• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800XT

Soldato
On reflection of both nvidia and amd launches i would have been happy with either at the launch prices.

The only thing thats changed in my oppinion is raytracing and dlss has become a bigger lure for me over the post launch period as why pay the same for something with inferior performance like the 6800 variants do with raytracing.

Soldato
Screw it, think I'll swap back to nVidia this round.

AMD cards basically do not exist and aren't going to exist for months. They just aren't making any kind of volume.

I wish they'd been more honest. "Sorry guys, we're making CPUs and consoles - you've got a long wait for a 6000 series GPU."

Instead they kept us hanging on, and now the truth is plainly obvious - they just aren't making them.

I came to that conclusion early Dec and I'm glad I did, the 3060ti is a cracker, beats a 2080 Super and not far off a 3070. Prices have only gone up since and AMD cards simply didn't exist and won't for months. Better RT and DLSS and you could actually buy one, it took me less than 48 hours with Discord. I said in the Autumn that AMD's focus was clearly on consoles and so it's proved, that's why they didn't care that NV beat them to market, and they don't care NV are selling more cards now, they've got Ryzen desktop/laptop and two consoles to service, the GPU desktop market is clearly small beans to them now.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
On reflection of both nvidia and amd launches i would have been happy with either at the launch prices.

The only thing thats changed in my oppinion is raytracing and dlss has become a bigger lure for me over the post launch period as why pay the same for something with inferior performance like the 6800 variants do with raytracing.

^^^ This.

An own goal from AMD when they could have sold shed loads but Nvidia supplies aren’t much better.

Guess it’s just sheer demand that’s caused it though.

Caporegime
According to AMD it's due to demand, and not issues at manufacturing:

A large part of the Q&A discussion was centered around supply and demand, especially given the notable lack of hardware on the shelves for end-users and enthusiasts. At a time when AMD has built out a number of products in a very compressed time frame, including consoles for two partners, it stands to reason that if users cannot buy the newest ‘leading performance hardware’, there are going to be complaints.

Lisa Su: ‘This is the result of a demand focused environment, rather than manufacturing issues. There is tightness in the supply chain due to demand, and that invariably puts pressure on our consumer, PC, and gaming product lines. As it relates to our semiconductor production, we’re putting in additional capacity to meet this unexpected demand. It will take time to catch up, but that’s what we’re seeing.’

When asked if this high demand environment and capacity ceiling would potentially cap AMD at 22% market share, Lisa said that AMD doesn’t believe that it will. Beyond actually building the silicon, Lisa also noted that there are substrate shortages, simply due to the increased demand, and that the ecosystem is working to also build additional capacity (including AMD investments), but that will take time and continue through 2021.

The question is always if and when this level of supply will improve to meet this increase in demand, and if AMD is still producing as many CPUs and GPUs as it can, where they might be going.

Lisa Su: ‘We are shipping lots of parts, and volumes in all segments are increasing, and that will happen through 2021. There will be tightness in the first half of the year, but alongside consumers we also ship to OEM partners. There is some real-time prioritization between end-user and OEM, but we understand that consumers want more and it’s very high on our priority list to meet this high demand.’

One element Lisa did speak to is how production level decisions happen in advance. AMD launched a lot of products in Q4 2020, including Ryzen 5000, Radeon RX 6000 GPUs, two games consoles, and also started shipping its next generation EPYC Milan processors. On top of all that, AMD had to build its new Ryzen 5000 Mobile processors to meet notebook demand in Q1 2021.

Lisa Su: ‘One of the things that was important with Cezanne (Ryzen 5000 Mobile) is that we were shipping for production in early 2021. With the OEM cycle of those products, enabling them to get the first batches of hardware in Q4 was vital for launch through the first quarter and the first half of 2021. This is how AMD matches its product cadence, and the choice on hardware manufacture is one of timing. It’s nothing fundamental, it’s not design limited, it’s all about making the right bets (sometimes months in advance) and enabling market estimation of demand. We had to enable millions of console APUs as well, and there is higher demand than we thought here as well. Working with OEM partners like Sony and Microsoft means enabling different strategies as well.’

Unlike grim i post links as well, whereas he makes things up and runs when asked for links.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1640...-and-epyc?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=social

Caporegime
According to AMD it's due to demand, and not issues at manufacturing:

Unlike grim i post links as well, whereas he makes things up and runs when asked for links.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1640...-and-epyc?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=social

Lisa Su: ‘This is the result of a demand focused environment, rather than manufacturing issues. There is tightness in the supply chain due to demand, and that invariably puts pressure on our consumer, PC, and gaming product lines. As it relates to our semiconductor production, we’re putting in additional capacity to meet this unexpected demand. It will take time to catch up, but that’s what we’re seeing.’

Consoles, to date Nvidia sold 20m RTX cards total, that is RTX 2000 and RTX 3000 series.

Sony and MS combined sold more than 5m consoles in the last quarter of the last year alone, Sony alone expect to sell at least 18m PS5's in 2021, Sony and MS will sell twice as many Consoles in a 12 month period than Nvidia sold GPU's in more than 2 years.

This is where AMD's supply constraints come from. AMD make those chips and sell them to MS / Sony.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Are OCUK still stock piling for a drop?
It sounds like they've got silent on it

By their own admission they never started selling the 6900XT, so they must have stock?

Gonna be funny to see the prices if everywhere else is any metric to go by, expect £900-£1000+ for a 3080\6800xt.

Associate
Soldato
I don't know what these fake stock problems are all about. I've got a full rig of 6800's and 2 6900xt's and I've not even been stuck at home pressing f5 all day. How hard is it to just look and buy when when they come in stock. They pop up all the time.

Associate
I don't know what these fake stock problems are all about. I've got a full rig of 6800's and 2 6900xt's and I've not even been stuck at home pressing f5 all day. How hard is it to just look and buy when when they come in stock. They pop up all the time.

Because you have 50% of the UK’s stock right there.

Associate
For a Red Devil or Nitro + @ £900 on OC yet have we even had a drop?

Price inflation from £760-780, better to invest in graphic cards than gold ^^

Back
Top Bottom