Are joggers the new cyclists?

Soldato
Unfortunately that's the way of things these days especially with 90% of the lycra brigade believing it's their right to inconvenience many so they alone can do as they please. Every man for themselves and **** everyone else.
90% of the tin can cager brigade believe it's their right to travel at the speed limit or faster no matter what too.

Soldato
Inconveniencing many by simply cycling on the road does that mean?
No not simply cycling on the road that of course isnt the issue.
The issue is when one cyclist is holding up several cars behind him/her and displays a total lack of common courtesy / basic consideration to other human beings by not pulling over for a few seconds to let the many behind to pass.
I honestly cant get my head around why people behave this way? Yes its their "right" but that doesnt make it right. If I'm out on my bike and feel I'm holding up even a single car I will let it pass as my actions are inconviencing others which isnt a feeling I enjoy.

Soldato
No not simply cycling on the road that of course isnt the issue.
The issue is when one cyclist is holding up several cars behind him/her and displays a total lack of common courtesy / basic consideration to other human beings by not pulling over for a few seconds to let the many behind to pass.
I honestly cant get my head around why people behave this way? Yes its their "right" but that doesnt make it right. If I'm out on my bike and feel I'm holding up even a single car I will let it pass as my actions are inconviencing others which isnt a feeling I enjoy.
What do you do when you get to a queue of traffic? Do you get irrationally annoyed at the cars in front?

Reality is cyclists are rarely "holding up" car drivers as the car driver will inevitably hit a queue/traffic light and spend the "gained" time there instead.

Soldato
What do you do when you get to a queue of traffic? Do you get irrationally annoyed at the cars in front?

Reality is cyclists are rarely "holding up" car drivers as the car driver will inevitably hit a queue/traffic light and spend the "gained" time there instead.
Depends entirely where you live. High population areas yes. Rural not at all. I live in the latter so your sweeping generalisation is irrelevant.

Soldato
I’ve seen lots of drivers who think it’s a fantastic to buy dark coloured cars and not replace their headlight bulbs, do I need to stop if I drive into one of them?

you don't need to stop but it'll probably happen naturally.

Get off my road peasants!

*the general sense of superiority found in a lot of drivers these days*

i was driving home the other day, reasonably quiet road, off-peak time, sprinkle on the lower traffic under COVID.

end up in a que, about 50 cars long. because one cyclist wouldn't pull over for 30 seconds.

granted that's a fringe case but logic would dictate the majority aren't the ones being selfish to come to that conclusion.

Soldato
So you think we should constantly monitor who's behind us and how many cars there are and keep pulling over all the time?

Grow up and just accept that the roads are for more modes of transport than things with engines in and just deal with it.

Associate
end up in a que, about 50 cars long. because one cyclist wouldn't pull over for 30 seconds.

granted that's a fringe case but logic would dictate the majority aren't the ones being selfish to come to that conclusion.

So you were delayed by 30 seconds? 1 minute? 3 minutes? Dear dear it must've been terrible.

Man of Honour
Do enlighten us then. How much time have you lost behind cyclists in the past week?

I've been driving since 1975 and the only thing that has ever held me up is slow motorists.
I was coming back from Macclesfield about 5 years ago and there was a cyclist in front but the thing holding me up was the useless driver in front of me not being able to get past it.

When us motorists start paying Road Tax then perhaps we can have more of a say.
There is/was talk of it coming back.

Soldato
about 20 minutes, because, y'know, not all roads are one massive safe overtaking spot......
:D:D:D

Which road was this?

I've been driving since 1975 and the only thing that has ever held me up is slow motorists.
I was coming back from Macclesfield about 5 years ago and there was a cyclist in front but the thing holding me up was the useless driver in front of me not being able to get past it.

When us motorists start paying Road Tax then perhaps we can have more of a say.
There is/was talk of it coming back.
Yeah. I get held up far more often by cars in London/Surrey than motorists get held up by me.

Soldato
Which road was this?

take your pick of pretty much any country road you like.

the point is simply that when it's so commonly stated as "a 30 second delay you selfish [redacted]!?" to overtake that's per-car, per sufficiently long straight in the best-case scenario.

that is of course assuming due courteousness of leaving ample overtaking room and not merely squeezing past with an inch to spare.

Man of Honour
take your pick of pretty much any country road you like.

the point is simply that when it's so commonly stated as "a 30 second delay you selfish [redacted]!?" to overtake that's per-car, per sufficiently long straight in the best-case scenario.

that is of course assuming due courteousness of leaving ample overtaking room and not merely squeezing past with an inch to spare.

If every cyclist, tractor, milk float and motorist who is going slower than you pulled over every time somebody was behind them, they would never get anywhere.
It's amazing what a selfish attitude you have with so much self entitlement.

Soldato
If every cyclist, tractor, milk float and motorist who is going slower than you pulled over every time somebody was behind them, they would never get anywhere.
It's amazing what a selfish attitude you have with so much self entitlement.

never said they should pull over for every vehicle that comes up behind them, just that in the specific scenario i recounted the minor inconvenience of a minute's stop for a single person would have eliminated a 20 minute delay (at least median time given i was about the middle of the queue) for 50 people.

i fail to see how such logic could be considered selfish?

Back
Top Bottom