BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Are you not just getting a very clear example of getting what you pay for? If you aren't happy with Vodafone then is £5 a month a deal breaker to go back to something better?

Associate
Are you not just getting a very clear example of getting what you pay for? If you aren't happy with Vodafone then is £5 a month a deal breaker to go back to something better?

I’m not that tight but if I can talk to talk talk rententions deal why not try get a better offer. I was asking as an exiting customer offer and seeing what people were paying. Also anyone know who onestream use for the core network. I was wondering if they use talk talk wholesale but couldn’t find anything.

Soldato
The last time I spoke to talk talk retentions they matched the Quidco cash back from moving to plusnet in account credit and added a bit more to match the price. I had already started the switching process though and I was responding to a letter they had sent me.

Associate
I wouldn't assume that. If they don't need to come into the house they will still do all the preparatory work outside. The Openreach people I interacted with in the first lockdown were pretty good at determining what was required to keep everyone safe and as long as you left doors/windows open and stayed well away from them, they ere happy to come into the house as well so it may not be as bad as it seems.

Zen emailed me all delayed and no date on an engineer can come into the house

What this means for you
Your recent order of Full Fibre 500 with Zen will require an engineer visit to your home, the appointment will be delayed, pending further communications from the Government. The good news is, you're in the queue for when appointments begin again so we'll keep you up to date with any progress.

:(

Caporegime
I've had the same email today which is a shame as Openreach ran the cable this morning and it's coiled up outside. I only moved into my house in December and I've been on 4G (which is ****) so it looks like I'll be stuck with it for the foreseeable!

Caporegime
If you have no access to a copper broadband product then you should still be able to have your FTTP appointment go ahead, worth checking with your provider.

Associate
The last time I spoke to talk talk retentions they matched the Quidco cash back from moving to plusnet in account credit and added a bit more to match the price. I had already started the switching process though and I was responding to a letter they had sent me.

been using it a few days and seems quite a contended service compared to previous provider. Would ya say this is quite bad?

My Broadband Ping

Associate
Im considering dropping Virgin for EE (300 or 900).. But have a couple of questions..

1) Am I able to put their router into modem only mode so that it can plug into my existing setup?
2) Will I be able to ask for the ONT to go into the garage? (intragral)
3) With Virgin they compensate with the speeds to that I get 380 on 350 package..
What are the EE speeds like? (again, 300 and 900).

Man of Honour
Im considering dropping Virgin for EE (300 or 900).. But have a couple of questions..

1) Am I able to put their router into modem only mode so that it can plug into my existing setup?
3) With Virgin they compensate with the speeds to that I get 380 on 350 package..
1) Plug your router into the ONT as long as it supports FTTP.
2) I would imagine so, would depend on the engineer I guess.
3) I believe the compensation is legislation.
4) FTTP speeds will be miles better than Virgin.

Caporegime

1. No, but you can remove the modem and go straight into the ONT with your third-party router
  2. Maybe, it depends on how your phone line gets into your house at the moment
  3. Openreach FTTP services are provisioned at 330, 550, 1000Mbps. There are then PPPoE overheads if your ISP uses PPPoE and usual congestion within the provider network or on the optical network itself, though I don't think that's an issue presently

Associate
So Openreach turned up to do the outside work for my FTTP but wouldn't come into the house to do the indoor bit and said don't expect this until late April!

I gave him options
1. Run the fibre cable to the hole where my sky comes in and let me put the internal box on the wall myself and plug it in - He said no as it has to be run from inside to out (which he couldn't give me an answer as to why)
2. I'll put the whole family upstairs and open all the windows so you can come in and do the work and leave before we come downstairs - He said no

I think this situation is absolutely pants! now expecting me to wait 3 to 4 months to get the install complete and I gave him options to finish the work in a safe way!

Caporegime
It's absolutely understandable for a worker to want to protect their health during a pandemic, you got all the difficult and time consuming part of the installation done, it's not going to start billing yet, and you haven't been left with a worse service than you had a month ago. I think you're being unreasonable.

Soldato
He said no as it has to be run from inside to out (which he couldn't give me an answer as to why)

Because the cable has a connector pre-installed on one end, it's that connector that plugs in to the ONT. Shoving the connector through the wall would likely knacker it.

The job also includes connecting the ONT and router together and verifying that the connection works Part of that includes scanning the bar code on the ONT with his mobile phone. He can't do that from outside.

I gave him options to finish the work in a safe way!

Options that he's not allowed to take.

I get the annoyance, but you're being unreasonable.

Associate

Hey look I understand people need to work in a safe way during these times but having no one in the room while he is doing the job with fresh air circulated through the living room is more then reasonable.

I can understand doing the indoor bit myself the connector could get broken and the testing couldn't be done so that I understand.

I wouldn't mind as much but three doors down had there connection put in on Tuesday without any issue and the guy didn't even wear a mask

Caporegime
Some Openreach staff or third-party contractors might be willing to ignore the guidance given to them, but that's on them. It works both ways - you wouldn't want someone going door-to-door without a mask and then coming into your house.

Soldato
Because the cable has a connector pre-installed on one end, it's that connector that plugs in to the ONT. Shoving the connector through the wall would likely knacker it.

The job also includes connecting the ONT and router together and verifying that the connection works Part of that includes scanning the bar code on the ONT with his mobile phone. He can't do that from outside.

Options that he's not allowed to take.

Load of rubbish. Guy that did mine scanned the ONT at the door and handed it to me along with the cable for me to run to the outside.
He didn't need to come in the house.

It's absolutely doable without them entering your house of you're willing to run the cable and mount the ONT.

Back
Top Bottom