Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
It's honestly pretty shameful how low the bitrates are on HD and UHD channels on (expensive) pay TV platforms. It's not like the bandwidth isn't there.

Soldato
I'm moving house in a few months to a VM area and I currently have Sky TV which has 14 months or so remaining on the contract. I'll be using VM for broadband since the FTTC offering is a lowly 30/6 which I'm doing to struggle to work with.

I notice VM do massive discounts for also taking their TV services. My question is: how do they work when I'm part way through a broadband only contract? Are they likely to bolt on TV and put on savings or would I have to wait until the broadband contract is over and then sign up in my mrs name?

You can have TV from VM and other providers at the same time, just take it, it’ll still usually work out cheaper than the solus product. Adding it later doesn’t normally result in anything near the same level of offer/discount or cash back as the budget and discount for a new customer acquisition is large, an upgrade not so much. The exception to this is at renewal where you can get a decent deal, but no Quidco etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You can have TV from VM and other providers at the same time, just take it, it’ll still usually work out cheaper than the solus product. Adding it later doesn’t normally result in anything near the same level of offer/discount or cash back as the budget and discount for a new customer acquisition is large, an upgrade not so much. The exception to this is at renewal where you can get a decent deal, but no Quidco etc.
Thanks, I think this is what I will do. I currently get BT Sport via PlusNest which will be getting cancelled when I move. It's going to cost quite a bit to add it to Sky, probably more than it will adding it to VM and also getting an entirely new TV service too.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Just want to confirm if its possible to have TV/BB/Phone with Sky and also BB/Phone with Virgin at the same property?

Family member signed a new Sky contract a few months ago but 20mb is just too painful so I want to get Virgin BB for myself as Sky don't seem to be able to give Fibre. Don't need phone but it's annoyingly cheaper to get it together with BB.

Best deal I can see is £30 for 200mb or £36/m for 350mb with 5GB Virgin SIM (don't need it but it's auto included) through work discount or the same price but £50 Amazon voucher instead of SIM through MSE.

Can get 100mb for £24/m with a £100 bill credit so £18.40 but ideally want at least 200mb and not sure how much it would be to increase it after signing up.

Caporegime
Buying the phone service from VM just activates the port on the rear of their Hub, it won't affect your internal cabling and unless you give VM your current landline number and ask them to port it, having VM installed won't affect your existing line.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Buying the phone service from VM just activates the port on the rear of their Hub, it won't affect your internal cabling and unless you give VM your current landline number and ask them to port it, having VM installed won't affect your existing line.
Thanks.

Associate
Just been on the phone to Virgin.. They wouldnt budge on £45 for 350, or £47 for 350/phone/tv.. I dont want TV and Phone - only have them because it cheaper (in the past anyway)..

I've got access to FTTP, but rather not swap provider with working from home/home schooling, etc, cant afford it being down. :) I left it as is for now - might call them back in a week or do to try my luck again..

Last edited:
Associate
Just been on the phone to Virgin.. They wouldnt budge on £45 for 350, or £47 for 350/phone/tv.. I dont want TV and Phone - only have them because it cheaper (in the past anyway)..

I've got access to FTTP, but rather not swap provider with working from home/home schooling, etc, cant afford it being down. :) I left it as is for now - might call them back in a week or do to try my luck again..
Last week, the best the rep at Virgin could offer me was £40 for M350 or £50 for M500 (no tv or phone)
I told them to cancel the service.
The next day they phoned me back offering 350 for £34pm or 500 for £40pm
I re-signed with them mainly to prevent needing Vodafone gigafast fitted during lockdown.

Soldato

Have you got a BT ONT in your property?

I know new builds come pre wired for FTTP and Virgin Cable if it's available these days.

Associate
Have you got a BT ONT in your property?

I know new builds come pre wired for FTTP and Virgin Cable if it's available these days.

Nothing in my property, but they have pulled fibre on the estate (even a cable up to the outside wall), so I know it is available.. Virgin are currently putting up new street cabinets aswell I imagine these are the new fibre network they are rolling out.

Caporegime
Just place an order, worse case scenario is you get an ONT installed and activated with a new ISP and cancel within the 14 days cooling off period and you just pay for the few days you were connected for. Then you have a live ONT ready to activate service on within about 2 days of placing an order.

Associate
Is anyone having any issues with upload speed via FTP/sFTP?

Usually I can max my upload speed at around 4.0MiB/s but past few days it's maxing out at 1.5MiB/s but averages around the 500kbps mark.

Speedtests ect is showing my full upload speed (38Mbps)

Associate

That’s a terrible price given that they are currently advertising 350 on their website for £38.99 and 500 for £44.99. Broadband only.

Associate
That’s a terrible price given that they are currently advertising 350 on their website for £38.99 and 500 for £44.99. Broadband only.

Thats for new customers only. Virgin have never had any good offers for existing customers, unless you threaten to leave.. Which is my case didnt seem to make any difference.

Man of Honour
Thats for new customers only. Virgin have never had any good offers for existing customers, unless you threaten to leave.. Which is my case didnt seem to make any difference.
That’s how most companies operate sadly. Until there’s legislation to stop them they’ll continue to do it.

Back
Top Bottom