Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [12th - 14th Jan 2021]

fez

fez

Caporegime
Only Shami could say that was incompetant because United did get a decision. Thats a dangerous foul by Shaw. Getting the ball isnt relevant.

That was nowhere near a dangerous foul. That was very run of the mill and a few years ago wouldn't even have been a foul because he clearly gets the ball first. He wasn't out of control or off his feet and in a hell of a lot of tackles there is a chance you will contact the other player after the ball.

Was an easy decision for the ref because he didn't want to give the red that he would have to give if he didn't take it back.

Caporegime
I’m sorry but how is the Shaw incident any different to VVD’s foul on Mertens when Liverpool played Napoli in the CL a few seasons ago? He has studs exposed, wins the ball but rolls over the top of it and catches Mertens on the ankle. On both occasions the refs decided they were yellow card incidents.

Don’t be a hypocrite omnom, they’re either both yellows or both reds.
VVD was incredibly lucky not to get sent off, it was a clear red.

Don
The problem with that is that at the time Purdy and Baz were adamant it wasn’t a red. I don’t mind fans having their opinion, but it needs to be consistent tbh, regardless of who you support.
LOL and what have I (or Purdy) said tonight? Surely by your reasoning it's the Utd fans who are saying that was a red but this wasn't that are being inconsistent? :o

Soldato
LOL and what have I (or Purdy) said tonight? Surely by your reasoning it's the Utd fans who are saying that was a red but this wasn't that are being inconsistent? :o

Not accusing you guys of anything this eve, more the fact that omnom has commented on it being dangerous but wouldn’t likely think the same thing if it was Liverpool and used the VVD tackle as an example.

Tbf I rarely have an issue with what you, Baz and Pigeon post, omnom has a habit of getting on my nerves with his inconsistency when it comes to Liverpool vs other teams. I agree that United fans need to be consistent too, either both are reds or neither are.

fez

fez

Caporegime
A foul now is almost entirely dependent on how the player sells it. Don't go down or make the most of it and you don't get it. Go down theatrically and you increase your chances massively. Ref doesn't even look at the Maguire goal on VAR and makes the decision its a foul because the defender is coming out second best and backs towards a player coming forwards and in the air over him.

Don
Not accusing you guys of anything this eve, more the fact that omnom has commented on it being dangerous but wouldn’t likely think the same thing if it was Liverpool and used the VVD tackle as an example.

Tbf I rarely have an issue with what you, Baz and Pigeon post, omnom has a habit of getting on my nerves with his inconsistency when it comes to Liverpool vs other teams. I agree that United fans need to be consistent too, either both are reds or neither are.
In omnom's defence, he generally says everything is a red card. In fact I can't remember a thread where he's not complained about somebody not getting sent off.

Caporegime

To be fair the situation needs to be changed as a whole as during the live play the Burnley player wasn't aware of the foul yet made the decision to do what he did regardless. It was a similar situation with Pickford against VVD because it was offside the whole incident was ignored which is wrong. Otherwise you could technically punch a player in the face and get away with it because there was a foul previously.

Don
A foul now is almost entirely dependent on how the player sells it. Don't go down or make the most of it and you don't get it. Go down theatrically and you increase your chances massively. Ref doesn't even look at the Maguire goal on VAR and makes the decision its a foul because the defender is coming out second best and backs towards a player coming forwards and in the air over him.
That's always been the case, unfortunately. Compare the Maguire goal to West Brom's goal vs us - the West Brom defender was all over Fabinho but Fabinho doesn't throw himself to the ground and complain so the ref won't make a decision. And the same story when we played Newcastle - their keeper grabbed hold of Mane's leg but he stayed up so no decision again.

Officials are scared to make big calls (probably why Friend took the decision he did re the red cards) - if they're not forced to make a decision by a player going to ground then 99 times out of 100 they won't make a decision.
To be fair the situation needs to be changed as a whole as during the live play the Burnley player wasn't aware of the foul yet made the decision to do what he did regardless. It was a similar situation with Pickford against VVD because it was offside the whole incident was ignored which is wrong. Otherwise you could technically punch a player in the face and get away with it because there was a foul previously.
The Burnley defender can't be sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity if a foul is given earlier. It would have needed to be serious foul play (like the Pickford incident) or violent conduct for the red to be given.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Otherwise you could technically punch a player in the face and get away with it because there was a foul previously.

Now you're being ridiculous. You know that if you so much as look at another players face its a straight red. Look at the Martial red vs Spurs. Lamela gets a tap that wouldn't floor a 2 year old and slowly goes down like hes been shot and gets him a red.

Caporegime
The Burnley defender can't be sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity if a foul is given earlier. It would have needed to be serious foul play (like the Pickford incident) or violent conduct for the red to be given.

If that were true, then why was the yellow rescinded? It was still a clear foul. Again, Bailly was given a yellow after the whistle had gone a week ago. The rules change on a weekly basis.

Caporegime

I wasn't arguing the law. I was arguing that it needs reviewing and changing. The Burnley play did what he did and had that mindset regardless of the foul earlier that he knew nothing about.

Soldato

Agreed, if Brady had studded Cavani in the back of the legs or done a really reckless leg breaker tackle (Pickford style) then the earlier Shaw foul wouldn’t have mattered, it would have been a clear red. It was badly timed from Brady but not a dangerous tackle.

Back
Top Bottom