Extending boundary by squaring a diagonal corner

Soldato
Hopefully you can see a pic attached which is self explanatory.

My house deeds show the boundary line as actually including the entirety of the grey alley but that I have to allow access down the alley for my neighbours to get to their gates. All black lines are fences apart from the back red wall. Purple shows the gates to people's gardens.

I want to extend the corner of my garden where the yellow X is so that in future I can either add additional storage onto the side of the shed extending it, or just build a bigger/better shed maximising space without the awkward shaped corner bit, and then move my gate over to the right.

I doubt my neighbours would care/mind or object as there's loads of space with a wide alley there, but what is the actual process to do this? Do I effectively have to apply to essentially buy more land as it were? Is it even possible? It's not the end of the world if I can't, just would be better is all.

DAXbzfV.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I have some experience of this so can give my 2p worth.

It's worth checking to see if one of your neighbours own that strip of land. As crazy as it sounds it could be either of them, but you have right to access it.

Boundaries are only a guide and can vary a little so if it's not a huge amount you could argue that it fair to take that space.

Also, Seek professional advice :)

Soldato
OP
I have some experience of this so can give my 2p worth.

It's worth checking to see if one of your neighbours own that strip of land. As crazy as it sounds it could be either of them, but you have right to access it.

Boundaries are only a guide and can vary a little so if it's not a huge amount you could argue that it fair to take that space.

Also, Seek professional advice :)

None of them own it, and all of us own it...I think. On my registry land forms the entirety of the grey alley is included in my property boundary sorry. Will edit the OP now to make that clearer. So basically on the forms it has it included, but I have to "allow access" as the alley is the entrance to the back gardens of 3 of my neighbours. I assume their docs have the same kind of thing in it but don't know for sure.

Permabanned
Builders often make mistakes with boundaries but checking the deeds usually shows what things should be and that is really the defining document. However, you really want to avoid complaining neighbours. The best thing to do is get yourself armed with the deeds and talk too the neighbours to make sure they agree with you. I mean you can just follow the deeds but it's really best to avoid neighbours trouble, which can last forever and cause an amazing amount of bitterness.
Paths and alley ways are sometimes shown as part of your property but are usually included in the deeds as something you and the neighbours have to share costs and maintain. So a path that say your neighbour can access to their back garden may well belong to you but in the deeds will be shown as something that must be kept serviceable and both of you are responsible for those costs. Changing the path usually doesn't cause an issue as long as there is still a path there, but the corner has clearly been chopped off here to allow access by things like lawn mowers or long items so removing that part of the path may cause legitimate issues with the neighbours. It may also be affected by the precise wording in the deeds since it could be just access as a fire escape in which case the corners are not important.

Soldato
OP
Builders often make mistakes with boundaries but checking the deeds usually shows what things should be and that is really the defining document. However, you really want to avoid complaining neighbours. The best thing to do is get yourself armed with the deeds and talk too the neighbours to make sure they agree with you. I mean you can just follow the deeds but it's really best to avoid neighbours trouble, which can last forever and cause an amazing amount of bitterness.
Paths and alley ways are sometimes shown as part of your property but are usually included in the deeds as something you and the neighbours have to share costs and maintain. So a path that say your neighbour can access to their back garden may well belong to you but in the deeds will be shown as something that must be kept serviceable and both of you are responsible for those costs. Changing the path usually doesn't cause an issue as long as there is still a path there, but the corner has clearly been chopped off here to allow access by things like lawn mowers or long items so removing that part of the path may cause legitimate issues with the neighbours. It may also be affected by the precise wording in the deeds since it could be just access as a fire escape in which case the corners are not important.

Good shout cheers pp111. I will try to find the deeds and may post back full details. I was thinking the same about the wider access for getting longer items in at the end of the alley but the truth is that when we moved into the property, up against the fence along that diagonal bit of our fence, the previous occupants have setup a fairly permanent water butt where rain water drains off our roof into. I've also stashed our two large wheelie bins there for months and nobody ever complained of lack of access. Neighbours very rarely go down there because neighbour 2 is elderly and can't walk very well. Neighbour 1 would never have to anyway due to where his gate is. The back red wall is also low enough that large furniture items or longer things could be lifted above it to swing it round the corner. I should know... as I had to myself for some wooden beams. I get on really well with all my neighbours but would not want to upset any of them so would only do any changes with their permission anyway.

Soldato
Surley its there to help people turn down the alley? say a van or car with trailer/caravan

Would presume it's not wide enough for a vehicle.

I think in most cases they build alleyways with diagonal corners to allow for better visibility. i.e. you don't know what's around the corner until you get to the corner, whereas with diagonal corners you can at least see around the corner before you get to it.

Soldato
OP
What's the footprint of the land? From looking at the picture it seems like a waste of time to gain what looks like less than 1m2.

The triangle would add about 1.1 metres squared gain. I know it seems trivial but my garden is tiny and the Shed full. The other end of the Shed is basically up against the back wall of my house. This extra section would allow the stashing of bikes and potential to extend the shed into an easier shape. The time and effort to actually do the work is minimal. Cut down the fence, rebuild it. Doable in an afternoon. It's the time and effort to pursue it and do it legally which may make it not worthwhile. Hence why I made the thread to see what is involved.

Permabanned
The triangle would add about 1.1 metres squared gain. I know it seems trivial but my garden is tiny and the Shed full. The other end of the Shed is basically up against the back wall of my house. This extra section would allow the stashing of bikes and potential to extend the shed into an easier shape. The time and effort to actually do the work is minimal. Cut down the fence, rebuild it. Doable in an afternoon. It's the time and effort to pursue it and do it legally which may make it not worthwhile. Hence why I made the thread to see what is involved.

Most people are not prepared to go the legal route to complain and you can often avoid that by just talking to them in advance. Worst case is you need to put it back the way it was if someone gets really annoyed. When you sell the house just play dumb, no one usually cares about a minor thing like that and again, if they do, just put it back the way it was.

Soldato
The triangle you want to buy I would honestly doubt if they'd ever be for sale. You've got the shared access to the properties at either side and I suspect that for privacy all the gardens shown have a 1.8m high fence or wall so no one can look into your back garden and as such if someone is walking from the main alley to one at the rear they won't see the other person coming and will knock into them. The triangles indicated gives that person the visibility to see others coming.

Associate
Good shout cheers pp111. I will try to find the deeds and may post back full details. I was thinking the same about the wider access for getting longer items in at the end of the alley but the truth is that when we moved into the property, up against the fence along that diagonal bit of our fence, the previous occupants have setup a fairly permanent water butt where rain water drains off our roof into. I've also stashed our two large wheelie bins there for months and nobody ever complained of lack of access. Neighbours very rarely go down there because neighbour 2 is elderly and can't walk very well. Neighbour 1 would never have to anyway due to where his gate is. The back red wall is also low enough that large furniture items or longer things could be lifted above it to swing it round the corner. I should know... as I had to myself for some wooden beams. I get on really well with all my neighbours but would not want to upset any of them so would only do any changes with their permission anyway.

I'd probably try and throw in a sweetener as well if the alley is shared responsibility and needs a little work I'd agree to take care of it, or offer to give it a tidy up/power wash when you put the shed in something along those lines

Back
Top Bottom