• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
You are most welcome.

I'll be interested to know what clock speed (actual in game clock speed), voltages and temps you end up with.

Should be able to get some time free tommorow evening to run your MPT profiles.

Looking forward to seeing some good numbers.

Man of Honour
Disclaimer - Click me!!
Follow this advice at your own risk, i accept no blame if you enter stupid values and break your GPU. You can just use Radeon Software > GPU Tuning to undervolt and optimise performance and power draw. However, if you like to tweak things further to tune your GPU for the best possible optimal performance and power draw, then read on.
:)

Thanks, have just been using Radeon Software so far. Have managed a 18079 on timespy with around 2400 gpu speed and 2140 mem

Soldato
Just had my XFX Merc 6900 XT delivered.....man this is a heavy card. I'm upgrading my GTX 970.

Is 2 bracket screws and the PCI slot going to be enough to support this beast?
Just doesn't feel right that much weight not having support on both ends.

Associate
Seems I have hit my thermal limit.
Card boosts at 2660-2690mhz until around 58c/70cjt.
MPT set at 300w and 5%slider again hits high numbers then throttles
Fans set max 24/7
Voltage 1100mv
More voltage boosts clocks but rapidly hits 115c then downclocks to 2400mhz.
Hopefully when waterblock comes will be able to get around 22k in timespy.
Not too bad for a AMD reference model.
Anyone running a waterblock yet?
tErpS97.png

Caporegime
Just had my XFX Merc 6900 XT delivered.....man this is a heavy card. I'm upgrading my GTX 970.

Is 2 bracket screws and the PCI slot going to be enough to support this beast?
Just doesn't feel right that much weight not having support on both ends.
Yes. Please share a pic of it in your case, then we'll see if there's any sag.

Associate
To update on my coil whine (reference card branded by sapphire), it was returned and the retailer agreed it was faulty (the whine actually got worse and was audible at idle). They refunded me as they had no more stock and no idea of when more stock was due. They actually got more stock a few days later but at a higher price so I left that. Then these showed up yesterday at +£49 over what I paid for the reference card so I went for it...........
88x42en.jpg
FPa4Hbw.jpg
KDSGfSC.jpg
Please ignore the cable mess, the card is huge and I've had to move the radiator and the cable tidy thing off the rear as it just wouldn't fit. I think I might go back to the fractal R6 as that has a lot more room. The card is nice a quiet and runs really cool. I haven't had much time to mess around with it yet but it seems like the performance bios on balance settings gives better results than the stock card and runs around 15 degrees C cooler. The performance bios doesn't like undervolting though.

Associate
I guess Kaapstad can answer this one based on the multiple Sli setups he's run over the years but anyone else is welcome to join in, if I were to replace my Sli Titan (pascal) with a single card solution would either the 6800XT or the 6900XT be an improvement? Over the years Ive run AMD and Nvidia graphics but I currently much prefer the price of the AMD offerings, as and when available.

Soldato
HELP!! Inserted the new XFX 6900 XT, and my CPU temps increased from about 35 idle to 60. :O
What the hell has happened......
All the fans are going still.
Any ideas anyone?

Soldato
Oh bingo, you've got it Mister tangerine. Sigh, should have spotted it myself.

It was the Radeon software saying "Very High" on power usage.
CPU didn't seem high though, which confuses me.

Temps back to normal.

My guess is you’ve disturbed the CPU whilst inserting the GPU.
That was going to be my next guess, that I'd done something to disturb it. Glad it's not that though, that would have been aggro.

THANKS both for replying :)

EDIT:
I think this explains it.....1 or 2 cores were 100% half the time:

Must have been enough to drive up temps, whilst overall CPU being so low overall still.

What cr4ppy software!!!

Associate
@LtMatt

so I`ve dialed in the settings on MPT. (1st Quiet Profile)
Ran SOTTR benchmark at 2560 x 1440p.

Crashes straight away, get this error.

Tried on the 375W Balanced profile, same crash.

Any ideas??, minimum voltage set at 0.950mv like you said, (maybe try raising a little, you think?)

Caporegime
@LtMatt

so I`ve dialed in the settings on MPT. (1st Quiet Profile)
Ran SOTTR benchmark at 2560 x 1440p.

Crashes straight away, get this error.

Tried on the 375W Balanced profile, same crash.

Any ideas??, minimum voltage set at 0.950mv like you said, (maybe try raising a little, you think?)

Probably voltage is too low, I had to increase it a bit to pass stability in some things from what i posted earlier.

Try putting the stock voltage in MPT back to 1.175v, then undervolt in 10-20v steps in GPU tuning. I think manually setting a core voltage in MPT can be problematic. use Tomespy Extreme test runs to gauge stability. If it fails that it’s not stable.

I ended up redoing my clocks and voltages only adjusting power limit, tdc and soc max voltage in MPT. Make sure to verify voltages in an OSD as rhe value displayed in Radeon Software is often wrong.

might be easier to discuss this in discord rather than via message, let me me know if you want to sync up for a chat.

Last edited:
Associate
No worries anytime. Funnily enough this happened to me today although in a slightly different way.

Switched out my 6900xt for a 3090FE to have a tinker with and CPU was 60-63C.

Had a quick look and Radeon software was the issue. Closed it and everything went away. To be honest I've gotten used to these spikes now on Ryzen and especially with the 5800x, it is certainly very spicy when pulled for load

Associate
Noticed some ever so slight artifacting when the memory slider set at max and fast timing enabled in AMD settings (no MPT profiles enabled).

Under full load only.

If I back off and slow down the memory speed a bit it goes away.

is this something I should be worried about so early in this cards life?..

Caporegime
Noticed some ever so slight artifacting when the memory slider set at max and fast timing enabled in AMD settings (no MPT profiles enabled).

Under full load only.

If I back off and slow down the memory speed a bit it goes away. I don't believe it indicate the memory going bad, unless it happens at stock or just above.

is this something I should be worried about so early in this cards life?..
It just means it's not quite stable at the maximum speed.

Based on my testing of using a 6800 XT and a 6900 XT, you want to put the memory at 2112-2114Mhz maximum in games. Somewhere after this speed, performance (FPS) dropped in the games i tested. It was the same for both GPUs.

However, synthetic benchmarks like Timespy Etc, continue to show improvement up to 2150Mhz.

Back
Top Bottom