Petrol / Hybrid or Plug-in Hybrid , I can't decide

Underboss
Hi all

Yes its me again ;) :D

"if" I was to change car now (so looking at current prices)

what would you buy now going forward ?

Won't buy an EV as i cant charge at home, so id be screwed if i cant charge at work when i desperately need juice, so i cant take that risk

So was looking initially at another Petrol car

currently driving a 2009 focus, so i would be looking at the next Generation of cars (2011/2012 on)

but i see no point in going for a non-turbo now for a daily car, so id be looking at small engine ones like a 1L Eco boost, or a 1.2 VAG equivalent etc etc

but i then factor in going to an Automatic (will not buy another manual)
then prices rise due to the auto box

so if i was to look at another Focus 1L Ecoboost AUTO id be looking around 8K as you cant get an auto in a pre-facelift in the ecoboost variant

if you then look at other equivalent cars, Auris, Leon and a few others they are seem to be around 8/9K for a pretty decent one

then, i look at high spec variants for LED lights, which then seem to increase the prices again to 10K+ (under 60K mileage)

so, with that in mind, around £10 / £11 K its going to cost me to get what i really want

I then see i could get an Auris Petrol Excel for £12K, but the hybrid being closer to 10K than the petrol variant, you've also got the Lexus CT 200h around the same money (maybe a bit more)

in the Plug in Hybrid category, i could pick up an Audi E-Tron or a Golf GTE (prefer the Audi if im honest)

which can run on petrol alone, without plugging in, but I could charge at work, and work is only 6 miles each way, and if figures are correct up to 160/170 MPG ?

so be good when i drive further afield (not often though)

but i looked at one review on the E-Tron, and the cost of servicing and cambelt changes etc are very high

and I keep reading about some new tax changes coming in, so money saving per year is high on my list along with reliability

would you go for petrol, hybrid or PHEV ?

Soldato
Given your seemingly very low mileage and the fact you seem quite budget conscious, i'd just go for a normal small engined petrol car.

The PHEV cars are a niche market, generally best exploited by those who can charge them routinely and can turn their 20 mile commute into an almost EV usage case but with the flexibility of an engine for frequent longer journeys. Or people getting company cars looking for low BIK but who don't want a full EV.

Caporegime
How many miles do you do a year?

Theres no point paying a premium for a car to unlock savings that are less than the cars cost 'increase'

Soldato
I currently have an auris hybrid and to be fair it's great in stop start traffic on the way to work in the morning; the ev only mode generally only works up to 20mph although does work up to a max of 30mph.

Its served me well and only looking to trade it in due needing a larger boot but as my other thread not being able to test drive at dealers is putting me off at the moment!

Soldato
any more opinions ?

@Kenai why petrol and not a "petrol Hybrid" (non plug in) ?
Because you'll probably pay a small premium for a 'self charging' hybrid (that hasn't done 200,000 miles as a taxi) that I'm not convinced you particularly need, you have far more options available looking at regular petrol cars.

Look at both, no real reason not to get one if it's the right money but in cars where you can get both engine types at similar outputs (like an Auris), I'm sure I remember the hybrids carrying a premium, like for like. Maybe they don't anymore, in which case just judge them all on individual merit.

Soldato
I have a self charging hybrid. Lexus CT200h. In the 13 months I’ve had it I’ve averaged around 50mpg, and the cost to miles equates to around 10p/mile which is decent. My trips are relatively short, found the mpg to be much better when the cars been driven a while.

I bought it for PHV use but along came covid and it wasn’t worth while. I decided to trade but couldn’t find a decent all rounder for the cheap running costs it offers. The only issue I found is lack of rear boot space but we’ve managed. It’s more an first world inconvenience if anything.

I think self charging hybrids are great to purchase before the big change to full ev cars.

Soldato
Given your seemingly very low mileage and the fact you seem quite budget conscious, i'd just go for a normal small engined petrol car.

The PHEV cars are a niche market, generally best exploited by those who can charge them routinely and can turn their 20 mile commute into an almost EV usage case but with the flexibility of an engine for frequent longer journeys. Or people getting company cars looking for low BIK but who don't want a full EV.
Basically what I was about to say.

Everyone has a different usage pattern but my bog standard 1.4 TSI Leon still delivers mid 40's MPG. Even when I get back to 15k per year I don't think the savings on fuel would be that great with a hybrid. I really wanted to get a PHEV but company car budget wouldn't stretch. Low BIK and home charging to cover my 24 mile per day commute were the main reasons though.

Permabanned
When I was in a similar situation I decided the premium for hybrid/phev/ev wasn't worth it, so I bought an Astra. Astra K, Elite Nav 1.4T automatic. Great car, test drive one.

Associate
I have a self charging hybrid. Lexus CT200h. In the 13 months I’ve had it I’ve averaged around 50mpg, and the cost to miles equates to around 10p/mile which is decent. My trips are relatively short, found the mpg to be much better when the cars been driven a while.

I bought it for PHV use but along came covid and it wasn’t worth while. I decided to trade but couldn’t find a decent all rounder for the cheap running costs it offers. The only issue I found is lack of rear boot space but we’ve managed. It’s more an first world inconvenience if anything.

I think self charging hybrids are great to purchase before the big change to full ev cars.

I certainly agree, self charging hybrids are a very good choice, before the big change. They are really good if your not doing high mileage. A friend has a ct 200h, he has no complaints about it apart from the boot. I am thinking about getting one for the wife, when we change her car.

Underboss
OP

im not too worried about the boot space, i don't really use it, but i just hate driving small cars (Fiesta, clio etc) as im 6'2
is the lexus aimed at a medium sized car like a focus ? or smaller like a Fiesta ?

Soldato
im not too worried about the boot space, i don't really use it, but i just hate driving small cars (Fiesta, clio etc) as im 6'2
is the lexus aimed at a medium sized car like a focus ? or smaller like a Fiesta ?

You should be alright with that height. However rear leg room may be a bit tight if you have your seat rather back. It’s quite roomy inside to be fair, I would put it a little less than a focus in size.

Soldato
cheers for your reply
rear room isnt a problem , Rarely any passengers, its my daily commute car :)

See how you like it. Most of the parts are shared with the Toyota auris so can be had cheaper. The downside is the engine can suffer with blocked egr which in turn can effect the head gasket going at higher miles.

I’ve had no issues with mine over the year I’ve had it, and I do have warranty for another 2 years. I may get rid then for something else but it just depends how everything goes with emissions regulations/congestion zones etc

I like it though, not the most powerful of things but it saves me a lot of money which usually went into fuel in the more powerful cars I’ve had in the past.

Underboss
OP
I'm just curious really , I do like the look of them i must admit, love the interior, but not sure i can stretch to it, but we'll see when the time comes, I'm going to test drive a fair few cars before I make the decision

Caporegime

This. We have several employees now who can all travel too and from work on EV alone, one guy had enough charge he only needs to charge up at weekends (45 mile range electric only).

Only 6% BIK tax plus the added advantage their journey to work is only costing them the electric.

Underboss
OP
I do under 10 miles each way
Can plug in at work only, but if they are broken or whatever , I'm stuck, so has to come with a petrol engine , even if I don't have to plug it in, assuming plug in hybrids u don't actually need to ?

Back
Top Bottom