Retaining garden wall collapse

Soldato
Yeah, it's the whole 30ft that's gone. The wall is is very old, it runs from the bottom of the street to the top. Separating all the gardens between the two streets. Must be 500ft+ in total. Its just my bit & a small bit of my next door neighbours that has collapsed too. Over the other side was always covered in ivy that I had to remove every year. I've never seen anyone doing any work on the other side of the wall at all. It's been repointed/patched on my side on few occasions.

Rob
So this sounds like its the rear of your garden, not the side join between you and your neighbour?? What is on the other side of the wall that potentially has caused only your 30ft to collapse? is yours the only section with a tree near it for example?

Soldato
OP
So this sounds like its the rear of your garden, not the side join between you and your neighbour?? What is on the other side of the wall that potentially has caused only your 30ft to collapse? is yours the only section with a tree near it for example?
Yes, it's at the bottom of the garden. It's a boundary wall. Had my deeds checked via my solicitors. It's not just 30ft at my garden, it's collapsed next doors as well,around 10ft where the ivy is at its thickest. The other side of the wall is covered in ivy. There's so much of it, it's nearly completely covered a shed over the wall too. I been removing it from my side for the last few years. It grows over the wall & up my tree as well.

Thanks for all the info folks, been very helpful

Rob

Last edited:
Soldato
who owns the land on the other side of the wall? Sure its a boundary wall but it sounds like its not the boundary between you and your neighbour, but the boundary at the back extent of both your properties?

Soldato
OP
who owns the land on the other side of the wall? Sure its a boundary wall but it sounds like its not the boundary between you and your neighbour, but the boundary at the back extent of both your properties?
That, I'm not sure. I'm speaking to the neighbours about it, just waiting for them to get back to me.

Soldato
That, I'm not sure. I'm speaking to the neighbours about it, just waiting for them to get back to me.
Maybe its worth finding out if the wall is your responsibility then or that of the land owner on the other side? The wall isn't between you and the neighbour so doesn't seem like you would be responsible for his section as cant see how your wall is retaining your garden from his, if it doesn't border between your two properties but runs along the back of both??

Soldato
Was i imagining it or did you say that the neighbours side of the wall was overgrown with ivy?
If so the ivy would have caused the collapse, as it would have grown through the wall and weakened the joints between the bricks.
So therfore in my opinion the neighbour caused the collapse by not removing or managing the ivy, so its down to him to repair the wall due to his negligence

Soldato
It sounds like the ivy is on the side of the wall that is not facing in to either the OP or the OP's neighbours garden. The confusion here is its being made to sound like the wall is between the OP and his neighbour, when infact the wall seems to be at the end of both the OP and the OP's neighbours and in fact runs the length of the street across the back of everyones garden.

Back
Top Bottom