the KFA2, this thing runs much quieter and cooler than I anticipated. Frame rates are fantastic and I love the ray tracing. I've been playing Ghostrunner and it is just drop dead beautiful. Doom Eternal hitting 320 fps in some places, so I think I'm pretty future proof now and for the money I've just paid it flipping well should last me years!

What resolution do you game at?

Associate
What resolution do you game at?

3440 x 1440. I should think next about upgrading my monitor I reckon. What software are you using to control your fan profiles? I tried configuring it with the KFA Xtreme tuner but it seems to have a mind of its own when trying to configure a fan profile.

EDIT : Forget the question, remembered to install MSI afterburner, haha. Funnily enough the fan doesn't drop below 30% at any point no matter what I do with the profile. Have you noticed that?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom