• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So if your a normal user and hate GPU mining,get over it.Try this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
But why? Why does it matter? When the earth gets boiled by the sun, why does it matter whether the planet has been looked after or not? In the long term, what difference does it make?

I think having a healthy living green planet is great too, but Im under no illusion that ultimately, it doesn't make any difference.
If ultimately nothing matters, as you say, then why bother with rules and laws? Why not just embrace nihilism and anarchy.

If somebody wants to come to your house and kill you and take all your stuff, why try to stop it? Ultimately it doesn't matter if you live or die, by your own admission?

I'm not sure where that logic ultimately leads, but probably not to many great places :p

e: However, the second you start protecting your own life - valuing your own life - then with the application of empathy you can start to apply that same value to others.

e2: Easy to think I'm preaching here, but I'm just trying to apply logic, is all.

Associate
If it were possible first to sort the lies from the truth it would help, because what I expect you see as 'critical issues' others see as total inventions.
how can it be though (a lie)it doesn't take the news to report it to see 40 billion people running 1 gpu for 24/7 neverminded however many they have in data centres etc in a year, how much energy this would use.
even if it was only half true or a quarter that's still insane..

again more news from 2019, so you can assume its higher now..
"Mr de Vries said that Bitcoin still appears to use far more energy per transaction than all the world's banks put together, when considering the amount of energy used by data centres."

"The electricity used for Bitcoin produces about 22 megatons of CO2 annually, a study in the scientific journal Joule estimated. That is as much as Kansas City in the US."

Last edited:
Soldato
If ultimately nothing matters, as you say, then why bother with rules and laws? Why not just embrace nihilism and anarchy.

If somebody wants to come to your house and kill you and take all your stuff, why try to stop it? Ultimately it doesn't matter if you live or die, by your own admission?

I'm not sure where that logic ultimately leads, but probably not to many great places :p

e: However, the second you start protecting your own life - valuing your own life - then with the application of empathy you can start to apply that same value to others.

e2: Easy to think I'm preaching here, but I'm just trying to apply logic, is all.

Exactly! And it's that first point that shows you what people really care about - protecting their own lives, possessions, family etc. Rules and laws, they were put there to protect people who have something, money, status etc, from people who do not. They are there to protect our way of life, which ultimately benefits the elite. Protect the ants so the nest survives. Even something noble like protecting the environment, be under no illusion that it is done because someone thinks they can make some money from it. Because if we really really wanted to protect the environment, we'd remove our race from it altogether.

You're right the conversation doesn't lead anywhere. Ultimately we will all die, and our race will die, eventually our planet will die, and the universe will go on never noticing we even existed.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Proof of Work is not going away. There are a number of advocates of PoW as superior to PoS in the crypto world.

Some believe that PoW is superior precisely because it uses as much energy as it can. That increases "security" by making an attack extremely energy costly.

Saying that PoS effectively solves this problem is disingenuous at best. PoW is here to stay.

PoS is merely a point as some people kept banging on about energy waste. If your that bothered or affected by it, then lobby it or support a project that is using that type of system. An example of transition would be ETH trying to go that route. Like you said, and correctly PoW has its benefits it just so happens to be abusable via 51% vector. A minority so far on here seem to point out the obvious flaws that are apparent to anyone.

Soapboxing on a forum like this isnt going to change anyones mind. Especially if your viewpoint is based on reading a couple of pages on the internet and come across as old man yelling at cloud. This isnt saying you particularly @FoxEye by the way, just the anti-miner movement because GPU devices are hard to obtain so lets blame them.

Associate
PoS is merely a point as some people kept banging on about energy waste. If your that bothered or affected by it, then lobby it or support a project that is using that type of system. An example of transition would be ETH trying to go that route. Like you said, and correctly PoW has its benefits it just so happens to be abusable via 51% vector. A minority so far on here seem to point out the obvious flaws that are apparent to anyone.

Soapboxing on a forum like this isnt going to change anyones mind. Especially if your viewpoint is based on reading a couple of pages on the internet and come across as old man yelling at cloud. This isnt saying you particularly @FoxEye by the way, just the anti-miner movement because GPU devices are hard to obtain so lets blame them.
you could say the same about the opposite viewpoint especially considering its based on the lack of evidence to support it. as much as you or anyone else (myself included or not in my case actually..) wants to dress it up in fancy words :p

Soldato
Go do some mining and get a free GPU down the road. Use online PC gaming service and any GPU miner and start earning some cash for your next GPU and you can still play some PC games.

Took a quick video mining with Nicehash and playing Cyberpunk 2077 on Gforce now.

Still getting 80Mh's - 90Mh's while running the game. Normal is 95Mh's-100Mh's .

Using shadowplay with performance overlay on drops hash rate to 60Mh's -65Mhs.

RTX 3080 GPU set to 70% power limit
-500 Core
+1000 Memory

I had a go at mining with my 6900 XT today however I am unable to reduce the power the GPU is using to enable me top both game and mine at the same time. I can use the toggles on nicehash to set the power to low or medium but they don't actually take effect. So I guess it's all or nothing until they optimize the app for the 6900 XT...

Associate
OP
I had a go at mining with my 6900 XT today however I am unable to reduce the power the GPU is using to enable me top both game and mine at the same time. I can use the toggles on nicehash to set the power to low or medium but they don't actually take effect. So I guess it's all or nothing until they optimize the app for the 6900 XT...
Well that sucks but according to some people in this thread you will be a good human LOL. I do not own any 6900XT to try it out,wish I did I would try to figure it out for fun.

Soldato
Well that sucks but according to some people in this thread you will be a good human LOL. I do not own any 6900XT to try it out,wish I did I would try to figure it out for fun.
I'm hoping it's just because it's a new card. The load, temp, etc. stats don't show either in the dashboards yet. Getting an average hashrate of 64 with occasional boost up to 70. First day of having a go at mining. Just made my first dollar!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm hoping it's just because it's a new card. The load, temp, etc. stats don't show either in the dashboards yet. Getting an average hashrate of 64 with occasional boost up to 70. First day of having a go at mining. Just made my first dollar!
Well good luck,just made your first buck is awesome.Make sure you read up on the mining and protect yourself. With the 6900XT I am sure there are a lot of tips on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom