Are joggers the new cyclists?

Soldato
Except you're forgetting that blue is best in low light conditions where people don't necessarily use headlights. I.e. dusk, Dawn, heavy rainfall.

So you've cancelled your challenge to the headlight and now agree with the entirety of what I said.

The condition for barely being able to see for blue to be the best colour is not good and wouldn't apply to a headlight since it immediately removes the low light issue.

Caporegime
So? You replied to me and I quoted what I was talking about.

Right, let's be clear here.

Blue hi-vis works excellently in low light conditions. It's looking to be the best. Headlights don't necessarily alleviate low light conditions because they have directional beams therefore areas outside of this will still be in low light. Ergo...statement about headlights, even if they're on, pointless.

Man of Honour
Yellow, blue whatever - high-vis makes a huge difference and can give you a critical 2-3 extra seconds for drivers to react to.

(Or even the difference between being seen at all or not)

Soldato
Right, let's be clear here.

Blue hi-vis works excellently in low light conditions. It's looking to be the best. Headlights don't necessarily alleviate low light conditions because they have directional beams therefore areas outside of this will still be in low light. Ergo...statement about headlights, even if they're on, pointless.

Yes lets be clear here.

I replied to words on blue headlights you tell me how that instance of blue is separate from the light.

Soldato
ok - the relative brightness at nightime is low and even with headlights, you're in partial night vision, so pushing to blue light could still have some benefit.
eg you avert from looking into oncoming headlights, but wouldn't during the day.

I guess legally you can't have green headlights ? if they could even make an efficient bulb to do that colour, which is where the benefits of blue(->uv) with colour conversion phosphors win.

colour blindness (people of colour) might be a reason to stick to blue high viz ... everyone sees it ? https://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/

edit: coming to a modder near you HUE headlights ?

Caporegime
Yes lets be clear here.

I replied to words on blue headlights you tell me how that instance of blue is separate from the light.

The condition for barely being able to see for blue to be the best colour is not good and wouldn't apply to a headlight since it immediately removes the low light issue.

Notice how your sentence is split in two. The first half in bold followed by the and.

Soldato
Notice how your sentence is split in two. The first half in bold followed by the and.

Ok so you ignored the connecting word and the second half but quoted the whole thing. Fine.

So are you contesting that very low light conditions required for blue to be better are bad (visibility) in general or we done. Because the second half is about the (blue) headlight removing the low light advantage of blue in the first place. As has been brought up, a green/yellow light source would be the most visible.

Man of Honour
Joggers aren't too bad around my area. But what drives me nuts are a load of teenagers on those electric skateboard scooter things, dressed head to toe in black, on the road, at night.

Soldato
correcting my earlier post, re-reading the link I posted
green at ~550nm was the best for human acuity at low light conditions, so not as far down the spectrum as blue, as I'd said
so if the ambiant headlight conditions for night driving qualify as low light, then go green

Soldato
If someone who is running in low light doesn't make themselves visible to a huge heavy chunk of metal thats travelling at high speed then they shouldn't really be doing it.

If they get hurt it's not really the drivers fault in most cases. It should really be made law and at the discretion of a police officer if the jogger or walker is visible enough or not if they witness someone running or walking in certain conditions.

Agreed, i was out on some country lanes the other week and my head torch decided to stop working. I didn't have my reflective top on as i thought my head torch would've sufficed, but for about a half mile stretch it was pretty sketchy whenever a car went past. I just had to stop and try and stand as close to the hedge as possible!

Soldato
I followed a jogger who was running in the middle of the road and waving traffic to go either side of him. We have wide pavements with cycle paths here too so no idea what he was up too tbh....

Associate
Was driving down an A road yesterday evenig. 40mph limit. semi rural. pavements both sides, no pedestriations for at least a few hundred yards both directions.... jogger running down the road with back to traffic. total numbskull and candidate for darwin award. i passed and peeped, he gave the usual salute. patently he was in the right. just because you can doesnt mean you should - entitlment.

Soldato
just because you can doesnt mean you should - entitlment.
Unfortunately that's the way of things these days especially with 90% of the lycra brigade believing it's their right to inconvenience many so they alone can do as they please. Every man for themselves and **** everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom