Would you trust Amazon Medication?

Soldato
People worrying that Amazon will just be able to knock out counterfeit Rx Drugs are not thinking straight. You can't just act as an importer of medicines or be engaged in distribution of Pharmaceutical products for human consumption without having a Distributors License. Then you need a QP for product release in the UK as the UK technically can't mutually recognise product release done in the EU. Then you need a Pharmacist to sign off on dispensed drugs before they are sent out. There are whole swathes of pharmaecutical law that prevent any tom, dick or harry from just knocking out Rx medicines to fullfill a prescription.

The UK has all of them written into law when they were part of the EU and had lots of regualtions prior to that. Even with their departure from the EU they are not about to throw out all their safeguards and legislation on the control and prevention of counterfeit medicinces, not because they care about peoples safety but because the Pharma Lobby will crucify them and they will lose a boat of everything they need to keep in this country i.e science minds, UK manufacturing jobs etc.

As I said in an earlier post, what is more likely to happen is that at some stage in the near future Amazon will look at buying a small / mid sized Pharma company that already has an ML, DL and all the qualified people it needs for an end to end supply chain of Rx drugs. They would need QP's registerd in the UK (not including NI as they are still under the auspices of the EU with regards to pharma legislation) to release and product in the UK (Eng, Wales and Scotland, they would need another UK based in NI to do product release there). You can't just have a prescription fullfilled by a company in China and have the package sent to you air freight, that is illegal and the MHRA have an entire inpsectorate wing that deal with illegal imports of Rx drugs into the UK. If amazon set up any kind of service like this they would be inspected to hell and back to ensure they met the required UK compliance mandates for the supply of drugs for human consumption, including a full inspection of their supply chain, product release processes and distribution practices.

Soldato
If its strictly amazon only then maybe, its its marketplace (and its really not always easy to distinguish) shipping by goodness knows who from goodness knows where... definitely not who knows whats in that stuff.

Soldato
People worrying that Amazon will just be able to knock out counterfeit Rx Drugs are not thinking straight. You can't just act as an importer of medicines or be engaged in distribution of Pharmaceutical products for human consumption without having a Distributors License. Then you need a QP for product release in the UK as the UK technically can't mutually recognise product release done in the EU. Then you need a Pharmacist to sign off on dispensed drugs before they are sent out. There are whole swathes of pharmaecutical law that prevent any tom, dick or harry from just knocking out Rx medicines to fullfill a prescription.

The UK has all of them written into law when they were part of the EU and had lots of regualtions prior to that. Even with their departure from the EU they are not about to throw out all their safeguards and legislation on the control and prevention of counterfeit medicinces, not because they care about peoples safety but because the Pharma Lobby will crucify them and they will lose a boat of everything they need to keep in this country i.e science minds, UK manufacturing jobs etc.

As I said in an earlier post, what is more likely to happen is that at some stage in the near future Amazon will look at buying a small / mid sized Pharma company that already has an ML, DL and all the qualified people it needs for an end to end supply chain of Rx drugs. They would need QP's registerd in the UK (not including NI as they are still under the auspices of the EU with regards to pharma legislation) to release and product in the UK (Eng, Wales and Scotland, they would need another UK based in NI to do product release there). You can't just have a prescription fullfilled by a company in China and have the package sent to you air freight, that is illegal and the MHRA have an entire inpsectorate wing that deal with illegal imports of Rx drugs into the UK. If amazon set up any kind of service like this they would be inspected to hell and back to ensure they met the required UK compliance mandates for the supply of drugs for human consumption, including a full inspection of their supply chain, product release processes and distribution practices.

[/winsthread]

I gather you work in pharmacy industry?

Soldato

On the flip side if they could make money from it what is stopping Amazon with all their money doing it? There is nothing there Amazon couldn’t do and probably much better than the current pharma companies to be honest.

Soldato
On the flip side if they could make money from it what is stopping Amazon with all their money doing it? There is nothing there Amazon couldn’t do and probably much better than the current pharma companies to be honest.

They can do it if they want and jump through all the hoosp to qualify their manufacturing and distribution processes. However what you will find is that it is much easier for the likes of Amazon to buy itself a company that has all of that already in place and then boos it's business using it's already established online platform.

Starting a pharmaceutical company from scratch (not just a distributor, but a fully fledged manufacturer with end to end supply chain), is not something even Bezos could do in a short period of time. He wouldn't get to realise any profits from doing that for a good 5+ years. Buying a small / medium company that is just about making bank or about to take a hit means he can turn it around almost instantly when it then has access to the biggest online platform in the world.

Associate
Getting off my arse to put a repeat prescription order in and then again a few days later to collect it has the free health benefit of a couple of walks. I won't be using Amazon for this, even though I already have prime. My prescriptions are also medically exempt, so I can't see them making any money off me anyway.

Mate that just means the taxpayer stumps 100% of the bill not just ~50%. Amazon would make as much money off you as a punter who 'pays' the £8 for a prescription.

Soldato
Given you cant trust amazon to deliver a PS5 apparantly why would you trust them with prescriptions? Wouldnt touch it personally!

Soldato
They can do it if they want and jump through all the hoosp to qualify their manufacturing and distribution processes. However what you will find is that it is much easier for the likes of Amazon to buy itself a company that has all of that already in place and then boos it's business using it's already established online platform.

Starting a pharmaceutical company from scratch (not just a distributor, but a fully fledged manufacturer with end to end supply chain), is not something even Bezos could do in a short period of time. He wouldn't get to realise any profits from doing that for a good 5+ years. Buying a small / medium company that is just about making bank or about to take a hit means he can turn it around almost instantly when it then has access to the biggest online platform in the world.

True true fair point, which is what they are seeming to do over in the US. Whole foods.

If I was to hazard a guess on them buying any of the big 3 surely it would be Walgreens.

Back
Top Bottom